Adam

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Adam

Post by Howlan »

I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

:techie-studyingbrown: j
Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
But of course, the story went the way most young Adult stories go leaving me a tiny bit disappointed.
Any thoughts about how wrong I am or do you in the tiniest corner of your heart believe Adam being the villain would have been worth it?
I definitely got an anti-hero sense from Adam as well. The beginning of the book was also much more mature than the rest of the book. I feel it was quite misleading!
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I agree. I ended up not being able to get through the beginning because Adam was too much for me. He was too negative and angry and I couldn't decide what it was he was angry about.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I think there is the possibility of Adam being an anti hero in the next installment. He is still just a seventeen year old kid, so he could still go either way. If anything happens to Carly or JoAnna, he could go dark. Without Carly as a guiding light, he could easily leave many Terrys in his wake. Adam as an anti hero would make a great story.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I really liked his character development for the most part. I did feel like it could have been made more realistic (by making it more slow-going instead of as fast as it was), but I generally do like sort-of redemption arcs. The one thing I was not super fond of was Carly's acceptance of his past behavior without even really talking to him about it. That seemed strange to me because it felt like she was purposefully just "helping" him and that was the basis for their romantic relationship. It's not a trope I'm fond of.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign -
I thought Adam was a complex character and in the sample which is all I have read, he was trying to understand what was happening inside himself. I would like to see a less troubled Adam and learn what his special powers were all about.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

Although I'm still in the early chapters of the book, I somehow like Adam's character and I'm enjoying the book.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Yes ,at the beggining,Adam seemed an underhero but maybe the author is preparing him for the next pageturner.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Personally, I'm glad Adam didn't end up the villain, but I agree that in the beginning, he did seem shady. He was also obnoxious at first! If he had been the villain I think I would have been disappointed!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Howlan wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 01:46 I felt that at the beginning of the story Adam was quite shady, and had a lot of bad business going on though some of them were explained. Still, at the beginning I felt that the story is of an anti-hero in the making and that is Adam himself. I feel that Adam as a anti-hero hero would really have some interesting character-developments.
I haven't read the book so I can't really tell if villifying Adam would have made the book better. It certainly would not have been expected. But since I don't like it when a story is predictable, maybe Adam as an anti-hero wouldn't have been such a bad idea. I don't think the target audience of this book would like that very much though.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Adam's thoughts and actions, in the beginning, made me not like him, and I even almost stopped reading the book. So, I was glad that he was able to curb his evil side with the help of Carly and realize who he was and why he had certain feelings.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 07:57 :techie-studyingbrown: j
I definitely got an anti-hero sense from Adam as well. The beginning of the book was also much more mature than the rest of the book. I feel it was quite misleading!
It did feel a bit misleading, also that it lagged in a few areas. I liked parts of it and then towards the end I almost stopped reading when I thought Carly actually...well I don't know if we're allowed to discuss spoilers ha, but when she was believed to be "gone". I had to stop and go "Wait, what?" Hahah
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

This post sort of relates to the other mental health conversation in this forum. Adam is a super complex character and would have made total sense as the villain. I personally would have liked that twist better. I agree that it could still go that route in another book!
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Post by SirLaddie »

I was not fond of the main character, Adam. In fact, I was so turned off by his psychotic personality I almost put the book down. I understand the author's desire to portray him as a psychopath but it was too overly psychotic and didn't need to be that severe. It was a major turn off for me, especially it being young-adult fiction.
Megapede
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megapede.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Megapede »

lwahls2 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 08:44 This post sort of relates to the other mental health conversation in this forum. Adam is a super complex character and would have made total sense as the villain. I personally would have liked that twist better. I agree that it could still go that route in another book!
Though if Adam went that route with his character it would have been a little disappointing and a bit cliche. But I agree that it would have been an intriguing experience.
"Forget everything that you think you know." - Doctor Strange

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”