The Main Character's Hardships

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

The Main Character's Hardships

Post by Charlyt »

What do you think was/were the main reason/s for the main character's depression towards the latter part of the book?
For me, I think it was the expectations for him to be a man in a society where it is expected for men to be strong physically and emotionally.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

I think you're right that the protagonist's depression was initiated by a sense that he had to be strong and couldn't show any weakness. Then, as life got harder and more complicated, the stress just increased. Later, of course, after cheating on his wife and the subsequent loss of his marriage, the depression was compounded by feelings of guilt for what he'd done to his wife, his marriage and his kids. I think there was a great deal of both guilt and remorse which made his depression even worse.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I agree! I think societies pressures on what a man should be affected him in every part of the book, from the type of husband he thought he should be to how he should act on the trips. I don't think he ever shed that, even at the end of the book, which is a shame because it would have been a nice lessen to include in the book.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Laura Lee wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 07:03 I think you're right that the protagonist's depression was initiated by a sense that he had to be strong and couldn't show any weakness. Then, as life got harder and more complicated, the stress just increased. Later, of course, after cheating on his wife and the subsequent loss of his marriage, the depression was compounded by feelings of guilt for what he'd done to his wife, his marriage and his kids. I think there was a great deal of both guilt and remorse which made his depression even worse.
That’s true. A lot of things piled on top of each other.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Melissa Breen wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 07:04 I agree! I think societies pressures on what a man should be affected him in every part of the book, from the type of husband he thought he should be to how he should act on the trips. I don't think he ever shed that, even at the end of the book, which is a shame because it would have been a nice lessen to include in the book.
I guess it was the type of lesson that the reader figures out on their own. And I agree that he didn’t shed it in the end, I guess because it was not easy to go against what society expects.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think it goes back to toxic masculinity and rules like "he who whines loudest wears the pink bracelet". Both in society and his friend group, the main protagonist never let himself be truly emotionally open. And that's a huge factor in situational depression. (Though we should not discount brain chemistry issues which cause depression regardless of outside factors.)
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Charlyt wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 01:27 What do you think was/were the main reason/s for the main character's depression towards the latter part of the book?
For me, I think it was the expectations for him to be a man in a society where it is expected for men to be strong physically and emotionally.
I agree that the societal expectations were as much to blame for his depression as was his guilt for helping create the situation he found himself in. We get signals from society all the time about who we should be. Many times, we don't even pay attention to them even as they settle into our subconsciousness. Realizing that you aren't good enough for something, anything, is hurtful. When you think you aren't even good enough for the world you live in, that is devastating.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I think there were multiple factors that caused his depression. As you said, the pressures of society as to what a man should be, his guilt over his affair, his loneliness, feeling like he had let his wife and children down, and most of all not being able to forgive himself!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

esp1975 wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 17:39 I think it goes back to toxic masculinity and rules like "he who whines loudest wears the pink bracelet". Both in society and his friend group, the main protagonist never let himself be truly emotionally open. And that's a huge factor in situational depression. (Though we should not discount brain chemistry issues which cause depression regardless of outside factors.)
I totally agree! It's hard for people to be vulnerable because they think it makes them look weak and then they stuff it and become depressed.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I think that what happened to the main character is just life... Life happens to everyone. The hardships piled on top of each other because he never resolved the problems but thought that if he just goes on his annual "man Mission" his problems would somehow disappear. Everything is preventable. But the book made me more aware that lots of men probably feel this way and are afraid of life but even more afraid to look weak and admit that they have fears.

I really started to enjoy the main character when he finally started to accept who he was and stopped being afraid to admit his weaknesses to his friends.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I think the protagonist created his own box and locked himself in it and then buried the box. We all construct rules to live by, and his appeared to be meeting the expectations he viewed as "The Relationship Playbook." I think that his pressures were real, but that he made little effort to appreciate his blessings. As Abe Lincoln said, "Every man is about as happy as he makes up his mind to be."
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I felt that the protagonist projected the reason behind his depression in the emotional conversation with his mom during the family barbeque.

There was a point where I had this "you brought it on yourself" sort of indifferent attitude towards him, but then I started thinking of it as a "man". His wife and kids depend on him to live. His career is a roller coaster. All of his decisions are made on behalf other people. I would be depressed too!! The cheating thing was a bit extreme and unexcusable in my opinion; but I get it. He just wants someone to tell him "Hey, it's cool. Go ahead and cry."
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

He did what he felt he was supposed to do. With a traditional idea of what being a man means, that included repressing at least part of his emotions in a way that's unhealthy in long-term. In his job he ended up staying in a sort of comfort zone that was so looking at stability, but his dissatisfaction increased adding to his emotional problems.
Ciao :)
Massimo
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I fully agree with you. The society has expectations set for us and the higher it is the higher the disappointment. And I think that's the biggest hit on the protagonist as he feels he's failed people. Depression is real and affects even the strongest of us. What with the expectations everyone has set for you yet you can't even afford to make ends meet. It's something most people easily assume but it's really taking a toll on most people.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

@DorcasToo your points are really interesting. Expectations generate perceptions that can be totally false, and that has negative consequences on people's lives.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”