Role of Race

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Role of Race

Post by CommMayo »

Due to the time period in which the books are set, race plays a very large role throughout the Warramunga series. Do you think that racial issues were properly represented based on the time period or was the treatment of race (like uses of terms like "half-caste" and "lubra") too distracting for a modern audience?
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

No. It isn't too distracting for the modern audience. And one must note that although racial issues were very common at that time, it hasn't ceased. Not hearing it been mentioned all the time doesn't necessarily mean it no longer exists.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 06:39 No. It isn't too distracting for the modern audience. And one must note that although racial issues were very common at that time, it hasn't ceased. Not hearing it been mentioned all the time doesn't necessarily mean it no longer exists.
I have to admit, there is so much truth to what you've said.
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

:D Thanks
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

I agree back then, race was a big issue and the treatment of others was more acceptable. But in today’s society racism is still strong. People just make it appear differently. It’s a different time and a different way of showing it.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

There’s a certain authenticity that is created in a period novel when names or words peculiar to that era are used in the writing. Sometimes when it comes to racial language, it can be a bit shocking that people would use such ‘politically incorrect’ jargon. But that was the reality in that time period and the writer needs that authenticity.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

Only1Cola wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:22 There’s a certain authenticity that is created in a period novel when names or words peculiar to that era are used in the writing. Sometimes when it comes to racial language, it can be a bit shocking that people would use such ‘politically incorrect’ jargon. But that was the reality in that time period and the writer needs that authenticity.
I actually came here to say this exact same thing!
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

There is a certain authenticity that is needed in a book like this and if the word was used then and the writer puts it in their work, as a reader I would understand that this was a different time. The author isn't okay with it. They are just replicating the 'accepted' speech of the time period.

It's like writing a book about slavery in America and not letting any of the slave masters use the word '******' because it is taboo or frowned upon today. It may be jarring for us now, but it was how they spoke back then.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

While this may be a sensitve thing to talk about, I am not a fan of striving for authenticity for its own sake. There are a lot of creative ways to express the issue of race in a novel.
-rk
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

cindyr2416 wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 08:24 I agree back then, race was a big issue and the treatment of others was more acceptable. But in today’s society racism is still strong. People just make it appear differently. It’s a different time and a different way of showing it.
I think that's right. We've become, as a society, a bit more sophisticated in how we talk about things, but in a lot of cases it's a superficial improvement only.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I think it's very important to depict the past as it was. But it's also important to bear in mind the changing times and what is considered proper in this day and age. I think better words could have been used but I understand why some of the words that were used were used.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 06:39 No. It isn't too distracting for the modern audience. And one must note that although racial issues were very common at that time, it hasn't ceased. Not hearing it been mentioned all the time doesn't necessarily mean it no longer exists.
Am afraid I have to agree with you. Though the terms used might have been "old-school", still, people understand the terms like half-cast etc.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

What happened then cannot be compared to what is happening now. Remember South Africa and its problem of racism in the past. Today, if it still exists, it must be underground and not as it was in those days. In our modern society, racism is not very well pronounced.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I think people still understand those terminologies even in this modern era. It is not distracting in any way. In any case, the author needed to use the terms used in the period in which the book was set. It did not distract me in any way.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

I think it is important to represent issues of race in literature. Although you might not hear these specific terms levied against this specific culture today, race issues prevail worldwide and by seeing them included in literature, we are reminded as readers that even though we have a come a long way, there is still a lot to learn.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”