Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Post by CommMayo »

Despite being third in a series, some reviewers have said that Skills of the Warramunga could be read as a stand alone book, while other reviewers expressed some confusion because they didn't read the first two books.

Personally, I have a hard time not reading a series in order. What important details does a reader need to know if they are picking this book up without reading the two prior books in the series? Or would you say that this is truly a stand alone novel?
Neha++
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Neha++ »

For any series, there should be sufficient flashback to understand role of any characters. Also some events from previous books should be explained in short, if these things are included, surely that book will stand alone.
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

I am a stickler for reading from the first book of a series through the others in order. I agree that knowledge of flashbacks and history of previous books is important to fully understand what’s been going on.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

When I start a series out of order, I often find myself stopping mid-read and going to look for the first book. So going out of order never works for me. Thanks for the heads up!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

If I know there are other books in a series, I have to start with the first one. Same with tv box sets, I have to go to the first season and start there. I don't do stand alones :)
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I doubt I will enjoy reading the third book first even if it's a standalone; I won't be able to shake off the feeling that I 'm missing some details.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I don't mind starting a series in the middle, but if it's one I end up liking, it's not unusual for me to go back and read the others. I think it's difficult for a book in a series to truly be a 'standalone' if any part is based on something that happened in a previous book. With this one, even in the sample, there were references to events that obviously had occurred in earlier books.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:55 I doubt I will enjoy reading the third book first even if it's a standalone; I won't be able to shake off the feeling that I 'm missing some details.
I agree. If the book is part of a series, then surely the author used ideas from the previous books to make the third book. But in order to know what ideas the author used, one must read the previous books.
-rk
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Jyockel08 wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 11:31 When I start a series out of order, I often find myself stopping mid-read and going to look for the first book. So going out of order never works for me. Thanks for the heads up!
Same here, actually. I'm in favor of reading the books in order. Certainly works better for me.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The reviewer said that this book could be read as a standalone book in the series and after reading and reviewing this book too, I find that I agree completely.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I am reading the book as a standalone, but I think had I have read the previous books I would have had a greater understanding of each of the characters. I would have liked to have had more in-depth knowledge of Jamie and Jacko's characters.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

raikyuu wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 19:44
Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:55 I doubt I will enjoy reading the third book first even if it's a standalone; I won't be able to shake off the feeling that I 'm missing some details.
I agree. If the book is part of a series, then surely the author used ideas from the previous books to make the third book. But in order to know what ideas the author used, one must read the previous books.
I kind of feel ripped off by series books. I always feel that the author is just picking up some subplots of earlier works and passing them off as new. But if I know a book is a series starter, I usually avoid it. The exception is authors that I truly love.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

djr6090 wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 09:47 I kind of feel ripped off by series books. I always feel that the author is just picking up some subplots of earlier works and passing them off as new. But if I know a book is a series starter, I usually avoid it. The exception is authors that I truly love.
This is interesting because I am the opposite. I seek out books that are the beginning of a series, especially audiobooks. I love it when I can find a long series that I really enjoy because I know that if I enjoy the first book, there are more more that follow. What I don't like is when you get an unexpected cliffhanger. I've read a few authors who do that for no reason other than selling more books.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 14:09 If I know there are other books in a series, I have to start with the first one. Same with tv box sets, I have to go to the first season and start there. I don't do stand alones :)
I agree with you. I would have done the same
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I am one of the reviewers who recommended it as a stand-alone book. Having not read the others, I felt the author did an excellent job of providing necessary background information in the story. Having said that, now that I have read one in the series, I would like to eventually read the others.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”