Thoughts on the Henry Haven-Harbinger section? (Possible spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Thoughts on the Henry Haven-Harbinger section? (Possible spoilers)

Post by Reynaa »

I did like this section and thought it was pretty enlightening, though the whole segment doesn't seem to go with the rest of the book. I thought the character of Dr. Kinney was built up but then didn't really go anywhere afterwards.

I enjoyed the link for readers to find out more about CME and the NASA photo. That was unique.

Did you enjoy this section? Does it feel like it belongs in the book? Do you think it seems random?
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I think this section gave some needed background, but it could have been used more or given another way. I enjoyed this section, but the book would have been sufficient without it too.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:02 I did like this section and thought it was pretty enlightening, though the whole segment doesn't seem to go with the rest of the book. I thought the character of Dr. Kinney was built up but then didn't really go anywhere afterwards.

I enjoyed the link for readers to find out more about CME and the NASA photo. That was unique.

Did you enjoy this section? Does it feel like it belongs in the book? Do you think it seems random?
I liked that part because it intrigued me to research more about the subject. However, you have a point with the build-up not going anywhere later on in the storyline.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

vermontelf wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 08:20 I think this section gave some needed background, but it could have been used more or given another way. I enjoyed this section, but the book would have been sufficient without it too.
I agree, it gave great background information but then it felt like an unfinished storyline. I liked the Dr. character a lot.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 09:52
Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:02 I did like this section and thought it was pretty enlightening, though the whole segment doesn't seem to go with the rest of the book. I thought the character of Dr. Kinney was built up but then didn't really go anywhere afterwards.

I liked that part because it intrigued me to research more about the subject. However, you have a point with the build-up not going anywhere later on in the storyline.
I really enjoyed the links. I haven't come across that in many books, I think it's a neat tool for digital books.

I actually was confused when I finished that chapter and a new man (Steve) meets Rheese, I thought the new character was the Dr. who was going to be a main character in Honduras. I'm not sure why, maybe I'm the only one haha.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Reynaa wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 10:01

I really enjoyed the links. I haven't come across that in many books, I think it's a neat tool for digital books.

I actually was confused when I finished that chapter and a new man (Steve) meets Rheese, I thought the new character was the Dr. who was going to be a main character in Honduras. I'm not sure why, maybe I'm the only one haha.
Not the only one I thought that too. I can't say anything about the links because I did this book as audio so I missed out on them.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 10:14
Reynaa wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 10:01

Not the only one I thought that too. I can't say anything about the links because I did this book as audio so I missed out on them.
Oh yeah, I never considered this as an audiobook, sorry! I have 2 young, loud kids so I haven't been able to try audiobooks yet haha
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I did like this section but yes, it did seem random to me. And I agree that it didn't go anywhere after all in the book. It was interesting, but it was kind of like an aside to the rest of the book.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

I liked this section, too. At first, it seemed very random to me as it didn't go with the rest of the book. However, I believe that it provided a background, which made the book a little more interesting.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I would've loved to read a story more closely related to this specific section since the idea is quite interesting. Also, Dr. Kinney could be an interesting character since I enjoyed his charisma and intelligence. It does feel kind of a random addition to the novel though.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

The book seems interesting, judging by the discussions. Sadly, I downloaded the audible version and had a problem with it. I hope I get to read it someday.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I thought it was interesting to take an up close look at the subject. We rely so much on power for everything that an outage would be awful! I thought the author could have put the picture and link in the back of the book. I find with this book and one of hers that I read prior that she interrupts her stories. The subheadings bothered me along the way as well. I just felt like the picture and link took away from the good flow of writing she had going in that section.
Everything happens for a reason...
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

vermontelf wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 08:20 I think this section gave some needed background, but it could have been used more or given another way. I enjoyed this section, but the book would have been sufficient without it too.
Inclusion of it gave an interesting perspective and insight, but as you said, its absence would have had little effect on the character lineup and storyline itself.
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

Michelle Fred wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 13:17 The book seems interesting, judging by the discussions. Sadly, I downloaded the audible version and had a problem with it. I hope I get to read it someday.
That’s really too bad. I used the audible version and enjoyed listening to the book. Although, I do think the audio version is a small piece of why I felt the characters were underdeveloped. I think I am better at retaining details if I see them rather than hear them.

I do hope you’ll give this book another try.
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

Reynaa wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 09:58
I agree, it gave great background information but then it felt like an unfinished storyline. I liked the Dr. character a lot.
Yes, that’s it! It felt like an unfinished storyline even though it was referenced again later.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”