Ending of this book( possible spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Re: Ending of this book( possible spoilers)

Post by mensah2 »

I think since the main character is anonymous, it is filled with enough suspense to make ending interesting. The hero always comes unexpected.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:19 How did you feel about the ending? What did you like, what did you not like, and what do you wish had been different? Was the ending satisfying?.

I liked the ending. I think all the loose ends were tied pretty well. I also liked how the true hero of the story is an anonymous brave person who works in shadows and for the welfare of our countries and planet. That was the real part of this book, not just fiction, in my opinion. How many people are working every day to make this place safer? And they don't do it for glory or fame or money! I feel like this book should be a dedication to all the whistleblowers out there. I find the ending of the book very positive and satisfying.
I agree with you. That was my thought too. The book ended well to me. No lose ends. I like how it ended.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Reynaa wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 08:02
jeminah28 wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 20:25
Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:06 I liked the ending but it lost a bit of it's luster for me. It felt a little detached and rushed.
I feel it, too. Abrupt ending! Our mind usually wanted more the romantic bond between the couple as the novel was denoted to them. I thought it might be in the ending, again as I said in the other topic, their romance was sugarcoated with the word 'honeymoon.'
You described it exactly! I was more invested in the Sharon/Steve romance than Kelly and Tom at the end. They seemed forced. It seemed like the author kind of got in their groove from the middle of the book on, with the beginning characters floundering a bit.
I wasn't expecting much romance because this book is not a romance book. I think the author was trying to avoid distractions from the main perspective of the story.
timur777
Currently Reading: One Bad Decision
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timur777.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by timur777 »

I have opposite feelings about the ending. On one side, it ended with resolutions and did well with conclusion. On the other side, I wish it wasn't so rushed. I believe the writer could have extended it or came to it more gradually. But in overall, definitely a great book!
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Blindjew »

I likewise enjoyed the fact that the real savior of it all wasn't the main cast but an unforeseen ally and unkown to the heroes in general. The intrigue around those yoked into such a regime as Dear Leader had proves that even the other side can have allies among them, those who have ethics and morals can win out. That part of the ending was pretty satisfying, as was the incompetence of the key villain showing through. Even with a combination of lucky circumstances and varied, overqualified skills amongst the heroes, it wasn't enough. Sadly, it wasn't quite so suspenseful due to the tracks being clearly laid out, but it was fun to ride the story train along.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I think that the story could not have a better ending. I liked the part in which Tom and Kelly accepted a congratulatory phone call from the President after winning the war against the terrorists! I also liked that they opted for an extra three weeks honeymoon and a lift on Air Force One to a seven-hundred-dollar a day island resort of their own choice, courtsey of the President of the good old US of A!
SirLaddie
Favorite Author: Brian O'Hare
Favorite Book: Beneath the Dark Ice
Currently Reading: The Everything Creative Writing
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirladdie.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 46107

Post by SirLaddie »

I was stunned by the ending. I wasn't expecting such a quick and abrupt ending. It is the most abrupt ending I have ever run across in a book.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

Inasmuch as the loose ends were tied at the end, the book appeared to have ended suddenly. Kelly and Tom didn't appear to have much of a romantic relationship as depicted by the title of the book. The name of the book should've been: E-M-P Honeymoon: Steve and Sharon.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nkoo wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 13:47 Inasmuch as the loose ends were tied at the end, the book appeared to have ended suddenly. Kelly and Tom didn't appear to have much of a romantic relationship as depicted by the title of the book. The name of the book should've been: E-M-P Honeymoon: Steve and Sharon.
I have issues with misleading title and romance in it too. I think your suggestion for the name of the book is perfect.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

timur777 wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 11:40 I have opposite feelings about the ending. On one side, it ended with resolutions and did well with conclusion. On the other side, I wish it wasn't so rushed. I believe the writer could have extended it or came to it more gradually. But in overall, definitely a great book!
I get your point. Maybe I have a different view of liking this ending because I did this book as audio. I don't know! Or maybe I was glad it was over as the book went in a direction I didn't care much about.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

ohlendorfbe wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 12:35 I also am a teacher (retired but subbing). I agree with the above comment about not receiving credit, but not really desiring it. I think that's how Kim Jung Lo felt, too. He did the best he could to save the world. I felt the whole book was just written too simplistically. As one of the other questions in this forum discussed, it had the flavor of being a spoof of our country's defenses and international relationships. WIth that in mind, I think the ending followed in that manner.
You summarized it very well. It was a simple book we all expected way too much of it.
On another note, :tiphat: for being a teacher, here is my credit and appreciation.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I liked the ending as well. All of the questions were answered, and I also liked the section about the unknown hero.
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

Many of the different plots were connected and wrapped up at the end of this book, which was satisfying. However, I did feel it was a bit rushed and lacked development (particularly of the characters and their feelings afterwards).
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I did not reach the ending... It was just not the story for my taste, so I chose something else to read.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree the ending was rushed - like checking off a list of each character. It was nice that Tom and Kelly were given a second honeymoon. Maybe this second attempt will be without EMP interference!

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”