I swear!

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Rachel_Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Re: I swear!

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

Kenesha L Fowler wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 04:15
blessing_bona wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 06:03 I didn't think that the book will end up with so swearing. To put bible verses and so much sweating in one place must take a lot of skill.
:D You know, I did wonder about that. It seemed a little incongruous. But since the characters themselves weren't particularly religious, I'm not sure how much bearing the verses had on the book. It'd be nice to ask the author about that.
The author really used tactics to infuse loads of swearing and bible quotes. What a talent. :D
#RecordBreaker
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Rachel_Emmanuel wrote: 26 Apr 2020, 05:10
Kenesha L Fowler wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 04:15
blessing_bona wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 06:03 I didn't think that the book will end up with so swearing. To put bible verses and so much sweating in one place must take a lot of skill.
:D You know, I did wonder about that. It seemed a little incongruous. But since the characters themselves weren't particularly religious, I'm not sure how much bearing the verses had on the book. It'd be nice to ask the author about that.
The author really used tactics to infuse loads of swearing and bible quotes. What a talent. :D
I had never thought of this but you are all so right! It does seem a little bit contradictory to use so much swearing along with Bible quotes.
mrwrite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrwrite.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by mrwrite »

I think they were just being themselves and those were the things they said. I can understand at times it seems a bit much but I like it.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

mrwrite wrote: 13 May 2020, 03:17 I think they were just being themselves and those were the things they said. I can understand at times it seems a bit much but I like it.
And that's what I felt, too. Thanks for commenting.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

AnnObiageri wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 22:17 Yes, there were a lot of swearing in the book but it was not really offensive to me at least. I think it added character to the book as a whole, even as it was along side religious uotes and verses
Well, I personally have problems with swear words so I thought it was excessive. About it adding character, I just find it funny that the swearing was placed along side religious quotes and verses.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

I believe that a true measure of a man is not measured by the profuse swearing. I believe this was done intentionally in the book to reinforce the concept of masculinity, nonetheless.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

readerrihana wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 09:24 I was off-put by it, and I don't see it as particularly manly. You can be a man without swearing,

Actually gentlemen do not swear
Very true. One can be a man without swearing. I didn't really like the swearing in the book.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

gelli_baranda wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 21:07 I believe that a true measure of a man is not measured by the profuse swearing. I believe this was done intentionally in the book to reinforce the concept of masculinity, nonetheless.
Yes... a concept of masculinity makes sense. For some reason some people really think swearing makes them manly.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Initially, I didn't even notice the swearing, probably because I am not accustomed to looking for swearing, at least in books, and I almost hate to admit this, but I almost see cussing as some weird, male bonding ritual. I used to work in a warehouse environment with a ratio of about 7/40 female/male ratio, mostly college students, and I found that generally speaking, men do not behave THAT badly, even in large groups, but, they still have more of a tendency for "imperfect" behavior. One could say the same of women regarding other actions, I'm sure. I attended a Baptist church group as a youth and we couldn't say things like "Oh my gosh!" or "Oh jeez!" because it was too close to using the lords name in vain - if you aren't in the habit, it's not problematic. This whole topic kind of reminds me to pay more attention to this because people should be able to express themselves in ways other than cussing.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I think including the swearing makes it feel more authentic and gives the characters more of a genuine voice! Not everyone swears, obviously, but some people swear frequently and I think that should be able to be reflected in novels.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think swearing fits very nicely into the whole theme of manliness.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Kenesha L Fowler wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 09:20 There was a lot of swearing in Man Mission. Sometimes the men were downright crude. I imagine that there are some who might find this distasteful, but as I said in my review of the book, I was not at all out off by their rudeness. I felt that it fit in with the overall theme of manliness. None of it seemed forced, as I've sometimes felt was the case in other books.

What do you think about the characters' copious use of profanity?
I agree with you that the overall swearing was in line with the theme of the book. It also gave it a sort of authenticity. I didn't have a problem with it at all.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Cussing amongst men is a sign of familiarity and comfort. We don't cuss around in formal settings, but when in the cameraderie of friends, lots of lips are loosened.

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

I think they were actually just being themselves. It made it seem real and their conversations too. It's exactly how you would imagine guys speaking to each other. They had all that obsession with manliness going on, so it was expected of them.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

gelli_baranda wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 21:07 I believe that a true measure of a man is not measured by the profuse swearing. I believe this was done intentionally in the book to reinforce the concept of masculinity, nonetheless.
Exactly my thought. I did not read much meaning into the profuse swearing.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”