Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Njkinny
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Empowered
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njkinny.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Njkinny »

I have heard so much about this book and just could not wait any longer to read it. So I picked it up and I am currently reading this book. Till now, I have had a starting dose of Adam’s character that isn’t very likeable. His anger at everyone and unhealthy fascination with his mother has me feeling a bit uneasy about reading the book further but with Carly’s introduction, I am hopeful that the story will interest me. So I am going to persevere and read ahead.
Njkinny :techie-reference:
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by mishkaat »

I have not still complete this book .I liked carley' mother character the most And her death is most dislikedthing for me.
tenkabell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tenkabell »

The character of Carly was a stand out, overall the story has great character development which I as the reader I really enjoyed and was intrigued by all the characters in the book which kept me reading. I would definitely recommend this book. 4 stars
ninski
Favorite Book: Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninski.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ninski »

I have never read a young adult book before but the reviews for this book were so positive that I tried it and am so pleased I did. I gobbled it up in no time at all. Highlights for me included the well crafted character development and the way book manages to distinguish itself amongst stiff competition from more famous examples of the teenage super-ability genre.
“The problem with fiction, it has to be plausible. That's not true with non-fiction.”
Tom Wolfe
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

alanabie wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 12:21 So I'm not finished with this book but if I had to rate it right now it would be 1/4stars. Adam is insufferable, and I do not think I can continue to choke down incest fantasies. Please tell me it gets better.
Um, I didn't think so. Some moderately interesting takes on superhuman abilities....
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
jasmine_2020
Currently Reading: Old Stone Face
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by jasmine_2020 »

I enjoyed this book. I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars rating. I didn’t want to put it down. It was a story about how a young boy was a social outcast and he considered everybody else to be sheep. He kept mostly to himself. That was until the new girl Carly came to town.
He started feeling a strong connection to her and they ended up together. Later on he found out he was adopted. So he went on a trip with Carly to try and find out about his birth parents. Little did he know he was into a adventure of a lifetime. He made new friends and even got approval from Carly’s mother. I liked this story because it had history to it about the different bloodlines and there was action when they went to find Adam’s birth mother.
It was a sad ending because Adam ended up losing his adoptive father who he never liked. But was just about to make amends with but the Enemy had captured him and he was accidentally killed in battle. Then Carly’s mother merged with Carly to make her stronger. She told Carly now I will always be with you. But it was also a new beginning for Adam and Carly. They found out they had a unbreakable bond.
I recommend this book to anybody who is into adventure and who likes to read about history, when it comes to family history and discovering your family roots.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

You have to love good character development! I guiltily love reading about dark characters, though it is nice that Adam becomes an entirely new person by the end. Sci-fi generally isn't my genre of choice, but the romance helps. Too bad about the errors; I'm very picky about grammar and tend to get distracted by mistakes.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

The author managed to make me feel almost all emotions portrayed in this tale. For that, opaque deserves a perfect 4 out of 4 stars.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
rath010
Currently Reading: Forgotten
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rath010.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by rath010 »

This is my first book review for the site and I honestly hard a difficult time digesting the material. The author's writing style was distracting - too many choppy sentence, poor flow, and a lot of syntax error. Additionally, the first impressions of Adam are that he has an Oedipus complex and an unhealthy obsessive, angry personality. This did not improve with time for me, personally. I usually love YA, but this was pretty dark for a YA novel. I personally say 1 out of 4 stars . I seem to be the minority, but reading is all about a variety of opinion!
bmfought
Currently Reading: Resisting the Bad Boy
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmfought.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bmfought »

I really enjoyed this book. It was written very well and made me go out of my normal genre. I had the PDF file and didn't quite like the format but overall it was a solid 3 star! I'm about to start the next book because I liked it so much :D
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

Based on one of the reviews on this book, I can't grasp what the genre is. I did get that it is sci-fi, but I want to know which kind. Is this more on supernatural, outer space, the next dimension? I wanted to know more.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

*Slight spoilers*

Honestly, there were things I liked and things I disliked. First, there were grammar and spelling errors consistently throughout. But second, as far as the book, and a couple of us were talking on one of my posts, there was no justice for Terry. The girl in the beginning he liked. The fact that he was full-on prepared to rape her and then kills her and that really was that. Yes, Carly took care of it for him. But it was really pointless to add that in, it was never really spoken of again and it didn't really add much. Except for maybe showing how he had those tendencies and didn't act on it. I mean, her death was because of him. Someone pointed out it didn't happen to him, it happened because of him. He was in the wrong and it got glossed over and it was all treated very dismissively and casual.
I do like Carly and Kane's friendship. There were just things I liked and didn't like ha
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
mishkaat
Currently Reading:

Post by mishkaat »

This is not of my type but I enjoyed this book .o would recommend this to children and young adults.
mishkaat
Currently Reading:

Post by mishkaat »

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is professionally edited n have nice story .
Tigereetiger2010
Currently Reading: A Child Called "It"
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigereetiger2010.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Tigereetiger2010 »

alanabie wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 12:21 So I'm not finished with this book but if I had to rate it right now it would be 1/4stars. Adam is insufferable, and I do not think I can continue to choke down incest fantasies. Please tell me it gets better.
It does get better in my personal opinion. I'm the leaat it becomes more or less explained

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”