Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Mina Goodfellow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mina-goodfellow.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Post by Mina Goodfellow »

I have not yet finished the book, but I find the premise to be interesting. I mostly enjoy the idea of traveling, since I, too, have the "travel bug."
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

This book is still on my "want to read" shelf. It sounds like a great book about men and their relationships.
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

I just finished reading the book and I really enjoyed it. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I love the idea of an annual friends' trip and adventure, so it was interesting to read about that. I also really liked the structure of the chapters and how the author intersperses stories from his home life with stories from the man mission.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

This book seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews. It has to be great. I will read it now
MA
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I also wondered about the name of the main character, but he sounds so similar to the author if you read about him, that I concluded that the use of the first person and not giving him a name was due to the fact that he is representing the author

I rated it 3 out of 4 stars because it was a good book and well written, but contained a lot of swearing and profanity and reference to body parts and things that I found rather crude
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading about the exotic places these guys travelled, and I liked getting a glimpse into what men discuss when they’re together. I would recommend it to adults who enjoy character-based novels with a travel backdrop.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
TutorGirlCheyenne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tutorgirlcheyenne.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by TutorGirlCheyenne »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 08:05 I, too, wondered the same thing about the main protagonist's lack of a name. Before posting on the discussion board, I ensured that I had all of my notes on this book, but there was nothing to identify the main character. I wonder why the author chose to do this?

I am thoroughly enjoying this book; it has everything: action, friendship and subtle funny moments. I love the whole concept of taking a yearly adventure--not all of us are afforded the luxury of taking a week off from our lives--and it is in these adventurers that the men learn things about themselves that they never knew. The writing flowed smoothly, and the characters were quite entertaining, especially when giving each other a hard time.

I am about halfway through the book and I honestly have nothing negative to say! I think this is my favorite Book of the Month that I have read thus far.

I give it 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to readers who enjoy fast-paced books that have an element of adventure and boast well-developed characters!
Your review definitely intrigues me. I've never read a book where a character wasn't named. The overall premise sounds kind of like Eat Pray Love. I'll have to add this one to my bookshelves.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.”. – George R.R. Martin.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I haven’t read the book yet but it seems interesting. I am usually a fan of the fantasy or romance genre. I want to give it a chance because I like books about adventure and where the reader gets to explore different places/cultures.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I just finished reading Man Mission so I'm late to this discussion.

I'm so glad I took the time to read it. The book was an entirely enjoyable read. I like this writer's style. The way in which he tells the story is straightforward, intelligent, witty and funny. The characters were a hoot, seeming like people you'd want to meet in real life.

I found it intriguing that there was never a mention of the main character's name anywhere in the book. I think it speaks to the author's skill that this (something I've never seen in any other book that I've read) did not take anything away from him (the protagonist) as a character.

This was a great piece. I would definitely recommend it to others.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

I just downloaded the book and I'm anxious to read it! It sounds like a really exciting book that explores exotic new places. I'm looking forward to see what this book brings.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I just started the book and its grip the reader's attention and it's adventurous
mishkaat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkaat.html
Latest Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by mishkaat »

I have not read the book bt its title ,reviews and discussion has increased my interest to read this.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I have not read this book yet, but it sounds great! Well-developed characters are a huge plus, and I love reading about friendships and relationships. It's nice that the author adds some humor.

Further, the adventure sounds fast-paced and exciting! I'd love to read more about exotic locations - I hope the author describes them well. This book has a lot of elements that make for a wholesome read.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Toni Signoretti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toni-signoretti.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Toni Signoretti »

This book reaffirmed my belief that men do their best in groups, binding with each other, setting their own unique rules and rituals. It is an interesting introspective that charts these men's adventures over a long period of time, during which they mature as humans, husbands and fathers. Some of the assumptions made are foolish. However, it has some genuine metaphors that paint colorful and imaging pictures. The book tells us about the male ego, mixed with adrenaline, that inevitably drives these men to do "crazy" things. I enjoyed the clear descriptions of the various places they visited and was able to picture them in my mind. One thing I particularly liked was the quotes at the end of each Chapter along with the different Bible verses. As I continued reading, I realized that these fellows did things that most all women I know would never even contemplate. It confirmed for me the phrase/book, "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus". Additionally, there was true real-life humor throughout. It was an enjoyable read.
Ten10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ten10.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ten10 »

Man Mission; 4 Men 15 years, 1 epic journey is one of the nicest books I have read recently. From the moment I began reading it, I was enthused by the main protagonist desire to travel around the globe. He had that dream since childhood. It's nice to see him and his friends put that dream to fruition. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is just inspirational. I highly recommend it to persons interested in inspirational novels.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”