What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Post by Melchi Asuma »

It is quite difficult switching between present narration and flashbacks. That said, pulling them off, as has been done here, creates an awesome read.
MA
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Nerea wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 14:37 Personally I think the author did a diligent job switching the past and present events. He was careful to make sure that the reader does not lose track of the story line.
I agree that the switchbacks were done seamlessly. It's tricky business to move back and forth between tenses and scenarios but I never felt lost or confused within the multiple storylines.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

eastandalchemy wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 13:56 I agree that the switchbacks were done seamlessly. It's tricky business to move back and forth between tenses and scenarios but I never felt lost or confused within the multiple storylines.
That's a large part of what makes it an enjoyable read, isn't it? I really dislike books where I lose the train of the storyline of the disparate threads.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
nefitzgerald
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nefitzgerald.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by nefitzgerald »

The switches were fairly effortless and quite incredibly, not at all confusing, with the past events mostly bearing relevance to the present.
My only criticism is that sometimes, the past events seemed to come to an abrupt end where it felt something else needed to be added to conclude the event or make some sort of point.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

nefitzgerald wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 11:20 The switches were fairly effortless and quite incredibly, not at all confusing, with the past events mostly bearing relevance to the present.
My only criticism is that sometimes, the past events seemed to come to an abrupt end where it felt something else needed to be added to conclude the event or make some sort of point.
That's a good point. Over all, though, it truly was amazing how seamlessly the past and the present were woven together in the book. He's truly a skilled writer.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
Anonymus
Currently Reading: A Year Of The Teacher
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Anonymus »

I think that the author was able to maintain this quite well. Just a personal preference, but even though the author wrote it quite well, I would rather have it be just present. The book was still very good though!
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

I enjoyed the flashbacks. Most of the plot was told through flashbacks, and it was great. The missions seemed like times to reflect about their lives.
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Switching between reality and flashbacks is always a tough task when writing a book. I felt that the author executed it with a touch of class. I didn't have any difficulty following the story.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

I would not mind flashbacks, especially if it helps to build a character or to develop the story. But I find frequent jumps from the current scenes to the pasts a bit confusing. I have to constantly check where the story actually is.
TXwriter56
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-txwriter56.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by TXwriter56 »

While Uliel was very skilled at switching between the present and mini-flashbacks, I was more impressed with the way he wove together the story of physical challenges with mental and life challenges. I believe the Man Mission was truly a life mission more than a travelogue.

That said, his primary focus was on the trips and boys, not on their broader lives. I would have enjoyed the novel more if they'd been more balanced, especially as the descriptions of the fifteen trips started to drag and blur.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

TXwriter56 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 20:27 While Uliel was very skilled at switching between the present and mini-flashbacks, I was more impressed with the way he wove together the story of physical challenges with mental and life challenges. I believe the Man Mission was truly a life mission more than a travelogue.

That said, his primary focus was on the trips and boys, not on their broader lives. I would have enjoyed the novel more if they'd been more balanced, especially as the descriptions of the fifteen trips started to drag and blur.
Hmmm. Very intriguing and insightful comment. Thanks for sharing!! :tiphat:
Laura Lee

Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

The author was able to show the flashbacks in a flawless way. I normally find books that jump back and forth like this rather hard to read and stay with the story, but in this case, I was able to follow the story without any problems as all and now what was a flashback and what was not. Wonderfully written!
Lexiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexiem.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Lexiem »

I normally do not like this type of writing and think the switching from past to present is confusing, but I think this author did a very good job when writing this book and using this style made the book even better.
Avoclaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avoclaw.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Avoclaw »

As with any book jumping constantly between past and present, there's always the risk of confusion, though as you've put it, Uliel does it skillfully enough such that I felt that the continuity of the story is more enhanced rather than diminished by his choice of this constant "time jumping".
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by mishkaat »

It was a bit difficult to go backward and forward .

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”