Overall rating and opinion of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the December 2019 Book of the Month, "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While I am just getting started on it I have mixed feelings. I like how action-packed the scene with Kelly being followed is. The parts with Dr. Kinney explaining how e-m-p could be a reality, I found a little confusing, but I am hoping it will all come together.
I would recommend it to lovers of sci-fi.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I would recommend this book but not to romance readers. I think that description is misleading. It is an action-packed book for sure. My favorite part is the ending and how everything was resolved. I also like how this book deals with interesting subjects like a solar flare. It is a thing I didn't know much about but after reading this book I was researching more. I always appreciate it when a book teaches me something that I didn't know before. On the other side, I would like if there were a stronger female character.
I definitely recommend this book as an audio. The narrator did an amazing job with it.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I loved this book. I thought it was fun and intruiging with characters full of personality. I rated it three out of four stars in my review.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I love to read spy novel and this book satisfies my interest. I already rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I like the way the author put some 'tensions' throughout the story.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

Overall, I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. The genre is not what I usually read, although I do enjoy some action books, especially when based on science. I found some of the interactions between characters to be just a bit far fetched though. Sometimes, my disbelief had to be put aside while reading to believe the coincidences, but that is true in the fantasy books I read as well. I bogged down a bit in chapter nine, perhaps because the dialog seemed too stilted, maybe because the characters were just too awkward, but then the action picked back up.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:32 I would recommend this book but not to romance readers. I think that description is misleading. It is an action-packed book for sure. My favorite part is the ending and how everything was resolved. I also like how this book deals with interesting subjects like a solar flare. It is a thing I didn't know much about but after reading this book I was researching more. I always appreciate it when a book teaches me something that I didn't know before. On the other side, I would like if there were a stronger female character.
I definitely recommend this book as an audio. The narrator did an amazing job with it.
I'm glad you mentioned that you think romance is a misleading description. I'm not a huge fan of romance novels, so I wasn't sure I would read this book. But, knowing it's more action-packed, I think I'll check it out!
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:32 I definitely recommend this book as an audio. The narrator did an amazing job with it.
That's awesome to hear; it seems to me that sometimes CTMH novels are better in text than audio because the narrator doesn't quite "fit". Sounds like this one is a good match, though. Thank you for your recommendation.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I don't find the relationship between honeymoon and terrorist attack,the two dont sound or blend well.My rating would be 3 out of 4 stars.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Overall I liked this book, but not as a romance novel! It was more of a fast-paced action story. I did not get a sense of connection between the honeymooners, Tom, and Kelly, so I can't help but wonder why the word honeymoon was in the title. What I liked most about the book was the ending, and I also enjoyed the budding relationship between Steve and
Sharon, although it couldn't be called romantic since they were busy trying to catch terrorists. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars in my review.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kaylee123 wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 13:57
AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:32 I would recommend this book but not to romance readers. I think that description is misleading. It is an action-packed book for sure. My favorite part is the ending and how everything was resolved. I also like how this book deals with interesting subjects like a solar flare. It is a thing I didn't know much about but after reading this book I was researching more. I always appreciate it when a book teaches me something that I didn't know before. On the other side, I would like if there were a stronger female character.
I'm glad you mentioned that you think romance is a misleading description. I'm not a huge fan of romance novels, so I wasn't sure I would read this book. But, knowing it's more action-packed, I think I'll check it out!
Glad I could help! Well, it is safe to say that romance for the most part in this book is only implied, and it is a minor part of this book. I hope you enjoy it.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

evraealtana wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 13:57
AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:32 I definitely recommend this book as an audio. The narrator did an amazing job with it.
That's awesome to hear; it seems to me that sometimes CTMH novels are better in text than audio because the narrator doesn't quite "fit". Sounds like this one is a good match, though. Thank you for your recommendation.
To be completely honest I don't think I would enjoy this book as much if I didn't do it as audio. I think it is all very subjective. For me for example, sometimes listening to certain scenes is different than reading but doesn't have much connection with the genre. I usually use audio as a time saver because I couldn't read as much otherwise. But one thing is for sure the narrator can make or break the book. I hope you enjoy it!
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I immediately liked Kelly and found myself experiencing her trauma as she went through it.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP

I noted some comments on how the title is somewhat misleading and I feel like I have to agree. Not knowing what EMP means and reading honeymoon, some people might expect more of romance from this book.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP

I thoroughly enjoyed the author’s writing style and was thrilled at how quickly I felt drawn to the characters and the story. I will definitely be adding this book to my reading list.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”