Aborigine siblings

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Re: Aborigine siblings

Post by MsH2k »

Their relationship was one of the things I liked most about the book. I loved it when she called him “bikpela brother.” It was also funny when Jacko asked her if there were cockatoos in the Malayan jungle when she used their familiar bird call to notify him. I Googled it - there aren’t. :D
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

DC Brown wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 07:51
Howlan wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 03:47 I really adored the relationship between Jacko and Sarah. Their bonding, Jacko's concern and pride over his sister Sarah, and also the way Sarah called Jacko "bikpela brother" was adorable. What are your thoughts on these two?
I enjoyed the family closeness as well. I didn't understand the aboriginal sayings, but the affection was evident anyway!
I agree I didnt really get what bikpela meant (I'm assuming her way of saying big brother?). But you could tell Jacko was protective of his sister, but 100% trusted her abilities to fend for herself as well. I never really gathered how old she was though - I never got a true sense of age from her.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Amina Yusuf wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 13:00 I have to say Jacko and Sarah have a special bond, even though they shared one parent, their relationship is unique. I actually envy them. :tiphat:
I haven't read the other two books in the series, so I wonder when they met/found out about one another? I cant imagine they grew up together what with their separate backgrounds and dialects
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

hmorales2 wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 15:03 I am enjoying reading this book by far. I do like that the author emphasizes on the relationship between Sarah and Jacko and how their differences mean nothing between their bond. They don't see color, class or skills,they see each other and how they can each compliment the other to support one another. If only the world could grasp this concept.
They do both work really well together despite their differences. It also Makes you wonder who taught each how to track
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Katie Canedy wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 22:12 I absolutely love the family closeness! I wish that more sibling relationships were like Jacko and Sarah's honestly. Even though they are adults, the relationship that they have is like little kids. :)
And the way Sarah reacted to situations and spoke of things it really makes you wonder how old she is. I know at the end jacko didnt want her dancing with a n because she was "too young". They mentioned she didnt even know how old she was.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

naomisorge wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 13:57 Does anyone know exactly what bikpela means? Google didn't give me much joy!

I also like how Jacko has respect for Sarah's skills. I just read a scene where someone suggested that she should stay home where it was safe, and Jacko said something like "we're safer with her." I feel like that might not have been too common back in those times.
I have no idea, but I read it as her broken English way of saying big brother, although I think it's safe to assume it's probably an aborigine word?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Falconcrest wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 18:53 Oh yes, that was very enjoyable and am sure a lot of people will identify with that bond. Jacko was highly protective of his sister Sarah when there was a very dangerous task he would tell her to hold back. Though sometimes he really trusted his sister's skills so much he allowed her to lead them in the wilderness.
He even admits shes a better tracker he is!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Aknotts19 wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 05:31 Jacko and Sarah felt very authentic. My first thought was that I thought it was unusual that Jacko would put his sister in danger; however, my feminism kicked in and I could appreciate how he empowered her.
I think sarah would be offended if he didnt let her come
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Noosh wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 23:13 They sure made a good team. And I loved their unbelievably good skills.
I just wish their skills would have been examined a little more. Each of their situations felt too easy - like everything just fell in place for them
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Kelyn wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 00:32
briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 02:54
naomisorge wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 13:57 Does anyone know exactly what bikpela means? Google didn't give me much joy!

I also like how Jacko has respect for Sarah's skills. I just read a scene where someone suggested that she should stay home where it was safe, and Jacko said something like "we're safer with her." I feel like that might not have been too common back in those times.
Bikpela means big. If she calls him that, I think it meant big brother. But im not sure as well. :eusa-think:

I agree! I liked that scene as well as it shows how Jacko values her skills more than his.
It also means "master" or "lord" but unless it was sarcasm or she was teasing him, I really can't see Sarah calling him that!!
Interesting! I could see sarah telling him with it, but I do think she just meant big
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

briellejee wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 03:03
Kelyn wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 00:32
briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 02:54

Bikpela means big. If she calls him that, I think it meant big brother. But im not sure as well. :eusa-think:

I agree! I liked that scene as well as it shows how Jacko values her skills more than his.
It also means "master" or "lord" but unless it was sarcasm or she was teasing him, I really can't see Sarah calling him that!!
What language would it be? Warammunga or Malay? Seeing how they tease each other, I would go for sarcasm.
I would guess Sarah's tongue (warramunga) since they were just visiting KL
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 13:37 I enjoyed their relationship with one another. I do wish Sarah would have been able to have more independence, but considering the time period the book is set in, she probably had more than would have been realistic.
I think she was quite independent, yet realistically dependent on jacko. I mean if I was traveling abroad on a dangerous mission and didnt speak fluently in that country I would probably stay close to the ones I was with too!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

MsH2k wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 17:56 Their relationship was one of the things I liked most about the book. I loved it when she called him “bikpela brother.” It was also funny when Jacko asked her if there were cockatoos in the Malayan jungle when she used their familiar bird call to notify him. I Googled it - there aren’t. :D
Yes that was quite funny! And the bandits were still none the wiser!
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 20:45
Noosh wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 23:13 They sure made a good team. And I loved their unbelievably good skills.
I just wish their skills would have been examined a little more. Each of their situations felt too easy - like everything just fell in place for them
Yup, I agree. I did say it somewhere: everything happened too smoothly in the book.

But having those skills is awesome anyway :D
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 20:32
DC Brown wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 07:51
Howlan wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 03:47 I really adored the relationship between Jacko and Sarah. Their bonding, Jacko's concern and pride over his sister Sarah, and also the way Sarah called Jacko "bikpela brother" was adorable. What are your thoughts on these two?
I enjoyed the family closeness as well. I didn't understand the aboriginal sayings, but the affection was evident anyway!
I agree I didnt really get what bikpela meant (I'm assuming her way of saying big brother?). But you could tell Jacko was protective of his sister, but 100% trusted her abilities to fend for herself as well. I never really gathered how old she was though - I never got a true sense of age from her.
That’s true. The way she interacted with the other women I just assumed she was of similar age!

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”