Cold Relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: Cold Relationship?

Post by AntonelaMaria »

kdstrack wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 23:24
jeminah28 wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 20:58
kdstrack wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 20:52 It did seem like an unconventional way to start a honeymoon. I thought Steve and Sharon were acting more like newlyweds than Tom and Kelly! They were mooning over each other and dropping insinuating comments to each other. The sparks between those two were more obvious than anything between the actual honeymooners.
Tom/Kelly's character somehow became the supporting characters when in fact, they must be highlighted in this novel. I also realized that not all honeymooners are pretty obvious in front of other people. So, I understand the way they are portrayed.
I would agree except that the title leads readers to expect something more from Tom & Kelly. There weren't any scenes where the "honeymooners" escaped to 'be alone'!!
Yeah, the title is misleading a reader!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Reynaa wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 13:44
ciecheesemeister wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 18:14
cpru68 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 13:46 As I’m giving this second novel a try after reading another book by this author, I’m finding that she has a tendency to not develop her characters and their relationships that great. In the prior one, a woman has a one night stand that turns into this weird relationship. This one, they are married and reflect some of the same characteristics as the one night stand couple. There’s just no depth so far as I see.
If the book you're referring to is Cynthia and Dan Cyber War, that book had the most awkward erotic scene I've ever read between Cynthia and Sky Eastman, who is Cynthia's husband in this book. I'm glad the author opted not to be as descriptive with the intimate scenes in this book. She just doesn't have a good command of that sort of scenario. :tiphat:
Oh man that sounds awful haha. I'm glad for the warning because I am considering reading that book!
I'm curious how would you like that book. Hopefully better than me!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 18:14
cpru68 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 13:46 As I’m giving this second novel a try after reading another book by this author, I’m finding that she has a tendency to not develop her characters and their relationships that great. In the prior one, a woman has a one night stand that turns into this weird relationship. This one, they are married and reflect some of the same characteristics as the one night stand couple. There’s just no depth so far as I see.
If the book you're referring to is Cynthia and Dan Cyber War, that book had the most awkward erotic scene I've ever read between Cynthia and Sky Eastman, who is Cynthia's husband in this book. I'm glad the author opted not to be as descriptive with the intimate scenes in this book. She just doesn't have a good command of that sort of scenario. :tiphat:
100% agree. I would say that I liked "romance" portrayed in this book more than the one of Cynthia/Dan/Sky. That was a complete mess.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 11:56
Tom/Kelly's character somehow became the supporting characters when in fact, they must be highlighted in this novel. I also realized that not all honeymooners are pretty obvious in front of other people. So, I understand the way they are portrayed.
I would agree except that the title leads readers to expect something more from Tom & Kelly. There weren't any scenes where the "honeymooners" escaped to 'be alone'!!
I think the author added too many characters to the story. If Tom and Kelly's "honeymoon relationship had been more developed, and if they had been directly involved in more of the action, without Steve, Sharon, Agatha, Cynthia... etc., the title would have made more sense.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

kdstrack wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 14:08
AntonelaMaria wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 11:56
I think the author added too many characters to the story. If Tom and Kelly's "honeymoon relationship had been more developed, and if they had been directly involved in more of the action, without Steve, Sharon, Agatha, Cynthia... etc., the title would have made more sense.
You are absolutely right. This way it seems that these two are the main focus of the story which is not true at all.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Julius_ wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 10:51 This relationship is way too fictional. I mean, we know what to expect of a newly wedded couples, but I believe their characterization made the author achieve the intended objectives
I agree with you. I think how the newly-wed behaves during their honeymoon takes away its believability or they are just not truly in love.
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I definitely did not feel like they were newly-weds based on their interactions. It almost seemed like the author substituted feelings and actions of madly-in-love honeymooners with an overuse of "honey," "darling," and "sweetheart" between Tom and Kelly.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

mmm17 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 11:02 They definitely did not seem madly in love, which one expects to be the case with a newly-wed couple. I felt that this aspect detracted a little from the plot's believability.
I agree with you. The passion that is usually there when people are newly married was a bit too low, so one would just imagine how their relationship who be for the rest of their lives.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

It sounds strange that the newlyweds go out to do separate activities, it doesn't seem to be a solid marriage.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 20:52 It did seem like an unconventional way to start a honeymoon. I thought Steve and Sharon were acting more like newlyweds than Tom and Kelly! They were mooning over each other and dropping insinuating comments to each other. The sparks between those two were more obvious than anything between the actual honeymooners.
Exactly! :drool: :lol2: One thing, I noticed in the plot was the couple set-aside their honeymoon moment for the sake of the sake of their country. Somehow, I appreciate the plot, though the romance part is not described in detail.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Jeremie Mondejar

Readerjorge wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 07:06 It sounds strange that the newlyweds go out to do separate activities, it doesn't seem to be a solid marriage.
Marriage is another plot, but EMP is the literal point with a couple for honeymoon.
Jeremie

kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html

Post by kdstrack »

jeminah28 wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 09:32
Exactly! :drool: :lol2: One thing, I noticed in the plot was the couple set-aside their honeymoon moment for the sake of the sake of their country. Somehow, I appreciate the plot, though the romance part is not described in detail.
I think the romance would have been more believable is the author had dedicated more time to the honeymoon before jumping into the terrorist plot. It was difficult for readers to relate to the "honeymoon" connection between Tom and Kelly.
Jeremie Mondejar

kdstrack wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 11:58
jeminah28 wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 09:32
I think the romance would have been more believable is the author had dedicated more time to the honeymoon before jumping into the terrorist plot. It was difficult for readers to relate to the "honeymoon" connection between Tom and Kelly.
Your idea is very nice. If only the author made a detailed bonding of the honeymooners before the main problems. I notice several reviewers are quite upset of the term 'honeymoon', yet approximately portrayed 10% only in the entire book.
Jeremie

Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html

Post by Van112 »

It seemed a bit too made-up despite the fact that Tom abd Kelly are newlywed. Though I am not saying it is not impossible to have cases like this. This is a very rare case.

Newly weds would somehow choose to stick together however this is not how the author has viewed it.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Jeremie Mondejar

Vivianne Nat wrote: 29 Dec 2019, 03:14 It seemed a bit too made-up despite the fact that Tom abd Kelly are newlywed. Though I am not saying it is not impossible to have cases like this. This is a very rare case.

Newly weds would somehow choose to stick together however this is not how the author has viewed it.
At first, my mind was eager to know about EMP and I didn't mind about the couple's enjoyment. The word honeymoon is also a bit catchy because the couple must stay together, but in the beginning of the story, Kelly and Tom are separated. The introduction somehow missed the reality of honeymooners.
Jeremie

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”