Zack and Tally

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Zack and Tally

Post by Paige Alvarado »

What is your opinion of Zack and Tally's relationship? I am about halfway through the book and personally, I love Zack. I admire that he is able to control himself at the Acme club while his best friends indulge. I also like that they have a sort of "opposites attract" relationship based on their backgrounds. It reminds me of myself and my husband. Polar opposites, but it works somehow.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I think Tally was so sweet and the two of them together was dear. Also, she was lucky that Zach came home. So many did not.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I think their relationship was awesome. Not many male/female relationships lasted through that war. So many guys didn't come home and those who did come home changed in some way.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Making such a perfect relationship with people from different backgrounds is awesome! At least I learnt that relationship is more enjoyable when you both have a diverse background.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I also liked that Zach remained faithful to Tally alone. I liked that they wrote to each other and occasionally got to spend time together before Zach had served his time in the Navy and was able to marry Tally. I thought it was really good that Tally got her nursing degree and was able to work.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

***spoiler*** :shhh:
Their relationship was beautiful. They were truly meant to be together. I was glad Tally’s mom supported their relationship. She recognized true love. It was sweet when Zack encouraged Tally to find love again after he was gone.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

LV2R wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 22:06 I also liked that Zach remained faithful to Tally alone. I liked that they wrote to each other and occasionally got to spend time together before Zach had served his time in the Navy and was able to marry Tally. I thought it was really good that Tally got her nursing degree and was able to work.
Wasn't it nice that Zach kept Tally in the loop as far as what he experienced in his letters. The letters made me tear up.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I’m closing in on the end of the book and I have enjoyed how loyal they stayed to each other. The letters from Zach chapters were some of my favorites and I liked getting to see them together during his leave and liberty.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

B Creech wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 19:17 I think their relationship was awesome. Not many male/female relationships lasted through that war. So many guys didn't come home and those who did come home changed in some way.
I totally agree with you. She was lucky to have her man come back, being a sweet man. Unlike others who weren't so lucky.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

pshaw1414 wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 01:37 What is your opinion of Zack and Tally's relationship? I am about halfway through the book and personally, I love Zack. I admire that he is able to control himself at the Acme club while his best friends indulge. I also like that they have a sort of "opposites attract" relationship based on their backgrounds. It reminds me of myself and my husband. Polar opposites, but it works somehow.
I think their relationship was lucky to survive the war. Most importantly, they understood each other.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 14:24 I’m closing in on the end of the book and I have enjoyed how loyal they stayed to each other. The letters from Zach chapters were some of my favorites and I liked getting to see them together during his leave and liberty.
I agree! Their loyalty toward each other was one of my favorite parts of the book. They never questioned their love.
justjim
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Trying to Save Piggy Sneed
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjim.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by justjim »

I thought that writing a poignant love story using the letters from Zack and Tally was an ingenious idea. I also love that they are so different.
"Never memorize something that you can look up." Albert Einstein
Paige Alvarado

Post by Paige Alvarado »

djr6090 wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 09:57 I think Tally was so sweet and the two of them together was dear. Also, she was lucky that Zach came home. So many did not.
I agree. Were you confused by how much time seemed to pass from the time Zack got sick? One moment, he's telling her to move on and remarry cause she's still young. And then she's fifty-five mourning the loss?
Paige Alvarado

Post by Paige Alvarado »

B Creech wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 19:17 I think their relationship was awesome. Not many male/female relationships lasted through that war. So many guys didn't come home and those who did come home changed in some way.
B,

I couldn't agree more. Both of my grandfathers served in Vietnam. While both came home, one returned poisoned by Agent Orange. Both marriages lasted until death, thankfully.
Paige Alvarado

Post by Paige Alvarado »

Julius_ wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 03:26 Making such a perfect relationship with people from different backgrounds is awesome! At least I learnt that relationship is more enjoyable when you both have a diverse background.
You're right! You learn so much from people with different backgrounds. It can be really funny to spot the differences.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”