Romance & Relationship in this book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Re: Romance & Relationship in this book

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Though, the title has romance but the story doesn't have it. I think it is more of an action packed novel.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
faint9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by faint9 »

Tom and Kelley's relationship is not that one would say it's vibrant. Imagine they are on honeymoon but everyone has his/her business. Tom is out exploring the place on dive boat while Kelly is on a tour bus. They are supposed to be together. Something seems not going well.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

faint9 wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 05:16 Tom and Kelley's relationship is not that one would say it's vibrant. Imagine they are on honeymoon but everyone has his/her business. Tom is out exploring the place on dive boat while Kelly is on a tour bus. They are supposed to be together. Something seems not going well.
I got your point. I also wonder, Tom is a cop, definitely, he knows the safest place, but why in Honduras? Somewhat, the story is a bit technical.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Neha++ wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 23:36 I agree with you, I will categorize this book under action/suspense rather than romance. I felt no connection between Kelly and Tom. There wasn't much of romance in this book, but it successfully drives you through lots of action and suspence.
I agree. And I that my enjoyment was mainly because of interesting subjects and Su Jin- the antagonist. She was the most fleshed-out character, besides charming Steve.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

faint9 wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 05:16 Tom and Kelley's relationship is not that one would say it's vibrant. Imagine they are on honeymoon but everyone has his/her business. Tom is out exploring the place on dive boat while Kelly is on a tour bus. They are supposed to be together. Something seems not going well.
Good point! :tiphat:
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 02:58 Though, the title has romance but the story doesn't have it. I think it is more of an action packed novel.
I did expect more romance. But mainly I was disappointed because in the end, I didn't even feel the connection between Tom & Kelly.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

Romance novels are always thrilling because they tend to involve the reader's emotions. However, for this novel, I don't think if it can be classified as a romance genre because the romance in it is so minute.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

This book is like 2 out of 10 in romance scale. I however love the little spark between Sharon and Steve. The author will do well in creating some further story on these two character.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I did love the budding relationship and interaction between Sharon and Spalding the best, though, the romantic encounters were mild and far between.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

This book is not very romantic making it less interesting. However it has some relationships.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

With "Honeymoon" in the title, I expected a lot more romance. I'm a big fan of the show "Bones." Booth and Brennan end up as a couple thought they still need to be professional to work together. Still, even before they were together, there was an obvious bond that I feel Tom and Kelly are missing.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I would not classify this book as a romance novel. It is more of an action book.

As to Kelly and Tom's relationship, the connection between them could have been developed more. I thought it was odd that Kelly and Tom weren't together in the beginning of the book. I get that a couple may want to do different things on vacation, but on your honeymoon it seems strange that you would plan activities that would keep you apart for hours.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

In my opinion, romance isn't this book's strongest feature. Despite the title, Kelly and Tom's relationship felt rather bland to me. They didn't seem like a couple madly in love during their honeymoon. But then again, I guess this is not the book's main focus.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:11 How do you feel about romance and relationships in this book? Would you categorize this book as a romance novel? What relationship was the most interesting one?

I wouldn't put this book in a romance genre. Maybe suspense/action. There was hardly any romance in it. Except for Kelly and Tom being married, and the possible relationship between Sharon and Steve. Speaking of Tom and Kelly's marriage I didn't feel the connection between them. I did love the relationship Kelly had with her brother Mike. I think that was my favorite relationship in the book.
I agree with you about the brother. It is so nice to have one and to know that you can rely on him to help you. It was big help this time.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 10:00 I would not classify this book as a romance novel. It is more of an action book.

As to Kelly and Tom's relationship, the connection between them could have been developed more. I thought it was odd that Kelly and Tom weren't together in the beginning of the book. I get that a couple may want to do different things on vacation, but on your honeymoon it seems strange that you would plan activities that would keep you apart for hours.
Yes and yes to your ideas. I suppose the honeymooners were doing things apart because it was convenient for the plot to be started. Another explanation would be that they had been living together long enough at the moment of their marriage for the need to be together every moment of their honeymoon to be less than urgent.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”