What Would You Do With This Story To Make It Into A Movie Script?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Re: What Would You Do With This Story To Make It Into A Movie Script?

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I don't care for war stories and movies, mostly because of how traumatized they make me feel afterward.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

To make this novel be more palatable for moviegoers, I presume there would be the need to pump more action into it. I conjure an imposing war epic storyline, with more battle scenes than indoor bickerings of the naval officers because, war is the selling point of this novel, more wartime hardware would be what it will need.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
anitamills293
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitamills293.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by anitamills293 »

A movie would alter a little bit the plot, there is no film based on a book that is 100% exact copied!
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

My view is that a combination of both the book and the movie visuals will go a long way. Certain audiences that don't have the necessary patience and attention span to digest a 500-page book could find the 2-hour movie adaptation of the same book worthwhile. That way, nobody will be left behind. I will equally appreciate the movie.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I think I would change the ending. Having Zach commit suicide seems to be a cowardly thing to do compared to his stoic actions all through the rest of the book. An emotional drifting away in a hospice with Tally at his side would be sure Hollywood.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

The book already reads like a movie, I don't think I would change anything, although I hear directors tweak scripts to fit particular actors' natural flow.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think this book would have been a great movie, as it is packed with action, drama, suspense, and romance.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:

I would have removed some of the romantic scenes and introduced more naval battle scenes filled with action in the movie.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:

I would also emphasize the hate between Marines and sailors, showing how they physically hurt each other, due to their fierce rivalry.
roymutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roymutuma.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by roymutuma »

This topic is so interesting, I cannot help but comment on it. I think the casting should be very meticulous. For example, I would cast the protagonist as the frail and rather weak member of the crew. However, I would be keen to help the viewers empathize with his plight and ensure the tenacious resolve of his character is not undermined.
Daniel would take the form of a 'superhero' of the film. His organization skills as described in the book are unmatched by anyone I know in real life. He gets to be the superhero.
I'd be keen too on the setting. I think keenly replicating the setting in the Vietnam War and the horrors inflicted on them by the VA once the deserving veterans come back home would make this book a blockbuster.
Those are just my thoughts. Fell free to tell me more about yours.
timur777
Currently Reading: One Bad Decision
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timur777.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by timur777 »

This book is worth to be made into a movie. I would be so happy to watch it. I think we should sign a petition to make it into a movie. Yay! :)
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

roymutuma wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 04:05 This topic is so interesting, I cannot help but comment on it. I think the casting should be very meticulous. For example, I would cast the protagonist as the frail and rather weak member of the crew. However, I would be keen to help the viewers empathize with his plight and ensure the tenacious resolve of his character is not undermined.
Daniel would take the form of a 'superhero' of the film. His organization skills as described in the book are unmatched by anyone I know in real life. He gets to be the superhero.
I'd be keen too on the setting. I think keenly replicating the setting in the Vietnam War and the horrors inflicted on them by the VA once the deserving veterans come back home would make this book a blockbuster.
Those are just my thoughts. Fell free to tell me more about yours.
[/quote

It appears you are not reviewing Deadly Waters. There is no character named Daniel in it, and the protagonist is more of an everyman than a superhero.
Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion »

I'm not making a war movie. Because I hate violence and don't want to show it. But for the last screenplay, the story needs to be changed to make it more interesting
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

While adapting a book for the big screen, I feel that it is important to maintain its integrity. As such, I would only change the pacing and tempo of the story to keep viewers hooked for an entire 90 minutes and not muh else.
MA
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

This would be a GREAT movie. I would focus on the VA story and then add a scene about our Senators in Congress and how long it took to pass the bill to help the Vets and all the times it failed in Congress. I would expand the legislative process.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”