Which ship would you like to sail?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Which ship would you like to sail?

Post by Blindjew »

There were a couple implied potential romances, primarily for the character of Steve Spalding, that may or may not bear fruit. Do any of these, such as a Soojin/Steve pairing or a Sharon/Steve pairing feel like they'd be a good, solid fit for the future? For myself, I felt Sharon and Steve had mild chemistry, but it was more the fling and fun sort of thing. With Soojin, I feel like there's another full story, there. A redemption mixed in with romance that transcends the programming that'd weighed down Soojin most of her life.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I am in minorty as many of the readers enjoyed Steve & Sharon pairing. Is not I didn't like it, I just don't really care about it. I am much more interested in antagonist of this book. The redemption and underdog plotline does sounds more appealing to me. But even my imagination can't save lack of romance in this book and I except it.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

The pairing may differ, but it is more intense with Soujin/Steve than wih Sharon/Steve. For Sharon/Steve, we usually assume that they will have a good chemistry for they are both in the protagonist side. The suspense of Soujin/Steve is more intriguing and full of thrills because both of them thinks 'this one is an enemy'.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

E-M-P Honeymoon seems to be controversial in many ways. I've seen several girls criticizing the most diverse couples. It makes me want to start reading the book. :mrgreen:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Blindjew »

jeminah28 wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 21:06 The pairing may differ, but it is more intense with Soujin/Steve than wih Sharon/Steve. For Sharon/Steve, we usually assume that they will have a good chemistry for they are both in the protagonist side. The suspense of Soujin/Steve is more intriguing and full of thrills because both of them thinks 'this one is an enemy'.
I totally agree. There was definitely more flavor and suspense to the potential further involvement between Soujin/Steve, and I felt that Steve/Sharon was a much more casual one. Something akin to a hookup scenario with Steve and Sharon where it would be mostly a carnal combination rather than any real compatibility emotionally. In the case of Soujin, it would be an unexplored field due to how she was raised and conditioned. It carries with it the spice of character development, progress with pitfalls, and I feel it has the best roots for a satisfying conclusion.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Blindjew wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 17:31 There were a couple implied potential romances, primarily for the character of Steve Spalding, that may or may not bear fruit. Do any of these, such as a Soojin/Steve pairing or a Sharon/Steve pairing feel like they'd be a good, solid fit for the future? For myself, I felt Sharon and Steve had mild chemistry, but it was more the fling and fun sort of thing. With Soojin, I feel like there's another full story, there. A redemption mixed in with romance that transcends the programming that'd weighed down Soojin most of her life.
I think Steve and Sharon would be a good solid fit. I felt like it was more than just a fling. I think there was real chemistry there.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Jeremie Mondejar

Blindjew wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 15:05
jeminah28 wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 21:06 The pairing may differ, but it is more intense with Soujin/Steve than wih Sharon/Steve. For Sharon/Steve, we usually assume that they will have a good chemistry for they are both in the protagonist side. The suspense of Soujin/Steve is more intriguing and full of thrills because both of them thinks 'this one is an enemy'.
I totally agree. There was definitely more flavor and suspense to the potential further involvement between Soujin/Steve, and I felt that Steve/Sharon was a much more casual one. Something akin to a hookup scenario with Steve and Sharon where it would be mostly a carnal combination rather than any real compatibility emotionally. In the case of Soujin, it would be an unexplored field due to how she was raised and conditioned. It carries with it the spice of character development, progress with pitfalls, and I feel it has the best roots for a satisfying conclusion.
I'm looking forward about the reaction of Soujin the moment she knows the role of Steve. Suddenly, the story is a bit hanging on that and diverse to the real event, which is to detract the treat of the Koreans.
Jeremie

AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

You are right and at the end it is all about subjective tastes of the reader with pairing will she/he perefer. I do love me some more gray couples & forbbiden intrigue of SoonJin and Steve.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think Steve/Sharon were a good fit, but early on I thought there might be another storyline developing with Soujin. I wouldn't have minded that either. That could have taken the story in a whole new direction.
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

Steve and Sharon's interactions seemed more like a cheesy romance movie with bad pick-up lines. I wanted more development on the Soujin and Steve relationship possibility.
Jeremie Mondejar

AntonelaMaria wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 12:19
You are right and at the end it is all about subjective tastes of the reader with pairing will she/he perefer. I do love me some more gray couples & forbbiden intrigue of SoonJin and Steve.
However, the reactions may vary, but for me "enemy of an enemy" sounds a lot of fun and suspense, which will entertain myself a lot more.
Jeremie

Jeremie Mondejar

[Danielle] wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 12:31 Steve and Sharon's interactions seemed more like a cheesy romance movie with bad pick-up lines. I wanted more development on the Soujin and Steve relationship possibility.
I am excited if there is a suspenseful drama of Soujin and Steve. It sounds a love triangle under in a mission with Sharon, too.
Jeremie

diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

I really liked the Sharon/Steve chemistry, but I agree with you that Soujin and Steve would make an interesting pair. I'd definitely like to read that story!
Jeremie Mondejar

Prisallen wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 17:33 I think Steve/Sharon were a good fit, but early on I thought there might be another storyline developing with Soujin. I wouldn't have minded that either. That could have taken the story in a whole new direction.
I thought many times, what would be the reactions of Soujin, if she found out the truth about Steve. However, the story is a bit hanging for some suspense scene.
Jeremie

Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Blindjew wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 17:31 There were a couple implied potential romances, primarily for the character of Steve Spalding, that may or may not bear fruit. Do any of these, such as a Soojin/Steve pairing or a Sharon/Steve pairing feel like they'd be a good, solid fit for the future? For myself, I felt Sharon and Steve had mild chemistry, but it was more the fling and fun sort of thing. With Soojin, I feel like there's another full story, there. A redemption mixed in with romance that transcends the programming that'd weighed down Soojin most of her life.
I would have enjoyed the Steve/Sharon pairing. I wish it had been given time to develop. I'm not sure I would have bought a redemption romance with Soojin unless she had more page time. I feel like we never got to really know her as a person.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”