Favorite character in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
mcdonaldchola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonaldchola.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Favorite character in the story?

Post by mcdonaldchola »

My favorite characters are Jacko and his young sister Sarah. Their combined tracking skills are second to none. The setting of the book would not be complete without the two.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 00:00 The book has a lot of diverse characters with unique skill sets and personalities, from Jack O'brien, Jamie Munro, Sarah, Pieter de Groote, to Johnny Cook. Who was your favorite character in the story?

For me, Colonel Johnny Cook was my favorite character. Despite getting kidnapped into the Malay jungle, he had this poise and adaptability that made me forget more than one that he was being held against his wishes. I enjoyed his perspective throughout the book and how easy he made friends.
What about you?
I really liked Sarah's character, although she seemed a bit unnecessary to the plot. I wish she had more opportunity to shine!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

diana lowery wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 11:23 I haven't finished the book, and I didn't read the earlier novels, but so far I am impressed with Johnny. I admire that he utilized his time to learn the language to prevent boredom.
I am impressed with this part where Johnny learns the language because he is bored. It also showed that he is a quick learner. I guess when you're just waiting for the captors to kill you, learning another language would take your mind off of it.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Washboard wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 13:14
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 00:00 The book has a lot of diverse characters with unique skill sets and personalities, from Jack O'brien, Jamie Munro, Sarah, Pieter de Groote, to Johnny Cook. Who was your favorite character in the story?

For me, Colonel Johnny Cook was my favorite character. Despite getting kidnapped into the Malay jungle, he had this poise and adaptability that made me forget more than one that he was being held against his wishes. I enjoyed his perspective throughout the book and how easy he made friends.
What about you?
I really liked Sarah's character, although she seemed a bit unnecessary to the plot. I wish she had more opportunity to shine!
I don't think I'll deem her as unnecessary, after all, she did most of the tracking and they would have been lost. And I think, she shone most because of her skills.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

mcdonaldchola wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 13:05 My favorite characters are Jacko and his young sister Sarah. Their combined tracking skills are second to none. The setting of the book would not be complete without the two.
I totally agree with this! It was almost like the book was made for them as Warammunga to shine.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

maxiphemmax wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 10:27 I'm with Johnny Cook on this. His perfect composure after being kidnapped is very commendable.
I think he conditioned his mind to be composed through the whole ordeal or else he would get killed sooner than planned.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Johnny was my favorite character. I was able to relate easily with his calm nature. I was also impressed by his skill in picking up new languages.
nagadurga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagadurga.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by nagadurga »

I liked Sarah's character and her skill of tracking. From this character i learned that "Make your presence known with your skills,even if you stay for a very little amount of time,where ever you go".
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

Colonel Johnny Cook. Hands down. He made being kidnapped seem fun.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

What about you?
I too liked johnny :D
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

My favorite character was Inspector Robert Douglas. He was not the most likeable character in the beginning, and he definitely has his flaws, but that made him one of the most relatable characters once he was taken into the jungle. While the others' survival and tracking skills were truly impressive, it was not necessarily something I could identify with. Inspector Douglas was the one who was tested the most because he truly was a fish out of water. When he was sent back after already being "rescued" in order to locate Colonel Martin's hut, he took his task seriously despite not really knowing how to go about it at first. In the end, he actually fared much better than Colonel Martin and contributed to the success of the rescue mission.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

Sarah is my favourite character in the story by far. But sadly she doesn't appear much.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I really liked Sarah. She's funny and incredibly talented at what she does. She doesn't get enough credit in the book and is often seen as second to Jacko (who is also great).
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I have to agree, by far for me, it has to be Johnny. His composure in that situation was amazing.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Most definitely Sarah. A strong, self-willed loving woman. And she remains consistent in all three books.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”