Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
gaily13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaily13.html
Latest Review: Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez

Re: Did this book change your views on the Vietnam war?

Post by gaily13 »

This did not change my views much because my grandfather served during Vietnam and I knew a lot of the things that surprise other people from him. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Every time i read a book or even watch a movie based on a war, i get a little traumatized. I don't think i will ever understand why it's necessary. But i also have great admiration for the people who have been through it.. I don't think i could ever be that brave..
melzim25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melzim25.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by melzim25 »

The Vietnam Conflict, no war was actually declared, is a very sad part of our Country's history. Because we were obligated by the SEATO treaty, we had to assist. However, the micromanaging of the combat from the White House and the greed and obvious bias of the print and TV media, doomed it from the start. LBJ was petrified of adverse public feelings and the possibility of drawing China i8nto the conflict just it had in Korea. Had our commanders been left to fight the conflict the way it needed to be fought, we would have come out of the situation, if not with a victory, at east we could hold our heads up. No military confict is a good thing, however, neither is placating an enemy. Look at what Chamberlain got for ptrying to appease Hitler, Worl War Two.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

The Vietnam War was a very tragic time, and I have a lot of family members in the military so this book didn't surprise me very much. I had already heard a lot of stories.
randy6175
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by randy6175 »

melzim25 wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 14:33 The Vietnam Conflict, no war was actually declared, is a very sad part of our Country's history. Because we were obligated by the SEATO treaty, we had to assist. However, the micromanaging of the combat from the White House and the greed and obvious bias of the print and TV media, doomed it from the start. LBJ was petrified of adverse public feelings and the possibility of drawing China i8nto the conflict just it had in Korea. Had our commanders been left to fight the conflict the way it needed to be fought, we would have come out of the situation, if not with a victory, at east we could hold our heads up. No military confict is a good thing, however, neither is placating an enemy. Look at what Chamberlain got for ptrying to appease Hitler, Worl War Two.
I hear you loud and clear.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Honestly, I didn't know a thing about Vietnam war. It was informative for me. Getting to know what went on during that period.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Karina Nowak wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 21:24 I haven't read the book yet but I don't think people in this day and age can understand the 'why' behind any war, ever. Sure we understood how it started, what people hoped to gain by undertaking it, but the worth of it? No. It is unnecessary and outdated.

I haven't read the book either, and I agree with you. Young and inexperienced as I am on the topic of wars (and I really hope to remain inexperienced), I still see the aftermath of the Civil War in my own country. The worth of any war is something I might never understand.
Gacau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gacau.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Gacau »

I only used to hear about this war as rumours but I never had a grasp of what happened and also what happens during these kind of wars. The sad reality is that there is much pain which was accompanied by this war. I like the detailed review. I'll make an effort to read whole of it.
hmorgan90
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorgan90.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by hmorgan90 »

For me, this book didn't change my view too much. It did open my eyes to the more recent things that have happened to these vets. I was confused about what that one marine was singled out for a side story but as I read the author's note, I saw the need to add a name and face for a villain. Like was stated, we don't know what happened behind those closed doors. Yes, there are a lot of vets but that doesn't mean that we cut off funds for any of them. It's so sad that this is a political issue. It sheds light on the broken system.
May we show increased kindness toward one another. ~Thomas S. Monson
:animals-frog:
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

While reading this story, I also wondered how many wars US has been involved in,price and prize summons commitment, diversity of races, hardwork and love. While in training among the unskilled, only wisdom will get an individual to win a good position in the army and the needed appreciation.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herbstlicht.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Herbstlicht »

melzim25 wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 14:33 The Vietnam Conflict, no war was actually declared, is a very sad part of our Country's history. Because we were obligated by the SEATO treaty, we had to assist. However, the micromanaging of the combat from the White House and the greed and obvious bias of the print and TV media, doomed it from the start. LBJ was petrified of adverse public feelings and the possibility of drawing China i8nto the conflict just it had in Korea. Had our commanders been left to fight the conflict the way it needed to be fought, we would have come out of the situation, if not with a victory, at east we could hold our heads up. No military confict is a good thing, however, neither is placating an enemy. Look at what Chamberlain got for ptrying to appease Hitler, Worl War Two.
I agree. It's very shameful.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:

Post by Herbstlicht »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 08:18 I'm not sure that there's much left to say about the Vietnam War. Over the there have been countless books, films, and documentaries covering the subject from every conceivable angle. I think it must be hard for an author trying to find something new to say about it.
You think so? I believe most people think the author did uncover some new information. Unfortunately this information doesn't mean that the war made sense whatsoever.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:

Post by Herbstlicht »

Abacus wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 16:25 History will tell a different story about war when we have learned to avoid it. The war should be waged against the leaders not the young men of the country.
Well put 8)
Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion »

My view of the Vietnam War has not changed.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I didn't know anything about this war at all, coming from South Africa, it wasn't apart of our curriculum so I only know what I see in the movies. This was the first time I read about the Vietnam war and it started my interest in learning more about the WHY????? :geek2: :o :eusa-think:

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”