Which woman did you like best?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Re: Which woman did you like best?

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I think I would have to say Rachel. She was easily relatable to me, being a mother.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

Isn wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 15:27 Evie's personality stood out for me. Even Pamela was good. I wish, author had written more about them.
I thought the same thing but then... It is a book that is written from a man's perspective
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

LianaMayhew wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 17:51 I think I would have to say Rachel. She was easily relatable to me, being a mother.
Agree and the author wrote the most about her.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

This may be a little off topic, but do you recall the scene where the narrator says that women don't keep it all in and explode, they lose themselves in stuff. Like Rachael's obsessive trips to the gym, they just absent themselves to unfulfilling circumstances. The author's characters seem to miss the fact that their man missions fit the same use.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I think Rachel is my favorite. She's the character who appears bad but I think she was herself. Despite having a huge attitude that was her downfall no one can fault her for wanting to keep her family safe and well.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

djr6090 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 19:23 This may be a little off topic, but do you recall the scene where the narrator says that women don't keep it all in and explode, they lose themselves in stuff. Like Rachael's obsessive trips to the gym, they just absent themselves to unfulfilling circumstances. The author's characters seem to miss the fact that their man missions fit the same use.
Yes I thought that was a bit weird, actually I think women mostly explode and start yelling when they have bottled up their emotions too long. As least the women I know are like that. :D
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

DorcasToo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 03:01 I think Rachel is my favorite. She's the character who appears bad but I think she was herself. Despite having a huge attitude that was her downfall no one can fault her for wanting to keep her family safe and well.
Totally agree. At times, I just wanted to scream, "show her you care!!" At the book. It felt like the men here were just thinking about themselves but at the same I think the author may have just not added enough detail about women and their family life.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Pamela seemed like an easygoing and understanding character and Sarah seemed very laid back in contrast to Rachel. However, I think it is a little too easy to be hard on Rachel. She seems like a devoted mother to the children. The communication breakdown between Rachel and the narrator rests on him as well.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Shabram22 wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 11:27
djr6090 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 19:23 This may be a little off topic, but do you recall the scene where the narrator says that women don't keep it all in and explode, they lose themselves in stuff. Like Rachael's obsessive trips to the gym, they just absent themselves to unfulfilling circumstances. The author's characters seem to miss the fact that their man missions fit the same use.
Yes I thought that was a bit weird, actually I think women mostly explode and start yelling when they have bottled up their emotions too long. As least the women I know are like that. :D
I'm not at all like that. I come from a family where my thoughts and concerns were always laughed at and written off as "just a girl" having "too many feelings," so I learned early on to stuff my feelings. People are used to me being very tolerant and forgiving but if I get stepped on too many times, I blow. When that happens, people are always surprised and I find myself astounded that they were completely unaware of how disrespectful they were being where I was concerned.
I think it is not wise to assume that "all women are like X where all men are like Y." Men and women tend to be conditioned in certain ways, but people are individuals.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:09 Pamela seemed like an easygoing and understanding character and Sarah seemed very laid back in contrast to Rachel. However, I think it is a little too easy to be hard on Rachel. She seems like a devoted mother to the children. The communication breakdown between Rachel and the narrator rests on him as well.
I liked one thing that Rachel said, it was when she mentioned the "D" word and he started crying. Quoted:
“Look, I am sorry this has upset you so much,” Rachel said, her voice now quiet again, but also hard as steel. “Things got a bit heated, I know, and we really have to get better at talking to each other."
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Honestly, I thought the women were all a little flat and/or unrealistic, or maybe just described from a biased perspective. I didn't really come away from the book with an impression of any of them. For me, it was more interesting to get insight into what goes on in men's minds.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

I liked Sarah the best because of her carefree spirit and the fact that she supported the protagonist on his travels. Pamela is also great because she was supportive, but I don't like that she micromanaged her kids for a time.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

Frances019 wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 20:17 I liked Sarah the best because of her carefree spirit and the fact that she supported the protagonist on his travels. Pamela is also great because she was supportive, but I don't like that she micromanaged her kids for a time.
Yes, I liked Sarah too. Too bad there is very little information about her.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

unamilagra wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 17:51 Honestly, I thought the women were all a little flat and/or unrealistic, or maybe just described from a biased perspective. I didn't really come away from the book with an impression of any of them. For me, it was more interesting to get insight into what goes on in men's minds.
I totally agree with you Unamilagra! I too thought the women to be a little flat (with the exception of Rachael who I felt was extreme partly due to her own doing but mostly her husband). The insight on what goes on in men's minds was very interesting.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:

Post by Shabram22 »

unamilagra wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 17:51 Honestly, I thought the women were all a little flat and/or unrealistic, or maybe just described from a biased perspective. I didn't really come away from the book with an impression of any of them. For me, it was more interesting to get insight into what goes on in men's minds.
I liked that the book was written from a man's perspective.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”