Lessons on relationships and marriage from the main protagonist

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Lessons on relationships and marriage from the main protagonist

Post by Chipochashe »

The main protagonist has a divorce, Daniel suffers a separation, Sam feels he is floating and Alec needs counseling before he could commit. What lessons can we draw from their relationships?
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

The main protagonist was under a lot of stress when he committed his infidelity. Ultimately, he had a weak moment and allowed it to overcome him. He only truly felt the effects of his actions when he was confronted in Vietnam. I believe he learned a lesson that he desperately needed to learn. Even when he met Sarah, he still thought of Rachel and his absence in the life of his children. He still reminisced about how beautiful Rachel was when they met and about how much he misses her. I think we need to learn from that to communicate and appreciate your spouse no matter what the situation is. The lack of those necessities is ultimately what drew them apart in my opinion.

Daniel did the right thing, in my opinion. He realized that his woman had been unhappy for a long time. He respected her need for space and moved into an apartment, whilst seeking counseling. The counseling ultimately worked, and after a healthy time apart, he and Pam are better than ever. A lot can be learned about this. I don't believe he was giving up by succumbing to the separation. I feel that if he forced the relationship by staying in the home during counseling, it may have had a different effect.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I think the concept of self sacrifice as a required marital element needs a serious going over. Spouses should be doing what they do for each other because it makes them happy, not because it's oart of the "Relationship Rulebook."
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Marriage takes work, but it’s hard to put in the work when any one of the pair is absent. For soldiers, nothing is taken for granted because death is always on the mind. But for astronauts it is much easier to forget about those left behind while adventuring in Space. And in this case, the wives will find it easier to resent their husbands with less dangers to worry about. In comparison, Space is like a dream vacation they miss out on. So being busy isn’t a valid excuse for taking the life back at home for granted.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I learned that we can't serve two masters. I think the root cause of the negative effects on the characters marriage and relationship is the fact that they weren't able to balance their devotion towards their love for adventure and married life. Staying away from your family can have a negative impact.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Marriage might or might not work is the biggest lesson of all. But I think being the bigger person and accepting you are wrong is what I take with me. All the four men have different paths when it comes to marriage and relationships meaning our destinies are different, we just have to live with it.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

LyorBoone wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 23:24 Marriage takes work, but it’s hard to put in the work when any one of the pair is absent. For soldiers, nothing is taken for granted because death is always on the mind. But for astronauts it is much easier to forget about those left behind while adventuring in Space. And in this case, the wives will find it easier to resent their husbands with less dangers to worry about. In comparison, Space is like a dream vacation they miss out on. So being busy isn’t a valid excuse for taking the life back at home for granted.
True. Couples should always choose each other rather than choosing things that brings them temporary gratification.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

The narrator and Rachel behaved like they signed a contract, so they followed some rules and expected the marriage to work. They didn't seem aware that a relationship changes in time, so the spouses need to keep "in synch" if they want it to keep on working. Communications seemed quite poor in their marriage.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:50 The narrator and Rachel behaved like they signed a contract, so they followed some rules and expected the marriage to work. They didn't seem aware that a relationship changes in time, so the spouses need to keep "in synch" if they want it to keep on working. Communications seemed quite poor in their marriage.
I agree with you there. In both of the cases, communication seems to be the biggest problem.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

djr6090 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 19:47 I think the concept of self sacrifice as a required marital element needs a serious going over. Spouses should be doing what they do for each other because it makes them happy, not because it's oart of the "Relationship Rulebook."
I agree, you shouldn't be going into a relationship to make the other person happy.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Wamakima wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 05:47
djr6090 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 19:47 I think the concept of self sacrifice as a required marital element needs a serious going over. Spouses should be doing what they do for each other because it makes them happy, not because it's oart of the "Relationship Rulebook."
I agree, you shouldn't be going into a relationship to make the other person happy.
There really are men who make up ideal women rules. My baby brother shared his with me after he graduated college and was in the market for a bride. I told him to let the perfect woman find HIM, not to use an inflexible yardstick. His first marriage (according to the rules) ended in disaster. His second wife found him, guess where? Barnes and Noble! I thought the bookclub might get a kick out of this.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

djr6090 wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 11:10
There really are men who make up ideal women rules. My baby brother shared his with me after he graduated college and was in the market for a bride. I told him to let the perfect woman find HIM, not to use an inflexible yardstick. His first marriage (according to the rules) ended in disaster. His second wife found him, guess where? Barnes and Noble! I thought the bookclub might get a kick out of this.
That's an interesting insight... I mean, besides establishing the importance of bookclubs... :mrgreen: seriously, people and relationships can't be measured with a ruler. Thinking about this novel convinced me even more that in relationships a real connection is crucial, and that's something intangible.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

I agree. The issue I have with the main protagonist is that he lived most of his live out of obligations rather than what he wanted to do.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:

Post by Frannie Annie »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:50 The narrator and Rachel behaved like they signed a contract, so they followed some rules and expected the marriage to work. They didn't seem aware that a relationship changes in time, so the spouses need to keep "in synch" if they want it to keep on working. Communications seemed quite poor in their marriage.
True, I think that a lot of people forget that their partner will change over time.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:

Post by Frannie Annie »

djr6090 wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 11:10
Wamakima wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 05:47
I do find that oddly fitting :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”