Which character is the most well-rounded?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Queenyx
Currently Reading: Guidebook of How to Obtain Pureness of Heart Required to Enter Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenyx.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Re: Which character is the most well-rounded?

Post by Queenyx »

Daniel's character was well developed and explicitly detailed. Which is why I couldn't help but fall in love with being him if I were to be a man in my next life. Lol
Reagan Reg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reagan-reg.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Reagan Reg »

Daniel is the all rounded character in the book. He is so organized in all his undertakings but still have his own share of flaws. His marriage with Pamela does not end well. He represent the typical person in society, everyone with goodness must have his flaws.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

Daniel seems to be the most organized person. And with such organization in a person's life he would seem well rounded. Daniel it is.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

habsfan212 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 18:50 I was not sure about Daniel at first, he seemed too perfect for me. However, when he realized Pamela and he were unhappy, the character really grew up in my opinion. He was no longer judging. He understood what life is about and worked through his issues. That makes him the most well-rounded to me.
This is very true! I also found him 'too perfect' at first and I would have described Sam as most well-rounded but I do think Daniel grew up and became a bit more normal when he started having some problems.
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I thought Sam was more well rounded as, like a Neanderthal, he is practical and an optimist. He is the one who lights fires in the Man Missions.
Estrellah254
Currently Reading: Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estrellah254.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Estrellah254 »

I think Daniel is the most well-rounded among the four. He is well organized and responsible.
alicia_fountain
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8717">The Brothers Karamazov</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-fountain.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by alicia_fountain »

It seems weird that some people are suggesting that well-roundedness is equal to well put together. A well-rounded character, in my opinion, is one that has had their personality fully filled out. I mean, a character can have a house, family, one pet dog, and one pet cat, their dream job, etc., but have a flat personality that doesn't do anything for the story. I've felt that issue with the book I'm currently reading: Shepherds of Destiny. One of the main characters is a doctor and has studied how to download a human brain into a cyborg. While that is super cool in itself, the character doesn't actually have a personality other than "I'm a doctor and should be professional, so I will always speak in a certain manner, I will always act in a certain manner, I will never deviate from the rules set forth for the kind of person I should be." It's almost robotic.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Undoubtedly, Daniel has the most well-rounded character. He knows how to put himself together and is very organized. Eric also grew up as the story evolved but I'd stick with Daniel
pantsyjean25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by pantsyjean25 »

Daniel is a very well rounded character and is almost like a thread that holds everyone else together. However, the main protagonist is the most realistic, because he has imperfections and flaws, and those are what make us human. Because let's be honest, almost no one is as well rounded as Daniel.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

B Creech wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 11:50
Nerea wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 05:08 True, Daniel's character is fully developed. But on the other hand, I think the protagonist too because his character reveals imperfection (no human is perfect). And his ability to take care of other responsibilities in his life despite his personal weaknesses earns him a plus. The protagonist course of life as well as his limitations perfectly portray what majority today experience.
That's a great point, I never thought to look at the protagonist that way. I agree, no person is perfect. Thank you for commenting.
I too never consider a protagonist's weak sides.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I felt that the protagonist was realistic as well, having imperfections like all humans and struggling throughout the novel to find a way to become a better man, sometimes choosing the wrong path.
Ciao :)
Massimo
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

I'm digging Daniel for the most well-developed character. Not perfect, but well-developed.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

gelli_baranda wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 23:34 I'm digging Daniel for the most well-developed character. Not perfect, but well-developed.
I think his character development/arc was the most developed in the book! The person he was at the beginning was so completely different from the man he was at the end. His change was more pronounced than the protagonist's in my opinion
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

B Creech wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 14:18 The four men in the story are good, long-time friends but are so different. The main protagonist seems wimpy to me. He's a follower, not a leader. Eric is a playboy. He wants to party and womanize!. Sam is a good athlete and likes a challenge. Daniel is organized, a good athlete, and seems to go with the flow. Of the four, I think Daniel is the most well-rounded, although I have never known a man that organized! What are your thoughts? Who do you think is the most well-rounded of the four?
I agree with your descriptions of them (although I think you mean Alec not Eric) but I think each of them are okay and all have their individual strengths and weaknesses.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

Daniel. Because, he's more relatable. Everyone can't be a leader. And Daniel is the follower type. He takes care of the execution and organisation part in the Man Missions and plays an instrumental role in their execution.

:tiphat:
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”