Cold Relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
faint9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Cold Relationship?

Post by faint9 »

We find Tom and Kelly being newlyweds. They are in their honeymoon whereby they are supposed to be together having fun. Instead Tom goes out exploring the place with a dive boat while Kelly is out in a tour bus. Everyone minding his/ her business.

Do you think that their marriage is a bit cold, has started on a low note or it just one way of having fun independently?
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I think their marriage is frigid. Like when Kelly got so stressed when she and Steve broke into the computer lab, and she broke into the computers so they could get information on the terrorists. When they all got back to where Kelly and Tom were staying, Kelly was distraught and almost having a panic attack. It was awhile before anyone noticed, and it was Sharon instead of Tom who gave her something for a headache and covered her with a blanket. Tom didn't seem concerned at all. They did not act like a newly married couple! :D
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I know there are some couples out there that prefer to do things independently, but they generally come back with a lot to talk to each other about. And, they generally only get to that point after a few years of being together. It seems like a major red flag to go on your honeymoon and choose to do things separately.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

Their relationship seems under-developed and overshadowed by the rest of the story. The author can write se romance, as we've seen with Sharon and Steve, though not a lot of time seems invested by the author to do the same for Tom and Kelly.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

They definitely did not seem madly in love, which one expects to be the case with a newly-wed couple. I felt that this aspect detracted a little from the plot's believability.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

That's a good point, now that I stop to think about it. They certainly don't act like newlyweds. I wouldn't mind it if they were independent and reserved people, which influences what their relationship looks like, but their characterization doesn't really go in that direction.
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I'd call it having fun independently. Why should one sacrifice and do something he or she really doesn't enjoy? They'll get together later and share experiences.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I confused why Tom was ok with his wife going into danger and even encouraged her to do it. You would think as a cop and as her husband, he would want to protect her from that. The relationship could have been written better.
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

As a matter of fact, I stopped reading this book within a few pages when I realized that the premise of this book is so weird. I wanted to think that there might be some valid reason for Tom and Kelly to be at two different places on their honeymoon, but couldn't think of many. I just couldn't identify with them any more after Tom decides to continue with his fishing trip even though his wife was clearly acting strange.
So yes, I definitely agree that theirs was a cold relationship.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

This is probably just one of those books where for whatever reason the secondary couple is more interesting or engaging than the main couple. I assume the author related more to them as is sometimes the case when this happens. I mean not everybody has to be clingy and lovey-dovey all the time but it IS a honeymoon. You go on it to spend time together, to do things together. And romance fans are going to notice the disconnect.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Beyond their choice to do separate activities during the honeymoon, I think that Tom was very condescending to Kelly throughout the book. And what kind of new husband calls his wife "girl"? I thought that seemed really weird. They only seemed to get along with each other when it was convenient for the plot.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

melissy370 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 16:41 I confused why Tom was ok with his wife going into danger and even encouraged her to do it. You would think as a cop and as her husband, he would want to protect her from that. The relationship could have been written better.
I definitely agree! I also wondered how Tom could be so nonchalant about Kelly's role, and just sending her off without going with her. Or at least protesting her involvement!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

bb587 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 08:04 I know there are some couples out there that prefer to do things independently, but they generally come back with a lot to talk to each other about. And, they generally only get to that point after a few years of being together. It seems like a major red flag to go on your honeymoon and choose to do things separately.
Agreed, it did seem a bit disconcerting for a book with honeymoon IN THE TITLE to start with a scene in which a newlywed was wandering the streets of a foreign country alone. Each to their own (literally or metaphorically) but it wouldn't be my ideal romantic situation, lol
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

It does seem like a strange relationship for a newly wed couple. It's a shame the author didn't expound on the relationship between the main characters. I think the author could've added a lot of flavour to the story with a strong character bond, or perhaps with some sort of backstory to explain their offbeat behaviors. But I guess the author gave more importance to keeping the story a lighthearted read so chose not to go into detail. Most reviews I came across haven't mentioned this oddity, so I suppose you'd have to be a certain kind of deep reader to notice!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

This relationship is way too fictional. I mean, we know what to expect of a newly weded couples, but I believe their characterization made the author achieve the intended objectives
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”