Romance & Relationship in this book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: Romance & Relationship in this book

Post by AntonelaMaria »

J_odoyo wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 07:49 Personally I wouldn't classify this book under romance genre. Tom and Kelly's relationship was so tasteless. Perhaps the author did this intentionally, but it made me see nothing like romance in this novel. Although I liked Sharon and Steve's relationship, there was no much to it to hint romance, especially in such a new relationship.
I think that is the majority opinion here. This is definitely more of an action novel with some romance hint as you said it. Not sure about author's intentions.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

The book should not be classified as Romance rather its a suspense novel. I liked all the aspects of the book and do agree that Kelly and Tom love was flat.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sharon2056 wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 14:39 The book should not be classified as Romance rather its a suspense novel. I liked all the aspects of the book and do agree that Kelly and Tom love was flat.
Even though the ending was optimistic and satisfying, Tom and Kelly as a leading couple were very much monotonous.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I would agree that this book really doesn't fit into the romance category aside from the main characters being in a relationship. There really wasn't any more romance than you might expect in an average book. It was more of an action story.
Michelle_Cerone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-cerone.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Michelle_Cerone »

I don't know if I would classify this as a romance. It was more of an action-adventure book with a little bit of romance but I think it made sense considering the scope of the possible terrorist attacks.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I don't think it's a romance novel, and it's probably not intended to be one. Sure, there's the flirtatious banter between Sharon and Steve and Kelly's marriage but they're more of a side note. Maybe to keep the reading experience lighter...?
I think the author focused more on the suspense/action aspect of the plot.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I too would not classify this as romance. Tom and Kelly just didn't have that spark that would make it fall under that genre.
DonnaKay
Currently Reading: A Portrait of Mommy
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnakay.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by DonnaKay »

This is definitely not a romance book but an action thriller. I agree with you that there is very little romance through out book.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:11 How do you feel about romance and relationships in this book? Would you categorize this book as a romance novel? What relationship was the most interesting one?

I wouldn't put this book in a romance genre. Maybe suspense/action. There was hardly any romance in it. Except for Kelly and Tom being married, and the possible relationship between Sharon and Steve. Speaking of Tom and Kelly's marriage I didn't feel the connection between them. I did love the relationship Kelly had with her brother Mike. I think that was my favorite relationship in the book.
I agree, Kelly and Mike had a better relationship than Kelly's marriage to Tom. She relied more on Mike's help than on Tom.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

While the novel’s title focuses a lot on the romantic part of the story, the most important theme actually is conspiracy followed by espionage acts. I loved reading this from start to finish.
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Hannalore »

I wouldn't call this book a romance novel but it falls more on action thriller. There is no much romance through out the book.
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:11 How do you feel about romance and relationships in this book? Would you categorize this book as a romance novel? What relationship was the most interesting one?

I wouldn't put this book in a romance genre. Maybe suspense/action. There was hardly any romance in it. Except for Kelly and Tom being married, and the possible relationship between Sharon and Steve. Speaking of Tom and Kelly's marriage I didn't feel the connection between them. I did love the relationship Kelly had with her brother Mike. I think that was my favorite relationship in the book.
Yup, I agree, this book contains tiniest bit of romance leading it to more action- thriller genre
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I agree with you on the romance part. I wouldn't put the book in the romance genre either. For me the genre would be 'thriller'. It was indeed a thrilling read.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Hannalore wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 12:51 I wouldn't call this book a romance novel but it falls more on action thriller. There is no much romance through out the book.
For someone who has not read this book, this is good to know. I am more interested in reading it knowing that it is more of an action thriller.
Vin Doobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vin-doobs.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Vin Doobs »

Sharon and Steve would have hit it off better. There appears to be more connection between these two characters.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”