Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Post by Connie Otwani »

I know poor communication is a verified relationship killer. All the same, I think Rachel's attitude played a big role in the final fall-out. I mean, I found her unsupportive (heck, she was opposed to man mission from day 1), selfish (wouldn't go to work), bitter and a loner (she didn't reach out to the "wives committee).

On the other hand, maybe its just that the main protagonist's character (whose name I don't remember seeing) was better fleshed out. We didn't get to hear her side of the story.

What do you opine?
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I have to agree with you about Rachel; she didn't seem to take into account the main character's happiness. Being so vehemently opposed to something your partner loves is bound to create tension.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

To be fair, I am married with young kids too, and I would never in a million years let my husband take annual trips to exotic places without me, especially if he came back injured from the first one! That said, there were definitely lots of issues with their marriage aside from that, which I'm sure they both contributed to. I wonder if our look at her is skewed because we are viewing her through the lens of her ex-husband though. It would be interesting to read her version of the story.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

It's a good question. I agree that Rachel came across as unsympathetic, but she was clearly unhappy about something. I could really see both sides. The author was super-stressed out, clearly. He was burning the candle at both ends. At the same time, if he never enabled his wife to have time off, I can see how she'd begin to resent that. Stay-at-home moms work hard, too, just in a different way. It can be very exhausting constantly being the caretaker of the kids and never getting a break.

My ex used to take time off for long man-weekends. I didn't mind. I was supportive of that. But then when I needed a break from five kids, the last two barely 12 months apart, he refused to help make that happen. It's not why we got divorced, but his selfishness was.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Both sides were well-substantiated, and both of them had their reasons to be unhappy and make the choices they made. Maybe they and their lifestyle choices were just incompatible.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
karendi jururi
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karendi-jururi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by karendi jururi »

I think Racheal may come across as rather unrealistic and somewhat of an enemy to the protagonist's missions. However, her decisions do not seem as unrealistic on a closer look. Who would want their husband away all the time? Who would help her look after the kids?
I am team Racheal all the way. Calling her selfish is judging her too harshly. After all, the protagonist abandons her with little kids to go to various missions. That is more selfish to me than any of Racheal's actions or words which to be fair, I found rather nagging.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Rachel did come across as a nagging wife at times. However, the main protagonist was totally selfish in many ways. I like the concept of the Man Missions, I think that was an awesome way to spend time with friends. However, I think the women should have had the same opportunity to go away for an annual outlet and let the guys stay home with the kids!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Honestly, I feel for both of them. I think they both had flaws in their approaches to interpersonal relationships, to say nothing of their different priorities, and it really seems like they shouldn't have been together to begin with.
timur777
Currently Reading: One Bad Decision
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timur777.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by timur777 »

It is hard to understand Rachel's motives. Her actions seem so confusing at times. Definitely not a team Rachel
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

unamilagra wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:41 To be fair, I am married with young kids too, and I would never in a million years let my husband take annual trips to exotic places without me, especially if he came back injured from the first one! That said, there were definitely lots of issues with their marriage aside from that, which I'm sure they both contributed to. I wonder if our look at her is skewed because we are viewing her through the lens of her ex-husband though. It would be interesting to read her version of the story.
I completely agree. I would want to support my husband, but I would want to go with him! There were definitely issues in their marriage, and both had a part in it. I think that Rachel is painted in a negative light, but I can see both sides here.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

Any failing relationship is lacking from both sides. The husband here, having so many years and unsureness of himself and his life and being afraid to seem childish never tried to communicate his feelings to her but also her selfishness was a killer. For the first time in my life I can totally understand why he cheated on her. From what we see in the book she was always angry and disapproving of everything he was doing and then often turned him done when he initiated intimacy... Like he mentions in the book, men have needs. And of course, when another woman shows affection to a man who hasn't received any from his wife in years, he would naturally go along with it even though he knows it's wrong.
I guess, she had it coming. So I'm siding with the main character, because it seems that he tried to keep their relationship afloat but she killed it..
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I can see both sides; on the one hand, Rachel wasn't supportive of something the protagonist was clearly interested in, but on the other, she also needs time off to relax and may have been worried about her ex-husband's injury.
gaily13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaily13.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Post by gaily13 »

I also see both sides, it seems like Rachel was very under represented in the story overall.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 13:37 I have to agree with you about Rachel; she didn't seem to take into account the main character's happiness. Being so vehemently opposed to something your partner loves is bound to create tension.
Agreed, such strong opposition is usually the catalyst that kicks off "the beginning of the end" of any union. Oh Rachel... perhaps she's destined for another.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

ViziVoir wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 18:00 Honestly, I feel for both of them. I think they both had flaws in their approaches to interpersonal relationships, to say nothing of their different priorities, and it really seems like they shouldn't have been together to begin with.
I'm inclined to agree. There are 3 sides to every story: his, hers, and the truth (somewhere in the middle). Seems it was simply a case of incompatibility overall. They are likely both perfect in their own ways... for other people.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”