Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Post by Ellylion »

I am really looking forward to read this book! I love stories being narrated "from the road" or describing trips and insights into different cultures. The characters seem to be very reliable which is a big plus.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I have only sampled the book. But I have found the premise interesting. Mostly, I have found such stories pivoting on a group of ladies. It is refreshing to hear on life issues from the perspective of men.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I read this book early last year and rated it four stars. The adventures mixed with real life issues blended in so well. According to my understanding, the unnamed protagonist is the author.
Rancy_Chepchirchir
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Rancy_Chepchirchir »

From all the positive feedback on this book, i'm definitely adding it to my library. Thanks!
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

This isn't my usual cup of tea but what I liked most was the soul-bearing honesty of the characters. Its intriguing reading this from a man's perspective.
Lexiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexiem.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Lexiem »

This book made me want to travel all over the world. I loved all of the adventures and emotions that occurred throughout the book. Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Avoclaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avoclaw.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Avoclaw »

Certainly a great read with a mystery element to it! I really liked the premise of close friends having a yearly tradition of meeting up, particularly because I lack such close friends!
Njkinny
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Empowered
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njkinny.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Njkinny »

Nerea wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 02:30 I'm currently reading the book. It's an exciting and adventurous story that grips the reader's attention. The story reveals to the reader the answer to the question "Who is a man?" Exploring different cities is the best treat one can offer to him/herself. And the four gentlemen did well to do that albeit the responsibilities they had as employees, husbands, and fathers. Though they suffered injuries on their missions, they didn't give up. This brings up the impression that one should stick to their commitments come what may. Additionally, endurance is the key factor for one to complete a course in life.

I like the diverse culture and beliefs in the book. One belief that amuses me is the Siberian belief that "a real man catches and kills their own food." The characters are funny and interact freely with each other. The reader can feel their bond of love reading through their conversations. The mission rules are hilarious, funny, and thought provoking.

I don't understand why the protagonist is not identified by a unique name. I kept asking myself, Is it a feature in writing? or Is the protagonist the author of the book?

The book will appeal to those who love to travel and explore different region and cities in the world.

I will rate the book after I'm done reading the book.
I, too, felt this lack of having no name for the protagonist. But, maybe this is a tactic to make him more relatable to the readers. Any reader can identify himself with him. I am curious about space travel and think this book will be just right for me. Having read the sample, I am intrigued enough to go reading more. Looking forward to you review.
Njkinny :techie-reference:
Toni Signoretti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toni-signoretti.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Toni Signoretti »

This book reaffirmed my belief that men do their best in groups, binding with each other, setting their own unique rules and rituals. It is an interesting introspective that charts these men's adventures over a long period of time, during which they mature as humans, husbands and fathers. Some of the assumptions made are foolish. However, it has some genuine metaphors that paint colorful and imaging pictures. The book tells us about the male ego, mixed with adrenaline, that inevitably drives these men to do "crazy" things. I enjoyed the clear descriptions of the various places they visited and was able to picture them in my mind. One thing I particularly liked was the quotes at the end of each Chapter along with the different Bible verses. As I continued reading, I realized that these fellows did things that most all women I know would never even contemplate. It confirmed for me the phrase/book, "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus". Additionally, there was true real-life humor throughout. It was an enjoyable read.
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by mishkaat »

I have not completely read this book but it is an interesting book .i give this 3 out of 4 stars.
Ketbax
Currently Reading: The Amber Spyglass
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ketbax.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ketbax »

Nerea wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 02:30 I'm currently reading the book. It's an exciting and adventurous story that grips the reader's attention. The story reveals to the reader the answer to the question "Who is a man?" Exploring different cities is the best treat one can offer to him/herself. And the four gentlemen did well to do that albeit the responsibilities they had as employees, husbands, and fathers. Though they suffered injuries on their missions, they didn't give up. This brings up the impression that one should stick to their commitments come what may. Additionally, endurance is the key factor for one to complete a course in life.

I like the diverse culture and beliefs in the book. One belief that amuses me is the Siberian belief that "a real man catches and kills their own food." The characters are funny and interact freely with each other. The reader can feel their bond of love reading through their conversations. The mission rules are hilarious, funny, and thought provoking.

I don't understand why the protagonist is not identified by a unique name. I kept asking myself, Is it a feature in writing? or Is the protagonist the author of the book?

The book will appeal to those who love to travel and explore different region and cities in the world.

I was on the fence about reading this one, but this description definitely interested me. I'll have to check it out! It's a good side note to keep in mind the protagonist doesn't have a name, so thanks for that comment!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Ketbax wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 09:52

I was on the fence about reading this one, but this description definitely interested me. I'll have to check it out! It's a good side note to keep in mind the protagonist doesn't have a name, so thanks for that comment!
You are most welcomed. Enjoy your reading.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I read this book and I was glued to the story. it has action, friendship and some funny moments. I loved the idea of taking a yearly adventure. I would this book 4 out of 4 stars.
habsfan212
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-habsfan212.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by habsfan212 »

I am at the third travel for now and I am loving it. I love when a book relates to real life and even more when you can follow the characters for several years and see them evolve. It always bring me back to my life and how time is slowly passing yet so fast at the same time. I'm looking forward to see what's next!
Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nicolene75 »

From the sample pages, I gather that this is a fun book. I really enjoyed reading it and found myself laughing out loud and having to explain to the people around me why I'm laughing at my pc! A huge thumbs up from my side. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I am a reader, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”