Favourite Mutant power

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Re: Favourite Mutant power

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

My favorite is definitely Rye's ability to teleport, it's so useful. I'd love to be able to teleport.
ninski
Favorite Book: Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninski.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ninski »

I would defninately not choose to have pyrokinesis like Carly, I´d be worried that I might start up fires whilst sleeping and dreaming without meaning to :shock:
Flying like Adam, yep, why not? Except I´d be worried about crashing into power lines or something.
As you can see, I´m a worrier.
Telepathy would be awesome. Except if you discover somebody is thinking something bad about you whilst you are snooping around in their brain. Ouch!
“The problem with fiction, it has to be plausible. That's not true with non-fiction.”
Tom Wolfe
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

ninski wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 10:16 I would defninately not choose to have pyrokinesis like Carly, I´d be worried that I might start up fires whilst sleeping and dreaming without meaning to :shock:
Flying like Adam, yep, why not? Except I´d be worried about crashing into power lines or something.
As you can see, I´m a worrier.
Telepathy would be awesome. Except if you discover somebody is thinking something bad about you whilst you are snooping around in their brain. Ouch!
This post made me laugh, you are so right! I think you might be the only one to acknowledge that there are negatives to each of the powers if you aren't careful! ( I am a fellow Warrior Worrier :muahaha: )
Telepathy always seemed like a double-edged sword to me... It would be cool, but what if you couldn't control it and you were just always flooded with everyone's thoughts?
That's why I liked Rye's teleporting ability... I don't think I would be able to mess it up too much!! (although... what if I pop up somewhere and give someone a heart attack :o ???)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 22:26 My favorite is definitely Rye's ability to teleport, it's so useful. I'd love to be able to teleport.
I would totally use it to sleep in longer! And I would never be late for work! (ok... i would still probably find a way to be late... but it would help!)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

corinaelena wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:04 All of them! haha, I would love to have powers. Beggars can't be choosers I guess, lol
good point!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

nfdoughe wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 16:18 Personally I found some of the powers to be a stretch. I realized we're talking about made up powers, but still. They were odd at best, especially how they had numerous that sometimes seemed to have nothing to do with each other. I'd probably choose Mariah, though, because she can always get to safety and save other people too.
I found the rating system to be a little weird myself... And giving so many people powers and quickly get borning... especially since it felt like some of the characters/their powers were created as an out of a sorts... like the author just created some of the powers for convenience sake.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Rayasaurus wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 13:03 I agree with KDJ, passing along all of the information from previous generations seems like an incredibly useful power, and in a way it prevents its users from truly dying. It's a really interesting concept as well, and I really enjoyed that. Personally I would like to have Rye's power; I'd never have to worry about running late again, and I wouldn't have any more commute! It would be amazing.
Right? and vacations would be much more interesting!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 09:17 I fancy the thought of metamorphosis. Been tolerating the thought of changing into various forms and given a fantasy chance, I don't think I'd be contented anytime soon.
That would be cool! I've always loved the idea of transforming into animals!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 22:47 I really liked Rye’s powers and if I could have powers, it would be hers combined with Duama’s.

A teeny part of me wants Val’s.
You'd probably be able to make a lot of money with Val's haha People could pay you to trip out! :lol2:
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Tars wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 10:45 My favorite would be flying. People dreamed about it for centuries, leading to great inventions. But it is altogether different to be able fly by yourself)
That's a good point!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

LyorBoone wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 17:11
thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 02:02 The guy that shot stuff out of a hole in his chest struck me as an oddity.
Yeah, it makes me think of a few x-men characters, like Spyke who shoots spikes in a porcupine fashion and another x-man had something like x-ray vision from the chest... It's stuff that may pass as visually appealing if done right, but it's definitely weird to put a lot of thought on it.
you got that right! Some of those powers are definitely a double-edged sword!
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

redrockwolf wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 13:00 Carly's and Dauma's powers were very cool. I like Dauma's ability to thoroughly read a person and Carly's complete control of fire. The merge was cool. Carly will be able to pass down all the knowledge from herself, her mother, and her ancestors, to her next generation. Adam's power of flight was up there, in my book, too. I imagined Carly and Adam using their skills together: a powerful fire, guided by the wind. The combination of these two would be cool!
You make an interesting observation... Fire can definately be affected by air... it can either feed it or put it out! I wonder if that will be important later.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Katherine Smith wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 19:08 I like Rye's powers the best because teleporting sounds like the best way to get anywhere you wanted. As a resident of Southern California and Los Angeles County where traffic is a normal occurrence, I would never have to worry about being late to work ever again. I also like the Adam's power because even though I am scared of heights, I would love to fly.
I would love the extra 20 mins it would let me sleep in everyday! and I bet if you could fly, you wouldn't be so scared of heights (since falling is usually the scary part haha)
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Amy747 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 07:22 I think that being able to pass on your knowledge would be great because future generations would become smarter and hopefully use that knowledge to improve things.
Can you imagine what would happen if the person was evil though? They could possibly just past down their hate...
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Julianna wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 22:05 Teleportation has always fascinated me. The ability to think of a place and be there within seconds... that would give lunch break a new name.
Hmmm I think I am going to lunch in Paris today!

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”