Some interesting fun facts

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Re: Some interesting fun facts

Post by NetMassimo »

godly02 wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 18:42 Reading these post have me now wondering if I should read this book as well. Not to sure on how I will react when it comes to the food sections. I am a picky eater lol and what I’ve read in these post has me ready to run and hide. But seriously seems like a great read.
You might have a negative reaction to some local traditional types of food, but the author doesn't go into many details. Enjoy the novel and don't worry about those bits. :)
Ciao :)
Massimo
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

diamonnd wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 15:30 I think my favorite one was the one in Japan. I was blown away by the kind of vending machines available there. It was certainly a surprise!
We're in this together. Japan has always been reading in the technological industry. I was also amazed by their technology as described in this book, particularly the vending machine.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

NetMassimo wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 02:56
godly02 wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 18:42 Reading these post have me now wondering if I should read this book as well. Not to sure on how I will react when it comes to the food sections. I am a picky eater lol and what I’ve read in these post has me ready to run and hide. But seriously seems like a great read.
You might have a negative reaction to some local traditional types of food, but the author doesn't go into many details. Enjoy the novel and don't worry about those bits. :)
I too found it awkward that some of the meals there included even inedible animals like dogs. Of course I've heard of some communities who feast on weird animals like snails and snakes too. It was an adventure novel anyway; learning of new weird things were part of it too.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Beatus wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 09:05 I love eating meat. With a bit of hunger, I believe I can eat anything meaty....grilled especially. However, I prefer not knowing exactly what kind of meat it is lol!
This is funny. I'm completely the opposite. Not knowing the kind of food on the table, or what exactly it was cooked with drives away my hunger instantly. I'm also very keen on what I'm eating, lest I eat weird things like snails.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

espo wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 13:10 One of the things that fascinated me the most in the book is the way Australian country hospitality is described. A man just offered to host the boys for a night, although they were complete strangers, and left a note on his door that they could find the key under the carpet and help themselves while he was away. I wonder if anyone on here has experienced something similar in Australia or other parts of the world?
Some countries are very hospitable. I was also wondering if he didn't even think that they could steal his belongings and make away with them. The trust this man had on the protagonists was way on another level. Having said that, I'm sure the man was just lucky that his visitors we're genuinely good people. He might not be very lucky next time.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

One fun fact I loved the most was that risky adventure are way more enjoyable than plain ones. The protagonists go on a very risky yearly missions, coming back injured, but the more they face the risk, the more enjoyable the adventure was. An adventure without some risks is just a walk.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Anirudh Badri wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 04:03 Very strange that New Zealand has no wild animals that can kill humans. Although I think that is a little inaccurate, since while animals may not exist which are natural predators capable of killing humans, any animal is capable of doing so if its survival is threatened.
I was also wondering whether even smallerer animals like centipedes, which have poisonous claws weren't there. It's not bigger animals that are dangerous. There are smaller insects too whose stings are just as dangerous.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

djr6090 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 01:48 Icelandic Pufin burgers were a curious tidbit.
Looks like I missed this bit. What were they like? Or I just can't remember anything.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

katiesquilts wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 08:07 A lot of people comment on Japanese vending machines, but I live here and I have to say, I'm not too impressed lol. In the U.S. we have both snack and drink vending machines, but in Japan most of the ones you see on the street are only for drinks. I actually did a double take the first time I saw one with food in it!
It's fascinating how technological advancement is taking over. The first time I heard of these machines was when I was reading this book, the second time is now, after reading your comment. Looks like these machines hasn't found their way here in Kenya.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

oluchiokere84 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 11:28 I was amazed to learn that there were no predators in the forests of New Zealand. At that point, I was thinking that it was a great contrast to Africa. Little did I know that they would visit Africa too. The elephant's macho display made me a little jittery and I think that taking a drive purposely to watch lions and a leopard in the wild, is not something I would willingly do. The Japanese vending machines too were another interesting fun fact. It kept pondering on the fact that so many people would be rendered jobless if such vending machines are installed in my area.
I agree with you that, while technology is good, they may result into joblessness especially in the developing countries. These men's adventure was something fascinating too.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

gschauer wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 12:36 There are some great answers above. I was intrigued by the different foods. I have tried a kava drink so that was an interesting ceremony. I remember it tasting very bad, but after it went down, I felt so relaxed and de-stressed. The kimchi, I think this was in Japan, was also interesting. Now I want to try that.
Wow! It's amazing to learn that you've tasted some of these drinks too. This book made me long for such adventures, where I can take risks and try new things. It's an amazing experience.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Tamorie21 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 14:48 I've only read the first few pages so far and the book seems extremely interesting. The conversational style will surely get me going. Also, travel narratives are intriguing all on their own since I haven't traveled nearly as much as the author/his characters have. Once I've read more, I'll come back to this thread :)
Having read the book, I must concur with you that these travelings we're awesome. Just like you, I haven't had the chance to travel that much, but I hope one of these days I'll find time to go for a man mission- like adventures. I hope you enjoy the book too.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 14:53
katiesquilts wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 08:07 A lot of people comment on Japanese vending machines, but I live here and I have to say, I'm not too impressed lol. In the U.S. we have both snack and drink vending machines, but in Japan most of the ones you see on the street are only for drinks. I actually did a double take the first time I saw one with food in it!
Haha, well it is nice to actually hear back on that particular mention by someone who lives there and has experienced their alluring novelty (or lack thereof) firsthand!
Although I don't live there. I was also impressed by an answer from someone who actually lives there. However, nothing will feel better than actually witnessing these things myself .
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Gathoni1991 wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 15:33 Wow, I have been reading the comments and I can't wait to get my hand son that book. Dog eaters? This is a definite must read.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Some of the technical and animals experiences are surprising too. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 11:11
Tamorie21 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 14:48 I've only read the first few pages so far and the book seems extremely interesting. The conversational style will surely get me going. Also, travel narratives are intriguing all on their own since I haven't traveled nearly as much as the author/his characters have. Once I've read more, I'll come back to this thread :)
The travelling to all the different countries was probably my favourite thing about this book! The descriptions are fantastic - enjoy!
This was my favorite too, and the experience with animals, not to mention their interaction with the natives. This book just took adventure stories to a new whole level!

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”