From Being a Boy to a Man

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Re: From Being a Boy to a Man

Post by readerrihana »

I think it just begins as they are young men, beginning their journeys into the world of work, marriage, and resxponsibility, however they try to keep up some care free space away from them and preserve their playful youthful selves, while becoming more mature and moire experienced men in the world
Ten10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ten10.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ten10 »

I believed all the characters fully transitioned from boys to men. They matured in the course of their adventures, managed to endure whatever life threw on their way and to not give up no matter the pains.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

A lot went into his transformation from a boy to a man. I don't think mention can be made of a specific time when he made that exact turnaround. From the time when he decided to put the interests of his family first to when he was hit hard by hardship and difficulties. It was a journey and not a destination.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Acceptance is a big key to growing up. When he realized he was only human and could make mistakes, yet move on from that phase into actually action, he manifested the complete man in him.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

I think both of them? He learnt a lot on the Man Mission, and his family life, which altogether helped him grow as a man.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

He understood and trusted himself in the end which was his transition. I don't think there can ever be a balance between family and friends. One always wins. It's a matter of priority.
Official_Sammie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-official-sammie.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Official_Sammie »

I think he became a man, when believes he is one. From the story he became a man in his home life and he reflected a lot of those attribute on the mission.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

When he realized that he needed to accept his flaws and go on with life is when he became a man. I believe that when a person is willing to do this, they truly become a mature person.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 18:02
Laura Lee wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 20:07 That's a great question. I would say he transitioned from a boy to a man when he sacrificed his own wants for the good of his family. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to find a healthy balance between meeting his needs and his families needs. I thought it was insightful, later on in the book, when one of his friends was pointing out the various ways imbalance manifested itself, either going to the gym religiously (the narrator's wife), micro-managing the kids' lives (the friend's wife) or any number of other ways. Balance is essential in work and family life to be emotionally healthy.
I definitely agree. A big part of growing up is recognizing that you can't always put yourself first, and I like that the author features this lesson in the book.
This is a really nice way of phrasing it. In the earlier parts of the book you could tell that he was still predominately thinking about himself and so the shift was quite noticable for me
Neha Puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Neha Puri »

I think in both. When his life was falling apart. He Was not sure to change the job or not. He was worried about his family. He didn't think once about his happiness he was just carrying about his family. In man's mission when he thought to complete the mission being tired that was also the moment he changed from a boy to man.
Reagan Reg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reagan-reg.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Reagan Reg »

I think both the home life and the missions helped them transition into the men the society expected them to be and the ones they themselves wanted to be. Home life and the missions were a learning curve and provided an opportunity to learn from the mistakes and to build themselves.
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I thought it was during the trip to Vietnam when he quarreled with his wife over an affair.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I think this occurred when his mentality changed. He began to see himself as a man and his attitude followed suit.
But in reality this is a relative thing. What makes a man is most times defined by the environment or challenges before the person.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

When he put other people’s needs before his own need to be manly. This book shows how overmasculanized men can be seen and overcoming that was one of his biggest challenges.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

When he seperated from Rachel I think he really started to grow up

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”