Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
prowlingivy
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prowlingivy.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Re: Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Post by prowlingivy »

I am sympathetic to the protagonist he was obviously stressed out with his responsibilities. But considering Rachel, she was a stay at home mom, a role with its own share of responsibilities. I believe they were both frustrated with their daily lives and since they lacked any type of decent communication it boiled-down to resentment in the end. This is seen through their efforts at maintaining the happy family image to the public but engage in domestic squabbles when at home. In summary, I am not for or against either.
They both contributed to the ultimate fall out and the ultimate victims were their kids.
sevillagirl18
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevillagirl18.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by sevillagirl18 »

I honestly think it takes two to undo a relationship. However, I will say that Rachel was incredibly controlling, thinking especially about the time the protagonist went on a long bike ride and Rachel acted as though the sky was falling. I also think that she made no effort to really connect with the protagonist after the children were born. While it's totally understanding to be focused on your children, I think that if you're not willing to put in the time and work on your relationship with your spouse, you really don't value it, I think that's why I really side with the protagonist on this one.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

While I'm sure Rachel wasn't perfect I'm definitely Team Rachel, I felt like the main character didn't treat her very well and she seemed to be doing the majority of the parenting without the same breaks that he received. The character didn't seem too interested in his marriage or even his kids so I don't blame her for becoming a little bit neurotic by the end of it!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Can I be on Team Divorce and Future Happiness for both?
I think it's hard to draw any real conclusions about their relationship because we are only getting one side of the story. But the truth is, people deserve to be happy. And people deserve second chances. And the kids deserve to live in a house where both of their parents aren't miserable.
So, I was glad they finally got divorced. That gave them both a chance to move forward into something better.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

timur777 wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 22:49 It is hard to understand Rachel's motives. Her actions seem so confusing at times. Definitely not a team Rachel
Don't you think that element of her character makes her stand out from the rest?
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

esp1975 wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 17:02 Can I be on Team Divorce and Future Happiness for both?
I think it's hard to draw any real conclusions about their relationship because we are only getting one side of the story. But the truth is, people deserve to be happy. And people deserve second chances. And the kids deserve to live in a house where both of their parents aren't miserable.
So, I was glad they finally got divorced. That gave them both a chance to move forward into something better.
Yes, a divorce without drama, with the awareness that a marriage makes no sense anymore, is better than going on with a bond that just causes happiness in everybody.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Cotwani wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 08:17 I know poor communication is a verified relationship killer. All the same, I think Rachel's attitude played a big role in the final fall-out. I mean, I found her unsupportive (heck, she was opposed to man mission from day 1), selfish (wouldn't go to work), bitter and a loner (she didn't reach out to the "wives committee).

On the other hand, maybe its just that the main protagonist's character (whose name I don't remember seeing) was better fleshed out. We didn't get to hear her side of the story.

What do you opine?
These were exactly my thoughts about Rachel. She was insubordinate and unlikable. But I think the author succeeded in using her in plot development and to bring forth lessons , especially that some people, especially the family members, may not support your course.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

prowlingivy wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 15:20 I am sympathetic to the protagonist he was obviously stressed out with his responsibilities. But considering Rachel, she was a stay at home mom, a role with its own share of responsibilities. I believe they were both frustrated with their daily lives and since they lacked any type of decent communication it boiled-down to resentment in the end. This is seen through their efforts at maintaining the happy family image to the public but engage in domestic squabbles when at home. In summary, I am not for or against either.
They both contributed to the ultimate fall out and the ultimate victims were their kids.
I agree with you that even Rachel had her share of responsibility and stress. The same way the protagonist had. But I think she was a little more impatient and ever complaining and opposing. But all in all, they both contributed to the family breakdown.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Sheila_Jay wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 00:52
timur777 wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 22:49 It is hard to understand Rachel's motives. Her actions seem so confusing at times. Definitely not a team Rachel
Don't you think that element of her character makes her stand out from the rest?
Indeed! She was a unique character, and I'm sure she made this book as realistic as possible. I think the author used her to bring out a theme of family relation, as well as adding up to the plot development.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

esp1975 wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 17:02 Can I be on Team Divorce and Future Happiness for both?
I agree with you on that, but what of the kids? I believe divorce affects the kids more than it affect the parties. I'm also glad that they divorced. It's also unfair to expose the kids to such a severe family misunderstanding.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Melissa Breen wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 14:58 While I'm sure Rachel wasn't perfect I'm definitely Team Rachel, I felt like the main character didn't treat her very well and she seemed to be doing the majority of the parenting without the same breaks that he received. The character didn't seem too interested in his marriage or even his kids so I don't blame her for becoming a little bit neurotic by the end of it!
Although I'm team the protagonist, I agree with you on his failure to cater for his family and have a keen interest in his children. Although I don't really agree to Rachel's actions. Some were a bit too much.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

sevillagirl18 wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 21:41 I honestly think it takes two to undo a relationship. However, I will say that Rachel was incredibly controlling, thinking especially about the time the protagonist went on a long bike ride and Rachel acted as though the sky was falling. I also think that she made no effort to really connect with the protagonist after the children were born. While it's totally understanding to be focused on your children, I think that if you're not willing to put in the time and work on your relationship with your spouse, you really don't value it, I think that's why I really side with the protagonist on this one.
Yeah, this is why I insist that Rachel's dramas were (,most of them) unnecessary. A wise woman would work on solving their misunderstandings instead of all the dramas Rachel showed.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 21:36 I found myself siding with Rachel. Since the story was presented from the husband's viewpoint, the reader only gets one side of the story. The men realized that they needed time to get away and unwind but didn't empathize that their wives might enjoy the same type of getaway. This is just so typical of why marriages fail. "All for me and none for thee."
I agree that the story was a bit biased, considering that it was narrated in the protagonist's point of view, but we can't completely dismiss his feelings. Take, for example, the behavior of Rachel after the bike ride. I find absolutely no justification for some, if not most, of Rachel's behavior.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Vivian Paschal wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 10:32
Laura Lee wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 20:12 It's a good question. I agree that Rachel came across as unsympathetic, but she was clearly unhappy about something. I could really see both sides. The author was super-stressed out, clearly. He was burning the candle at both ends. At the same time, if he never enabled his wife to have time off, I can see how she'd begin to resent that. Stay-at-home moms work hard, too, just in a different way. It can be very exhausting constantly being the caretaker of the kids and never getting a break.

My ex used to take time off for long man-weekends. I didn't mind. I was supportive of that. But then when I needed a break from five kids, the last two barely 12 months apart, he refused to help make that happen. It's not why we got divorced, but his selfishness was.
This, I can understand. Perhaps if we were let into her mind as much as we were let into the protagonist's, we would understand where she was coming from. It's easy to see a person as selfish if we don't get their own full picture and easy to see someone as a victim of another's selfishness when we see their single story.
I agree that the author should have brought out a bit of Rachel's side of the story, for us to make informed judgement. Thought, from what I've read, she was a little too mean.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

NetMassimo wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 11:22 We read about her from the narrator's point of view, and we can't be sure that he's a reliable narrator. That said, both of them seem to me to have some fault. If husband and wife are properly committed to their relationship, they should communicate much better than the narrator and Rachel and invest on their marriage supporting each other.
I agree with you that it is the responsibility of all the patners to ensure that their relationship works, but if we are to take the narrator's views af facts, since they're the only ones presented in the book, then Rachel was a little bit of a nuisance.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”