Unusual Topics in Historical Fiction

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Re: Unusual Topics in Historical Fiction

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Hester3 wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 02:16 I also did not know that Malaysia was involved in WWII, but I love to read books about time periods that I am unfamiliar with, especially when the books are well researched and historically correct.
I agree completely. This kind of fiction usually motivates me to go out and do my own research too! I love reading this thread and seeing the extra facts our community has discovered about Malaysia and WWII :)
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

This is the beauty of Historical fiction books, they bring new information and past in a fictious way. I didn't even know Malaysia was involved in WW2
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

When you hear about post WWII your mind quickly goes to Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan
It is refreshing to read about other places that were affected by the war.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

AntoineOMEGA wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 08:46 This Novel is really unique because I had no clue Malaysia was part of WW2.
I agree. I have sometimes wondered why a war that only involved the western world countries was called a World War. More and more, I am realizing my social studies did not give me the full scope of the war. There were many atrocities committed by and against many different countries. This series woke me up to many countries involved in WWII for a variety of reasons that I had never heard about. So for that, I thank Greg Kater.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

djr6090 wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 10:30 I didn't realize that Malaysia was part of World War II. It does make sense though, as the Japanese were dedicated to subduing the whole Pacific.
Yes, me too. This book really provided another fresh perspective of the WWII that i somehow knew but never thought about much. Thanks to this book, I did some research on Malayan history which was cool. I really appreciate historical events and I'm glad the book gave me one.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

LinaMueller wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 18:10 I didn't know anything about the Japanese Kempeitai before reading this book. Greg Kater seems to know a lot about history.
Yes, I had to look that one up. There are a lot of horror stories about the Kempeitai, the Japanese SS. No wonder Japan allied with Germany during WWII. The philosophies had so much in common. I wonder if thoughtless loyalty has always lead to repression.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I love learning about historical times and places I know very little about. Learning about post-WWII Malaysia was incredibly interesting.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

djr6090 wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 10:30 I didn't realize that Malaysia was part of World War II. It does make sense though, as the Japanese were dedicated to subduing the whole Pacific.
Yes, that's really interesting!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I didn’t realize that Malaysia played a role in WWII. How exciting, the role that books can play in widening one’s perspective and knowledge!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This is, perhaps, my favorite thing about the whole Warramunga series. I can say I've read a lot about WWII. It's a historical period that causes me both heartache and fascination. But, of course, most of the books are focused on what was happening in Europe or are Holocaust survivor memoirs. This is, obviously, very very important and we should never forget the horrible struggle these people suffered, but it's very interesting to learn how things developed in other parts of the world that are often overlooked when we discuss this time period.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

I didn't even know that Malaysia was apart of the second World War. It does make sense given Japan's motives at the time which extended to all Asian countries not just the popular ones in movies, like China. However, I never knew any details about Malaysia's specific struggle during and after the war which this book brings to light.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

ab2020 wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 14:02 This book brings to life an era and a place not often written about. What did you think of this? What did you learn about post-WWII Malaysia, and what else would you like to know?
I agree about the setting not being often talked about. I've read and heard about stories and countries after WWII, but I never did know about Malaysia's status back then and their plight. This book has shed some amazing light on the culture and the history of the place. I think I would like to know more about the natives' experiences and stories during the WWII and even postwar. I think it would be interesting! :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

ab2020 wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 14:02 This book brings to life an era and a place not often written about. What did you think of this? What did you learn about post-WWII Malaysia, and what else would you like to know?
The era and place makes the story more real and intriguing. The story seems flawless to me. I enjoyed the dynamics.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Karina Nowak wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 10:38 I didn't even know that Malaysia was apart of the second World War. It does make sense given Japan's motives at the time which extended to all Asian countries not just the popular ones in movies, like China. However, I never knew any details about Malaysia's specific struggle during and after the war which this book brings to light.
Yes same here. This book was really a great learning experience about Malaysia's history. I really appreciate the author for doing his research as it was interesting and I really enjoyed researching fore about Malaysia's post WWII condition.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Personally, I love it when authors bring their niche experiences or passions into their books. It gives them a bit of flavor and can make the stories feel that much more realistic.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”