Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

S1234 wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 15:31 It's not a predictable young adult fiction story. I would argue it's not a young adult book due to the dark themes explored. I understand why some people would be put off if they are expecting a coming of age style story. There are light moments but I would assume this would be suited for an audience that enjoys dark psychological thrillers.
According to what you wrote, this is not something I normally read. But given the elements mentioned and the fact that it's not a predictable young adult fiction story (which made me laugh) I think I might like it.
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

ivana7 wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 02:33
S1234 wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 15:31 It's not a predictable young adult fiction story. I would argue it's not a young adult book due to the dark themes explored. I understand why some people would be put off if they are expecting a coming of age style story. There are light moments but I would assume this would be suited for an audience that enjoys dark psychological thrillers.
According to what you wrote, this is not something I normally read. But given the elements mentioned and the fact that it's not a predictable young adult fiction story (which made me laugh) I think I might like it.
Please, let me warn you, it has a weird beginning. I don't want to spoil it but I'd recommend reading some reviews and the synopsis before going ahead. I wish someone had warned me before I started, just so I could have been prepared. :tiphat:
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

From the review you will know the book is worth reading . I am a big fan of sci- fiction . I really like Adam I’m this book and how he was developed .
KimberlyS88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlys88.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KimberlyS88 »

I haven’t read this one yet but I intend to very soon. I have really enjoyed reading others opinions on this book and am looking forward to giving my own.
S1234
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s1234.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by S1234 »

S1234 wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 06:29
ivana7 wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 02:33
Please, let me warn you, it has an uncomfortable beginning. I don't want to spoil it but I'd recommend reading some reviews and the synopsis before going ahead. I wish someone had warned me before I started, just so I could have been prepared. :tiphat:
Sminnich
Currently Reading: Through My Daughter's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sminnich.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Sminnich »

Overall this was a good book. I gotta admit that in the beginning I was weirded out by the incest like vibes going on, but as the book progressed it made sense. I loved how the characters evolved as the book went on and the relationship between the main characters. I would recommend this book for people to read.
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

From the comments the book seems interesting. I must check it out.
Fabian
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

I have read a few reviews and comments about this book but have not had the chance to read it yet. Most people seem to love it so I will definitely give it a read some time soon.
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ariely 20 »

Have not read this book yet although its on my reading list. Seen a lot of really good reviews. Looking forward to an enjoyable experience.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

this book was very interesting. i loved the way how the relationship Adam and Carly was described throughout the story. this created visual images in the minds of the readers and the emotions of the reader as well according to my point of view. Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign is a good book
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I am only a few pages into the book and I already love it. It reads well and thows you immediately into the conflict.
MA
Aquilis
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aquilis.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Aquilis »

I was really disappointed to be honest. I can't stand Adam as a character, he is just too 'male power fantasy' gone wrong, and it is something that has just been done to death in YA. Carly is little better, with little further purpose than to be the love interest and reigns on Adam.

The general story wasn't so bad, but again nothing so special or original there. I was kind of hoping for a darker Artemis Fowl or similar from the synopsis .
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I loved the book completely. I rate it 4 out of 4 the character flow was to the point. My favourite characters were Adam and Carly. Death of Terry really saddened me though I hope it would have a different outcome.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The book deserves a perfect rating of 4 out of 4. My favourite characters are Adam and Carly. The book's character development is good and the book is engaging.
marcoguzman59
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marcoguzman59 »

I am not done reading the but yet but what I have read so far is really exciting like the fact that is a suspense book which traps you to keep reading to see what will happen next, I will definitely recommend this book. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”