What Would You Do With This Story To Make It Into A Movie Script?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

What Would You Do With This Story To Make It Into A Movie Script?

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I have always believed that when a story is good, it should always be afforded an opportunity to introduce itself on the big screen.

So, imagine that you have been given the opportunity to turn Deadly Waters into a movie script, how would you adapt the story for the camera?

What elements would you introduce? Which themes in the story would you shrink (if any) and which ones would you shine more light on? How far would you alter the story(if you were allowed to) to make it more screen-worthy and relevant to contemporary society without taking away the core of Randy Miller's work?

Remember, your answer is your opinion, so feel free to answer however you feel.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I think this is a great topic and I cannot wait to read the replies. I have not read the book, because the topic does not interest me for hours. But I could see myself watching 90 minutes on this subject.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

vermontelf wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 10:48 I think this is a great topic and I cannot wait to read the replies. I have not read the book, because the topic does not interest me for hours. But I could see myself watching 90 minutes on this subject.
Exactly, most people are more open to visual assimilation than they are to picking up a text. So I want to see how excited people will be with this story if it was a film instead of a book.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 20:17
vermontelf wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 10:48 I think this is a great topic and I cannot wait to read the replies. I have not read the book, because the topic does not interest me for hours. But I could see myself watching 90 minutes on this subject.
Exactly, most people are more open to visual assimilation than they are to picking up a text. So I want to see how excited people will be with this story if it was a film instead of a book.
I agree! If the novel touches the reader's heart, how much more when it will be seen as a movie. The big screen is a great help to the Vets, even if not all of them were alive, at least for the sake of their children and family.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

jeminah28 wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 18:34
Jachike Samuelson wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 20:17
I agree! If the novel touches the reader's heart, how much more when it will be seen as a movie. The big screen is a great help to the Vets, even if not all of them were alive, at least for the sake of their children and family.
I totally agree
Jeremie Mondejar

One thing that came across my mind, if the VA will read this novel or watch this as a movie, what shall be their response? I am hoping, the VA will not repeat their mishaps as what the novel describes them.
Jeremie

justjim
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Trying to Save Piggy Sneed
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjim.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by justjim »

I think it would make a good movie. We could use something now to unite us. It would be very patriotic and could possibly inspire us to have more love and respect for our country
"Never memorize something that you can look up." Albert Einstein
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

Reading and visualization are two different things, people tend to relate more on words as they sink to our subconscious faster. But in movies, a lot of emphasis should be put in emotional effect for the audience to relate more, this means changing the setting to accommodate the audience. Plus, the target consumer vary between readers and movie fans hence, the content has to be doctored to each of their expectations.
Jeremie Mondejar

Browlyns wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 12:26 Reading and visualization are two different things, people tend to relate more on words as they sink to our subconscious faster. But in movies, a lot of emphasis should be put in emotional effect for the audience to relate more, this means changing the setting to accommodate the audience. Plus, the target consumer vary between readers and movie fans hence, the content has to be doctored to each of their expectations.
You have a great idea. The target audience might have different interest in picking a movie because we cannot force everyone to watch war history. At least, a movie sound cool for someone who don't like to read.
Jeremie

Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

Browlyns wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 12:26 Reading and visualization are two different things, people tend to relate more on words as they sink to our subconscious faster. But in movies, a lot of emphasis should be put in emotional effect for the audience to relate more, this means changing the setting to accommodate the audience. Plus, the target consumer vary between readers and movie fans hence, the content has to be doctored to each of their expectations.
I understand and agree with your point as per the differences between words in a book and the focus on emotional appeal in the case of a movie.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

justjim wrote: 28 Nov 2019, 08:23 I think it would make a good movie. We could use something now to unite us. It would be very patriotic and could possibly inspire us to have more love and respect for our country
I think it would make a good movie as well. Stories like these are certainly needed in the movie theaters today.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I think I would cut out some of the middle. While I thought the whole book was engaging, I did think that there was a lot of filler in the middle that really wasn't necessary. If it felt like it was dragging in print form, I can only imagine what it would be like on the screen!
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I would keep the wonderful scenery and show the contrast between a moment's peace given by nature and the horror of war via your own government.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I fully agree with your perspective, and while this tale certainly has oodles of cinematic potential, the story would indeed have to be tailored to spotlight the most emotional parts of the storyline (much like the writers have done for the ongoing war flashbacks on the tv show "This Is Us"). I would love to see a scene with those poisonous water snakes and electric eels sabotaging potential fish thieves!
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:

wordslinger42 wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 14:15 I think I would cut out some of the middle. While I thought the whole book was engaging, I did think that there was a lot of filler in the middle that really wasn't necessary. If it felt like it was dragging in print form, I can only imagine what it would be like on the screen!
Good call. I think most screenwriters and directors do that anyway. That's the only way the events that took place in a 500-page can be compressed into a 2 hour film or even less.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”