Strong female characters

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Re: Strong female characters

Post by Moo Reny »

Yes I agree with you, even Cynthia has a sequel
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

amihughson wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:16 I have to disagree. I don't feel like the female characters really did anything to define themselves as strong. While it is interesting to note that the "bodyguards" are both females in a traditionally male role, as well as the terrorists team leader, them being female came across as inconsequential. Any single female character in this story could have been swapped for a man, and there would literally be no impact on the story itself, with perhaps the exception of Kelly. Kelly was written with more female mannerisms that even LGBT male characters would feel cliched if they exhibited the same behavior. As for strength, Kelly swaps between paranoia, hysterics and general uselessness. Tom showed just as much prowess with technology as Kelly is supposed to have (ie the part where he hacks into a database using his phone) and it seemed like Kelly's only real motivation to be part of "Team USA" was to keep an eye out for Tom and contribute to the supposed "romance" part of this novel. That's not exactly what I think of when I think of a strong female character.
you quiet a very good reader and observer. I understand your point and I strongly agree with you.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

A lot of books nowadays carry strong female characters that represent women empowerment and this shows how the world changes where equality between sexes is emphasized and given due importance.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

I think Kelly is one of the characters that's strong in the book, despite her little fear. With Tom by her side, she could do anything. Also, I see the terrorists' leader, Sue Lynn Reese, as one of the strongest, starting from her training and ability to lead a team.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

Most strong characters in the book were female. I think there was a part in the book where the females were trying to work together without the men's help to handle a particular situation.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

DorcasToo wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 06:58 I think the book carries quite a fair number of ladies. Starting with Kelly Turbulo who isn't just a damsel in distress. Cynthia who is a Secretary and PI, with her team of ladies who save the day. Even the enemy camp is led by a lady Sue Lynn. I think the author has created really strong female characters. What do you think?
Yes, there are a lot of strong female characters (sort of). I don't really see Kelly as a strong female, but all the other ones, yes. Maybe I just dislike Kelly. Regardless, I think the author likes seeing strong female leads!
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

amihughson wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:16 I have to disagree. I don't feel like the female characters really did anything to define themselves as strong. While it is interesting to note that the "bodyguards" are both females in a traditionally male role, as well as the terrorists team leader, them being female came across as inconsequential. Any single female character in this story could have been swapped for a man, and there would literally be no impact on the story itself, with perhaps the exception of Kelly. Kelly was written with more female mannerisms that even LGBT male characters would feel cliched if they exhibited the same behavior. As for strength, Kelly swaps between paranoia, hysterics and general uselessness. Tom showed just as much prowess with technology as Kelly is supposed to have (ie the part where he hacks into a database using his phone) and it seemed like Kelly's only real motivation to be part of "Team USA" was to keep an eye out for Tom and contribute to the supposed "romance" part of this novel. That's not exactly what I think of when I think of a strong female character.
Thank you! I was wondering why I felt weird saying they were strong female leads. It's because they're not really portrayed well by the book as females. The only reason might be for the romance, like the PI with the CIA agent.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

Sue Rhee-jin and Kelly are flawless characters I enjoyed reading about. They dealt with every issue in an orderly manner.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

Kelly and Sue are really strong female characters. The author did well and I like it.
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

The book does contain a lot of strong female characters, from Cynthia to Kelly, Sharon and Agatha.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I appreciate how the author portrayed women in this book. All women in the story had strong character. I really liked Sue Lynn.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”