Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2019 Book of the month, "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath", by Randy Miller.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Re: Favorite and least favorite parts of the book?

Post by Twylla »

Viet Nam vets ad PTSD before we even knew what it was. And so many didn't receive help. The way the VA treated the men was definitely my least favorite part of the book!
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

The storyline was great, but what I didn't like about the book was the author trying to take out profanities from military life, maybe in a bid to access broader base of readers but that, to me, took the life out from their conversations.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

djr6090 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 08:40 I liked that the author could show the action on board the Navy vessels without using profanity. As I recall, the language of the day was sprinkled liberally with vulgarities. The interaction and the accents animated the actors. I also liked that he showed the perspective of the enemy occasionally. But I disliked the scene where Zach watched the village being incinerated by Naval bombardment. But my least favorite part were in the parts of the book where we are reminded of the extent of the American chemical warfare against the Vietnamese.
Thanks for this comment. I have to agree with you on this one.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

B Creech wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 13:36 Having lived during the time of the Viet Nam War sometimes it is hard for me to separate actual facts from the book! I saw Viet Nam vets come home, many of them broken in body and spirit. I can say my least favorite part of the book was the way the characters were treated by the VA - it was a reality for those I knew and cared about that had served this country during such a terrible time. I know my ex-husband and his brother would not go to the VA for healthcare in later years because they were not treated right during their military terms. I also remember seeing homeless Viet Nam vets riding around our little town in Ohio in wheelchairs with American flags on their chairs and most people would walk past them without even nodding their heads or smiling at them! They were homeless because they were denied their benefits even though they were in wheelchairs due to being injured in the war. Yes, the way the VA treated them in the book was definitely my least favorite part!
I gree with you, good point.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I realy loved the way the author took out time to explain military terms. The way the veterans were treated by the Veterans Affairs Department when they returned home was the part I detested the most.

Return to “Discuss "Deadly Waters" by Randy Miller”