Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Team Rachel or team main protagonist?

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

I feel for them both. They were human and flawed, and the conflict of basic core values that added to the strife kept indicating they shouldn't have been together to begin with.
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

Yeah Agreed, Rachel was the kind of person I'd get annoyed with. She was hard to understand, and came off totally selfish at times
habsfan212
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-habsfan212.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by habsfan212 »

I have to say the protagonist, although he made mistakes too. The fact that Rachel didn't want to go back to work really bothered me. I don't really like working, so I would be mad having to be the only one doing this sacrifice. Don't get me wrong, she's not on vacations. Raising children is a full-time job, but the protagonist has a point when he says it's not fair he has to choose a job he doesn't like to make more money while he barely has quality time with his children. We lack some information, but if Rachel was not allowed to go on trips with her friends, that's clearly unfair.
Lexiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexiem.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Lexiem »

I believe there are two sides to every story, but from what was told in the book, I think both people do play a part in the downfall of the relationship. Rachel was very distant which did not help the situation, but on the other hand, the main character cheated, which is much worse. Because of this, I am team Rachel.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

She did seem to be the example of a bad unsuppotive wife. Yet this book gives us the mand perspective on things. No doubt she would have her own story to tell if there were an opportunity
Reina275
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reina275.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reina275 »

I think is both of the characters faults and both had their reasons to act as they did. But I have to agree with you about Rachel, that lack of empathy about his happiness I didn´t like it at all, I feel they shouldn´t have been together in the first place.
Queenyx
Currently Reading: Guidebook of How to Obtain Pureness of Heart Required to Enter Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenyx.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Queenyx »

Rachel any day any time please. I mean women should be an embodiment of strength as the pillars of a family. So, she is and will always be my go to character😚
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I think it's really difficult becuase we're seeing the whole story through his lens. I think that his man missions were something that he was already doing before they got together so for her to expect him to stop doing those once she came into his life was a bit unrealistic. However, she may have expected him to 'grow out of it' once he had children and needed to be more responsible. But obviously we don't know how that was really communicated because we're reading it from his side. Whatever happened I don't think there's ever a 'good' reason to cheat though
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

Team Rachel
Reagan Reg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reagan-reg.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Reagan Reg »

I am team protagonist. He tries his best to salvage his marriage with Rachel but the later is insensitive and pushes him away. There is no communication in their marriage and that spells an end to their marriage.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

I Will in the main protagonist team. He tried to save his relation but Rachel never tried or I didn't see her trying. She was always busy with herself and never cared about the main protagonist. The lack of communication was the main reason that their relation ended as such.
FInziani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finziani.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by FInziani »

I agree with you. Several years ago, I found myself in a situation that's almost similar to Racheals' hence my current marital status. It does take two to tango 8)
unamilagra wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:41 To be fair, I am married with young kids too, and I would never in a million years let my husband take annual trips to exotic places without me, especially if he came back injured from the first one! That said, there were definitely lots of issues with their marriage aside from that, which I'm sure they both contributed to. I wonder if our look at her is skewed because we are viewing her through the lens of her ex-husband though. It would be interesting to read her version of the story.
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

unamilagra wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:41 To be fair, I am married with young kids too, and I would never in a million years let my husband take annual trips to exotic places without me, especially if he came back injured from the first one! That said, there were definitely lots of issues with their marriage aside from that, which I'm sure they both contributed to. I wonder if our look at her is skewed because we are viewing her through the lens of her ex-husband though. It would be interesting to read her version of the story.
I agree with you. One has to hear her side of the story to draw a good conclusion. Their relationship seemed to be happy in the beginning, even if she wouldn't hear about the escapades.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

blessing_bona wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 10:34
I agree with you. One has to hear her side of the story to draw a good conclusion. Their relationship seemed to be happy in the beginning, even if she wouldn't hear about the escapades.
I completely agree with this point! There is also no mention that she takes annual trips with her friends or has any sort of time away from the family. I think she was feeling very worn out and probably needed a bit more help. It would definitely be interesting to hear her side
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

I am team main protagonist because Rachel didn't seem to ever take anyone else's feelings into account, which is very selfish.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”