Romance & Relationship in this book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Re: Romance & Relationship in this book

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:28
Clorinda Donovan wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 10:12 The lack of romance is terrible because it always helps personalize a story. Besides, I suspect the author meant for a more romantic setting.
I think so too. Otherwise why would this be in romance genre if author didn't feel like it represent it enough?!
Yep. Maybe the author doesn't like to describe romantic situations!? 😕
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Agnes Masobeng wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 10:09 I think what raised our expectation is the word, 'honeymoon' within the title of book. Upon seeing how Tom and Kelly's relationship are, we got dispirited. When the book is categorised as romance, we're expecting to see more of romance than anything else.
My thoughts exactly!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Clorinda Donovan wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 10:23
AntonelaMaria wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:28
Clorinda Donovan wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 10:12 The lack of romance is terrible because it always helps personalize a story. Besides, I suspect the author meant for a more romantic setting.
I think so too. Otherwise why would this be in romance genre if author didn't feel like it represent it enough?!
Yep. Maybe the author doesn't like to describe romantic situations!? 😕
Or overall romantic feel of the book? Is not there.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

We can safely say the book was not a romance novel, rather a book of a certain genre with a sprinkle of romance.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Agnes Masobeng wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 10:09 I think what raised our expectation is the word, 'honeymoon' within the title of book. Upon seeing how Tom and Kelly's relationship are, we got dispirited. When the book is categorised as romance, we're expecting to see more of romance than anything else.
So right you are. If one should not judge a book by its cover, maybe a choice based in title raises some unrealistic expectations.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I agree. The book only hints at romance. I think it should be categorized in the Sci-fi genre. It was however an action packed fun read. I like the relationship between Cynthia and her team.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I agree! It's unfortunate that the romance she envisioned for them did not shine through in the story.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:11 How do you feel about romance and relationships in this book? Would you categorize this book as a romance novel? What relationship was the most interesting one?

I wouldn't put this book in a romance genre. Maybe suspense/action. There was hardly any romance in it. Except for Kelly and Tom being married, and the possible relationship between Sharon and Steve. Speaking of Tom and Kelly's marriage I didn't feel the connection between them. I did love the relationship Kelly had with her brother Mike. I think that was my favorite relationship in the book.
This book is not a romance book, so I don't expect any romance scene.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

I haven't read the book yet but from all your discussions it seems the book didn't have romance or had little
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

It seems you're asking us to define what constitute romance. I don't think the dept of a relationship can be the bases to disqualify a book as romance. Though the connection between Tom and Kelly isn't strong, the book contains some elements of romance and can be classified as such.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

mensah2 wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 06:59 It seems you're asking us to define what constitute romance. I don't think the dept of a relationship can be the bases to disqualify a book as romance. Though the connection between Tom and Kelly isn't strong, the book contains some elements of romance and can be classified as such.
I don't know what gave you that impression? I wasn't trying to ask for a definition of romance. That is such a deeper conversation. It is a simple question about the genre of this book.
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Blindjew »

This book was less the 'passionate' romance and more the 'safe' romance in which the romanticism lies in its story. A campy whimsy that plays out like an action romance film where the key features are existing couples or budding couples drawn into extraordinary circumstances and less so about the fire stoking between the characters. It's a 'safe' sort of romance that has less suspense (save at the beginning, that was decently suspenseful) and more slice of extraordinary lives among couples and potential couples.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

winecellarlibrary wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 12:47
I agree! It's unfortunate that the romance she envisioned for them did not shine through in the story.
Yep. 😖
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Blindjew wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 17:14 This book was less the 'passionate' romance and more the 'safe' romance in which the romanticism lies in its story. A campy whimsy that plays out like an action romance film where the key features are existing couples or budding couples drawn into extraordinary circumstances and less so about the fire stoking between the characters. It's a 'safe' sort of romance that has less suspense (save at the beginning, that was decently suspenseful) and more slice of extraordinary lives among couples and potential couples.
I get what you are saying but I still didn't feel conncetion whatsoever between Kelly and Tom. Would you call it a romance book no matter what kind of relationship is portrayed in it?
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that I didn't really sense the chemistry between Kelly and Tom, and I think classifying it as action and suspense would be a better fit.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”