Malayan phrases

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Hannalore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannalore.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Re: Malayan phrases

Post by Hannalore »

My favourite was Singa Melayu" ( Malayan Lion). Maybe because I love animals and the word sounds poetic.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

I don't really have a favorite phrase from the book. Harimau was easiest for me to remember because it sounds like "hairy mouth." LOL The one I made a point to try and remember, though, was termia kasih. As someone who has traveled to and lived in countries where I didn't at first speak the language, learning how to say "thank you" always tops my list. :) It's amazing what you can communicate with a smile, a "thank you," and a charade! :D
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I find this very refreshing and relatable. I like learning little bit of othe language phrases through a story because it helps me remember it for a long time.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I loved Terima Kasih which is a Malayan phrase for thank you. However, I found all the other phrases beautiful in pronunciation.
Ivana Komel
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-komel.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ivana Komel »

I loved Terima kasih for thank you, especially when the phase was said to Temiar village people. Even now I can literary picture their smiles and laughter.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

My favorite Malayan phrases were "Terima kasih"(thank you), "Selamat pagi"(good morning), and ‘Selamat petang’ (good afternoon). Also, I liked the inclusion of Aboriginal words! They made the story more entertaining and believable!  
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

My favorite is terima kasih meaning 'thank you'
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I was fascinated by the Malayan phrases and found that it really boosted my enjoyment of the book. The Malayan phrases are similar to Filipino phrases. ”Selamat” (Malayan for good) is similar to the Cebuano word ”Salamat” (which means thank you). I am the first to admit the I’m a linguistics geek and these little touches the author added made the book all that more fun for me to read.
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

The Malayan language sounds like on of my country's major dialects. I love the greetings, Selamat seems to mean good. When associated with the time of day, it sounds pleasant. Definitely, I loved the dialect.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Aditi Sapate wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 03:16 My favourite would be 'Selamat Petang' for good afternoon. Although, 'singa melayu' would be a close second. I love learning little snippets of a language through a book. :)
I'm also a sucker for learning languages through books, or cultural specifics. It makes me feel like, aside from a good story, I took away something more from this book. These little Malayan phrases are totally worth reading and taking note of! :)
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

nicole-adrianne wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 06:17 How intriguing! These phrases sound very similar to Indonesian phrases as well. So much of a culture shines through in a language, I'm happy that these lines were included! :)
What's even cooler, is that in South Africa, where we have a history with Malaysia and Indonesia, we still use some Malay and Indonesian words. When someone travels, we say: salamat travels. Our use of the language is very adapted though (because of all the not so pretty infiltrates). So I love reading content where this connection is made clear.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Laura Lee wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 17:04 I don't really have a favorite phrase from the book. Harimau was easiest for me to remember because it sounds like "hairy mouth." LOL The one I made a point to try and remember, though, was termia kasih. As someone who has traveled to and lived in countries where I didn't at first speak the language, learning how to say "thank you" always tops my list. :) It's amazing what you can communicate with a smile, a "thank you," and a charade! :D
In South Africa, the people of the Cape Malay culture still say that. But we pronounce it like ''tramat kassi.'' :D
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

WardahEbrahim wrote: 02 May 2020, 06:06
Laura Lee wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 17:04 I don't really have a favorite phrase from the book. Harimau was easiest for me to remember because it sounds like "hairy mouth." LOL The one I made a point to try and remember, though, was termia kasih. As someone who has traveled to and lived in countries where I didn't at first speak the language, learning how to say "thank you" always tops my list. :) It's amazing what you can communicate with a smile, a "thank you," and a charade! :D
In South Africa, the people of the Cape Malay culture still say that. But we pronounce it like ''tramat kassi.'' :D
Good to know! Thanks! :D
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

There are words with similar meaning in our language.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

One of the reason why book reading is a great habit because little knowledge nuggets like these get stored in the memory and can be used while visiting another country :)

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”