Thoughts on the Henry Haven-Harbinger section? (Possible spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Thoughts on the Henry Haven-Harbinger section? (Possible spoilers)

Post by Urbashi Basu »

I liked this section a lot for the easy way it describes the potential threat. I think the premise of the entire story drives forward from this and so it is essential.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I liked this section of the book too, as well as the character. With as much build up as Peter Kinney got, I felt sure he would feature later. Whenever you read or watch something with a government/terrorist type of situation, they always have some sort of expert that comes in and explains things so that the President and reader/viewer can fully understand the extent of the crises. I was both disappointed and not surprised that Kinney was never brought back into the story later. This whole plot was written in a way that made the government an unimportant/incompetent part of defeating the terrorists so that the spotlight stayed on "Team Usa". Kinney wasn't a part of "Team USA" so this short section was a way for the author to relay the necessary information for the reader to understand the crisis without needing any further input from this character. I thought it was uniquely done, at the least.
Bhagyashree Jain
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhagyashree-jain.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Bhagyashree Jain »

I think the Henry Haven section made sense, because Kelly tries to recollect the name of Dr. Peter Kenney when she first sees the power grid in the hidden section behind a shop in Honduras. Also, this section raises curiosity for the readers about important national security issues. This section does not completely stand out of place and creates a little background about what Kelly and Mike might be concerned with later.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I thought this section was interesting and would have been glad for the author to explore it further.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:02 I did like this section and thought it was pretty enlightening, though the whole segment doesn't seem to go with the rest of the book. I thought the character of Dr. Kinney was built up but then didn't really go anywhere afterwards.

I enjoyed the link for readers to find out more about CME and the NASA photo. That was unique.

Did you enjoy this section? Does it feel like it belongs in the book? Do you think it seems random?
I think this section was strategic, so that readers can gain some valuable knowledge.
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Blindjew »

It was a nice aside, but I wished it had played more into the story, or, rather, that the character was more integral rather than a talking head of sorts. This may be an intentional loose thread to be used in a later story, one of those things that you go 'Oh, yeah, I remember mention of him!" sort of things. I hope that happens with several of the characters, like Soojin and Steve.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This was one of my favorite parts of the book! It explained the title and stressed the gravity of the terrorist threat. I appreciated the information and the author's research on this topic.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Helene_2008 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 18:17 I agree with you that Dr. Kinney seemed like he was going to have more of a role and then didn't. I liked this section a lot. I think it helped explain what EMP is to the reader. I also found the part about solar flares really interesting.
Exactly! I guess, if the character of Dr. Kinney was not included, what shall be the possible approach of knowing EMP? His character gives us hint about EMP, even myself, I don't know what is EMP. If I haven't read this novel, I don't care all about it, including sun flares.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Blindjew wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 17:28 It was a nice aside, but I wished it had played more into the story, or, rather, that the character was more integral rather than a talking head of sorts. This may be an intentional loose thread to be used in a later story, one of those things that you go 'Oh, yeah, I remember mention of him!" sort of things. I hope that happens with several of the characters, like Soojin and Steve.
I wish it played more into the story too. As that part was more interesting to me than all the rest of the plotline.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Um, I have a question: how was this related to the whole story?
Besides, yeah, maybe it was interesting information but I think if the whole photo thing was at the end of the book it would’ve been better? I mean, it’s a fictional story (romance) and not a science book or a non-fiction.
I’m just saying, the whole thing didn’t fit well.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Noosh wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 13:09 Um, I have a question: how was this related to the whole story?
Besides, yeah, maybe it was interesting information but I think if the whole photo thing was at the end of the book it would’ve been better? I mean, it’s a fictional story (romance) and not a science book or a non-fiction.
I’m just saying, the whole thing didn’t fit well.
Good question. Maybe because we have EMP in the title so that was that part of the story. Same with honeymoon part of the title. Justification by the author about the whole plot. Or where she got the inspiration for the terrorist part of the book. I don't know. I did this book as audio so I don't know about the photo all I can really say is that I'm not mad at this part it turns ut more positive side of the book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I also liked the section. Though it seemed disjointed from the book, it provided a much-needed background later in the book.
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I loved the information I got from the section, but I wish the author had returned to the T.V. show towards the end of the novel to wrap it all up. Without revisiting the section or mentioning those characters again, it felt a bit random.
I did not enjoy the random photo with the link, I thought it belonged more in an article and did not go well with the format of the novel.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I strongly feel it belongs to the book because the section sheds light on what Kelly saw at the strange gift-shop.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

It did feel really out of place to me. If there was more character development, I think it would have fit very well. It wasn't a bad section; it had very thought-provoking ideas and I am still thinking about what a lack of technology would do to society. This reminds me of when Facebook crashed on a global scale earlier this year. It was amazing to see how dependent society has become so "need to know".
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”