Unusual Topics in Historical Fiction

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Unusual Topics in Historical Fiction

Post by Karina Nowak »

ViziVoir wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 15:59 Personally, I love it when authors bring their niche experiences or passions into their books. It gives them a bit of flavor and can make the stories feel that much more realistic.
I appreciate this as well. Technically it's still a war story which is a reused theme since the beginning of time, but this new perspective piques the reader's interest.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

DC Brown wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 22:16 I appreciate how Kater weaves historical facts throughout his books. I've read the other two as well and have learned much about the aborigines, WWII, and its effect on lands unknown to me. I begin to wonder if he was there?
As a matter of fact, the author travels to these lands to get their history. For his fourth book, he traveled to China for it so I think he also did for the other three. Kater is also a good researcher on history.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Gathoni1991 wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 14:40 When you hear about post WWII your mind quickly goes to Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan
It is refreshing to read about other places that were affected by the war.
Guilty of this! These impacts on other countries may be small for the whole world but is actually big enough for the country itself. Glad that the author was able to bring us these information through a wonderful story!
lolaboopinky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by lolaboopinky »

I genuinely didn't even know that Malaysia had been involved in WWII! This book really opened my eyes to the fact that so many more people were affected than just the ones that always seem to be in the history books. Greg Kater did an amazing job writing about this topic and I'm now on a mission to find more books about the lesser-known parts of WWII.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

That sounds like a very unique setting and time frame.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I think well researched fiction is an excellent way for people to learn about different regions and historic events. My attention always lasts longer when I have a person/character I am invested in.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

In today's relatively peaceful world it's through books only that we come to know the actual uneasiness and fear that people felt at that time. The resoluteness and quick thinking that the author portrays through its characters is what I look forward to most in a historical fiction.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Before reading this book I had not thought of Malaysia’s part in World War II. But given it’s location in the world it makes sense that it would have been affected by this war.

So much has been written about World War II, but this one was new for me. What stays with me is how the Tamiar man helped Johnny when he got the rash and then helped Jamie, Jacko and Sarah to rescue Johnny.

Many people in so many other countries around the world did their part to show human kindness during and after the war. They risked their lives, not knowing the exact outcome of their efforts. They were normal people doing heroic things in the name of what was right.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

Howlan wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 03:06 The book touches a bit on the Malayan history and the formation of the Malayan Union and it was quite refreshing as you don't get such details of Malayan history normally.
I agree! Malaysia doesn't get much attention compared to its more touristy neighbors. I had heard about Japanese soldiers lost in the jungles of Southeast Asia, but this book really brought that to life for me. I thought it was interesting that the villains were a combination of German, Japanese, and Chinese Malay men.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

naomisorge wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 13:39
Howlan wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 03:06 The book touches a bit on the Malayan history and the formation of the Malayan Union and it was quite refreshing as you don't get such details of Malayan history normally.
I agree! Malaysia doesn't get much attention compared to its more touristy neighbors. I had heard about Japanese soldiers lost in the jungles of Southeast Asia, but this book really brought that to life for me. I thought it was interesting that the villains were a combination of German, Japanese, and Chinese Malay men.
Yes the author has really put a lot of effort in researching the post world war story and presententing us with great settings. The earlier books in the series also have meaningful post WWII
references which are a delight to read.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

I think it's always good to learn about different cultures and countries even if we think it won't be applicable. It's dangerous when we get stuck in our own thoughts and way of thinking.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I like that it was set in Malaysia because I've never realized that the country was part of WW2 or even given much thought to what the rest of Asia besides Japan was doing at the time.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

Honestly, I had never heard of this area being contested in WWII or after, although it makes sense in hindsight. I am glad that I was able to learn a bit about the conflict there through reading this book. I wish I had been able to learn more about the indigenous communities living in the jungle there, but I realize that the information may not be available for the author to have made an accurate portrayal.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 07:29 I like that it was set in Malaysia because I've never realized that the country was part of WW2 or even given much thought to what the rest of Asia besides Japan was doing at the time.
Same here. Japan and my country is the first thing that comes to my mind.
babcockar
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babcockar.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by babcockar »

I think it's really interesting when historical fiction takes place in a time that isn't really written about in western literature. I have read many books about Europe and American during WWII, but I think it is really interesting to see something that takes place at the same time but in a very different place.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”