Romance & Relationship in this book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Re: Romance & Relationship in this book

Post by ciecheesemeister »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 14:09 Tom and Kelly barely had a relationship, and I found the way Steve treated Sharon repulsive. For example, shortly after meeting, there's a line that reads "Steve shoved her cute little butt." Talk about the objectification of women!
I so agree with you. I likened this book to a 1970s made-for-tv movie. Descriptions like that belong to a different era. I had to check my calendar to make sure I hadn't slipped back to the '70s! :tiphat:
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:11 How do you feel about romance and relationships in this book? Would you categorize this book as a romance novel? What relationship was the most interesting one?

I wouldn't put this book in a romance genre. Maybe suspense/action. There was hardly any romance in it. Except for Kelly and Tom being married, and the possible relationship between Sharon and Steve. Speaking of Tom and Kelly's marriage I didn't feel the connection between them. I did love the relationship Kelly had with her brother Mike. I think that was my favorite relationship in the book.
I think this author writes sibling relationships better than romantic ones. I preferred Cynthia's friendship with her brother Glenn far more than her romantic entanglements with Dan and Sky in the author's previous book (Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War) as well. :tiphat:
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I liked that there were small moments where they showed concern for each other, but overall, the book was more focused on taking down the terrorists than the romance. Honeymoon just ended up in the title because Kelly and Tom discovered the plot while on their honeymoon. I tend to think of romance novels as the meet and fall in love portion of a couple’s story but in this book, Tom and Kelly are already together. After reading Cyber War, I thought this story was going to be about Sky and Cynthia’s honeymoon until I saw it was about Tom and Kelly. I liked seeing Sky and Cynthia in this is book. I felt like they had matured and settled down since the last book but were still affectionate towards each other.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 09:12
AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:11 How do you feel about romance and relationships in this book? Would you categorize this book as a romance novel? What relationship was the most interesting one?

I wouldn't put this book in a romance genre. Maybe suspense/action. There was hardly any romance in it. Except for Kelly and Tom being married, and the possible relationship between Sharon and Steve. Speaking of Tom and Kelly's marriage I didn't feel the connection between them. I did love the relationship Kelly had with her brother Mike. I think that was my favorite relationship in the book.
I think this author writes sibling relationships better than romantic ones. I preferred Cynthia's friendship with her brother Glenn far more than her romantic entanglements with Dan and Sky in the author's previous book (Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War) as well. :tiphat:
I obviously agree. I didn't like Cythia / Dan/ Sky situation either. Brother - sister bond is done so much better.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
babcockar
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babcockar.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by babcockar »

I think it's really hard to tackle romance in a book with so much else going on, so I think I can understand why the romances in the book felt very flat.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I hadn't realized that it's the same author! The book covers do look similar now that I think about it. I'm interested to read Cyber War and compare it to EMP Honeymoon.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I'm not through all of it, but I definitely agree this doesn't seem like a romance book to me. Kelly and Tom fall flat and the Sharon/Steve subplot feels forced and cliched.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Reynaa wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 13:18

I hadn't realized that it's the same author! The book covers do look similar now that I think about it. I'm interested to read Cyber War and compare it to EMP Honeymoon.
I hope you enjoy it better than me. Let me know how did it go.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I'd put this book under cozy mystery if that category was available here. I don't think there is any benefit to delving too deeply into plot and characters as I think it was written as an easy read, like brain candy.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 19:00 It seems that we are all on the same wavelength concerning Kelly and Tom's romance--or lack of.
It certainly looks that way. I guess it was quite apparent to everyone.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that with this type of genre that author focused more on the action and less on the intimate moments of the story. This can sometimes work in the author's favor, but more often than not it is seen as a glaring omission in the story. I like that sibling bond between Kelly and Mike. I also liked to see the relationship between Steve and Sharon, but the married couple didn't seem as connected to one another.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I think books of this nature are difficult to classify, and sometimes they get pigeon-holed into a genre that may not exactly be appropriate but is the most likely to attract readers.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

This book should not be categorised as romance. Action thriller with a dash of romance is more like it. Romance between Kelly and Tom is non-existent. I like Cynthia's relationship with her assistants the best.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

The lack of romance is terrible because it always helps personalize a story. Besides, I suspect the author meant for a more romantic setting.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Clorinda Donovan wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 10:12 The lack of romance is terrible because it always helps personalize a story. Besides, I suspect the author meant for a more romantic setting.
I think so too. Otherwise why would this be in romance genre if author didn't feel like it represent it enough?!

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”