Cold Relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: Cold Relationship?

Post by Blindjew »

For me, it was more that their marriage and its positive impact was intrinsic in how they cared about each others' well being. It didn't seem like it was heated or highly passionate due to the events going on taking precedence, and even then, they found time to do tasks together, like the recon. In a good marriage, both parties will enjoy different things, and they will experience soem of them together, but when truly secure, it's fine to enjoy events separately. If one prefers snorkeling while the other wants to go on a tour within an exotic locale where time is precious, then it makes sense to divide and conquer the fun. This is the second book I've read within this series, and the passion of romance seems to come as second to the plot itself, more taken in stride, a part of the motion than something that flares intensely. Endearing romance and love rather than passionate impacts.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I think that the marriage of Tom and Kelly is just one way of having fun independently rather than being cold and starting on a low note. Their wandering in two different directions minding their own business only represents the hardships of daily life that add a taste to life. The difficulties on their path (confrontation with the terrorist group) makes the relationship all the more real and stable!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Karina Nowak wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 12:53 This is probably just one of those books where for whatever reason the secondary couple is more interesting or engaging than the main couple. I assume the author related more to them as is sometimes the case when this happens. I mean not everybody has to be clingy and lovey-dovey all the time but it IS a honeymoon. You go on it to spend time together, to do things together. And romance fans are going to notice the disconnect.
I notice it, too. I also wonder may things. Tom is a cop, therefore, he knows where is the best place for their honeymoon. The author offers with a different genre, not just romance, but also in C/T/M/H genre.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Jeremie Mondejar

Disneyland wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 03:32 I think that the marriage of Tom and Kelly is just one way of having fun independently rather than being cold and starting on a low note. Their wandering in two different directions minding their own business only represents the hardships of daily life that add a taste to life. The difficulties on their path (confrontation with the terrorist group) makes the relationship all the more real and stable!
Your point is also perfect! I just look it out in other point of view when uncommon circumstances happen. It is an emergency that needs to be addressed properly and immediately for the sake of the country. Their honeymoon was marred by the terrorist attack.
Jeremie

Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

I have not read the book yet, but that sounds cold to me. I think a couple would want to spend every minute of their honeymoon together.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
timur777
Currently Reading: One Bad Decision
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timur777.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by timur777 »

I appreciate you bringing up this topic, because that was something that I have noticed myself while reading the book and I felt the same way. Definitely a cold relationship. Especially since they are newly weds. Not a case of mad love for sure.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Normally we expect newlyweds to have a fervid relationship, especially during their honeymoon.
I think Tom and Kelly's relationship can be best described as not only a cold one but also as a queer one. I don't see the reason why Tom could neglect protecting Kelly as early as this stage of relationship. The author may have done this intentionally, but it doesn't make the story to look real.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Newlyweds usually spend all of their time together, so that was a little strange for them to go their separate ways already. I didn't really feel the love between them.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It did seem like an unconventional way to start a honeymoon. I thought Steve and Sharon were acting more like newlyweds than Tom and Kelly! They were mooning over each other and dropping insinuating comments to each other. The sparks between those two were more obvious than anything between the actual honeymooners.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

bb587 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 08:04 I know there are some couples out there that prefer to do things independently, but they generally come back with a lot to talk to each other about. And, they generally only get to that point after a few years of being together. It seems like a major red flag to go on your honeymoon and choose to do things separately.
Exactly. Anyway, it's kind of weird to behave like that on the honeymoon. :mrgreen:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

J_odoyo wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 04:31 Normally we expect newlyweds to have a fervid relationship, especially during their honeymoon.
I think Tom and Kelly's relationship can be best described as not only a cold one but also as a queer one. I don't see the reason why Tom could neglect protecting Kelly as early as this stage of relationship. The author may have done this intentionally, but it doesn't make the story to look real.
Perhaps Tom and Kelly had been living together for some time before they decided to get married, in which case the first flush of love may have worn off? :)
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I find it odd that this book should be classified in the Romance genre without the proper development of the romantic relationship between newlyweds like Kelly and Tom. I agree, their relationship lacked depth as newlyweds. The author could have done better with the relationship that existed between the 2.
Jeremie Mondejar

kdstrack wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 20:52 It did seem like an unconventional way to start a honeymoon. I thought Steve and Sharon were acting more like newlyweds than Tom and Kelly! They were mooning over each other and dropping insinuating comments to each other. The sparks between those two were more obvious than anything between the actual honeymooners.
Tom/Kelly's character somehow became the supporting characters when in fact, they must be highlighted in this novel. I also realized that not all honeymooners are pretty obvious in front of other people. So, I understand the way they are portrayed.
Jeremie

kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

jeminah28 wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 20:58
kdstrack wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 20:52 It did seem like an unconventional way to start a honeymoon. I thought Steve and Sharon were acting more like newlyweds than Tom and Kelly! They were mooning over each other and dropping insinuating comments to each other. The sparks between those two were more obvious than anything between the actual honeymooners.
Tom/Kelly's character somehow became the supporting characters when in fact, they must be highlighted in this novel. I also realized that not all honeymooners are pretty obvious in front of other people. So, I understand the way they are portrayed.
I would agree except that the title leads readers to expect something more from Tom & Kelly. There weren't any scenes where the "honeymooners" escaped to 'be alone'!!
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

I go for cold here. They act mostly like enthused teenage pals rather than partners.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”