What do you think about the ending? (warning possible spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: What do you think about the ending? (warning possible spoilers)

Post by kdstrack »

The wedding was a good way to end the story. I didn't like that the author decided to change the setting back to Australia. This takes for granted that the readers are familiar with this previous setting. I would have liked an exotic wedding in Singapore and then just a reference to a second ceremony in Darwin, Australia.
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mcdonaldchola »

I like the way Greg Kater ends his novels, without leaving the reader bitter. The guys (Jamie and group) had a mission to accomplish, which they did.This novel was no exception.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Samantha Shinn wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 03:36 The ending was a bit odd for me compared to how much action was in the book, but I am pleased about Jacko getting a happy ending. However, with the fact that they didn't capture all of the bandits, I was hoping there would be an action-packed scene at the wedding. What do you guys think about the ending? What were you envisioning to happen?
The ending was anticlimactic and boring. I was dissappointed
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

mcdonaldchola wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 13:17 I like the way Greg Kater ends his novels, without leaving the reader bitter. The guys (Jamie and group) had a mission to accomplish, which they did.This novel was no exception.
But was so boring and unnecessary. It reminded me of the ending in an old film or somethinf
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:43 The wedding was a good way to end the story. I didn't like that the author decided to change the setting back to Australia. This takes for granted that the readers are familiar with this previous setting. I would have liked an exotic wedding in Singapore and then just a reference to a second ceremony in Darwin, Australia.
I dont think the location truly mattered but it was a bit of an out of place ending in my opinion
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 13:10
briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 02:41
Falconcrest wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 19:07 Yes, definitely the ending was a bit cliched for me. "And they lived happily ever after". Not really what I expected there was something unquestionably missing.
Since it is the third book in the series, I guess it is already good enough. But you'll consider it as a standalone book, then, of course, it would have been cliche. :tiphat:
That's definitely true . If it would have been the first or second books in the series then I would be looking for a major cliffhanger or else some thing that could excite me for the upcoming book in the series.
Idk if I would have likes a cliffhanger get or not, but I was dissappointed in the ending as is.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 01:06
Samantha Shinn wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 03:36 The ending was a bit odd for me compared to how much action was in the book, but I am pleased about Jacko getting a happy ending. However, with the fact that they didn't capture all of the bandits, I was hoping there would be an action-packed scene at the wedding. What do you guys think about the ending? What were you envisioning to happen?
I don't have any issue with the ending. I think the author intended to end the series here. So it's best not to make readers expect more.
But it just seemed too...wrap it up and tie it in a perfect little bow...slot of ending
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

mcdonaldchola wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 13:17 I like the way Greg Kater ends his novels, without leaving the reader bitter. The guys (Jamie and group) had a mission to accomplish, which they did.This novel was no exception.
I agree with you about the author ending his stories flawlessly. I've read books that are amazing as well but the endings leave me questioning about life overall and how people can be so cruel. I guess his books make me believe that hope is not gone.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:43 The wedding was a good way to end the story. I didn't like that the author decided to change the setting back to Australia. This takes for granted that the readers are familiar with this previous setting. I would have liked an exotic wedding in Singapore and then just a reference to a second ceremony in Darwin, Australia.
But I think having the ceremony in Australia allowed readers to see a glimpse of what their ordinary lives are. Having an exotic wedding may not have been romantic to the couple, and seeing their personalities, I don't think they would want that.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Samantha Shinn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-shinn.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Samantha Shinn »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:47
Howlan wrote: 20 Oct 2019, 13:10
briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 02:41

Since it is the third book in the series, I guess it is already good enough. But you'll consider it as a standalone book, then, of course, it would have been cliche. :tiphat:
That's definitely true . If it would have been the first or second books in the series then I would be looking for a major cliffhanger or else some thing that could excite me for the upcoming book in the series.
Idk if I would have likes a cliffhanger get or not, but I was dissappointed in the ending as is.
I agree. I do not think it needed a cliffhanger, but it definitely needed something with a little oomph. The ending was quite boring.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I liked the ending. It was nice that after all of the action and stress about his safety that Monique and Jacko were able to have their special day. I think this would have seemed like an even better ending if I had read the rest of the trilogy.
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

I kept on wondering what happened to Fukuda. Also I had expected some more trouble at the end in Singapore
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

Ending was good enough. It felt a little cliched, but Jacko getting a happy ending was good.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

Actually, I was satisfied with the ending. The story was full of action, and I was glad the author chose to end the story by celebrating Jacko and Monique's wedding. :romance-hearteyes: :romance-heartsthree:
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I loved the way the book ended. A wedding is always a great way to end a book!

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”