The relationship between sounds and echos

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
lyons-colby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyons-colby.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
2024 Reading Goal: 342
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

The relationship between sounds and echos

Post by lyons-colby »

Ok, I am probably over-analyzing this, but here goes...

I really like the concept of sounds and echos, and how when a sound is born, an echo is born as well. I do have some overly-analytical questions about this arrangement that I don't think were really answered in the book, however.

The first question I have is since echos seem to be made of some different state of matter or something than the sounds- since they are see-through, can fit inside small sound animals like falcons and birds, how is it really possible for a sound to have a child with an echo? Also, does the fact that an echo doesn't seem to be born the same way that a sound is cause a problem here as well? I'm probably over-thinking this, though! :lol:

Also, concerning "harmonies" I found it interesting that Auralius's echo was just an echo, not another harmony. When we are told that Auralius completed the second echo-sound pair necessary to pass through the obstacles to get to Olam Shone, the author states that this was because he was both his echo and his sound- but this isn't quite accurate since he had an echo, who was killed. (Anyone else feel this scene was a little overly graphic?)

But my big question is concerning families. This is probably going way too far, but for some reason, it's kept me thinking. From what the author tells us, it looks like Will and the prince's families pretty well match up. Will's sister's echo is the Prince's sister's echo. Will's dad's echo is the dead King's echo, and the usurper king's sound is Will's crazy uncle. Is this really realistic, though? Would Will's dad's echo (the king) necessarily have to have married Will's mom's echo? Is it possible that the prince's mom could have married the blonde kid next door instead of the king- and would this have made it so the prince wouldn't have been a prince? Anyways, silly questions- but I can't help but wonder. I'm also curious about what it is like when an echo is born and goes to his or her family... If they are born right when the sound is born and washed into Echoland, does the echo's family just wait until the current washes their new child in?

Anyways, this concept was very interesting, clever, and inventive- but for me, it does leave a lot of questions! :lol:
FionaSongbird
Currently Reading: The Killer Angels
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by FionaSongbird »

I had some of the same questions! What were the Echoes made of, anyway? It seemed inconsistent. And, if every Sound has an Echo, it begs the question: where to Echoes come from, anyway? They clearly aren't made in the usual way. Also, can Echoes have kids if all Echoes must have a Sound? And, as you mentioned, how are Echoes and Sounds able to have kids? Do the Harmonies also have Echoes? There are a lot of open questions, some of which might have some fairly disturbing answers. Best not to think about it too hard.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

The concept of sounds and echos can only be understood from the real point of view of our real world and the spirit world. Face it. When a man is killed in the dream world, he is also killed physically. This is why you hear of people who sleep and never wake up. If you try to figure out things from the way the author has put it, you may not get him right. Leave whatever you cannot understand alone. Remember, the author is trying to take you deeper into the world beyond this physical world.
lyons-colby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyons-colby.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
2024 Reading Goal: 342
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by lyons-colby »

FionaSongbird wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 16:08 I had some of the same questions! What were the Echoes made of, anyway? It seemed inconsistent. And, if every Sound has an Echo, it begs the question: where to Echoes come from, anyway? They clearly aren't made in the usual way. Also, can Echoes have kids if all Echoes must have a Sound? And, as you mentioned, how are Echoes and Sounds able to have kids? Do the Harmonies also have Echoes? There are a lot of open questions, some of which might have some fairly disturbing answers. Best not to think about it too hard.
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with these questions, Fiona Songbird! Thanks for replying to my post. :D I think you are right, it is best not to think too hard about this!
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Akpome1 wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 06:11 The concept of sounds and echos can only be understood from the real point of view of our real world and the spirit world. Face it. When a man is killed in the dream world, he is also killed physically. This is why you hear of people who sleep and never wake up. If you try to figure out things from the way the author has put it, you may not get him right. Leave whatever you cannot understand alone. Remember, the author is trying to take you deeper into the world beyond this physical world.
I tend to agree more with you. Echo and Sounds are just a representation of a greater mystery the author wishes to unravel. Its a theme that tries to explain the natural occurrence in our every day lives.
Many events and mysteries exist today that are beyond human comprehension.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

"What we do in this life will echo into Eternity"- Gladiator. This was going through my head during the entire reading.
Ddennis88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddennis88.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ddennis88 »

All interesting thoughts considering free will seems to be involved. I suppose these are questions that could be considered of life as well. Your "families" question is most intriguing to me. What makes a person choose another person? And what makes it happen in the echo as well? How would the story be different if the families weren't paralleled? Thank you for the thought provoking questions!
hmorgan90
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorgan90.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by hmorgan90 »

lyons-colby wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 22:49 Also, concerning "harmonies" I found it interesting that Auralius's echo was just an echo, not another harmony. When we are told that Auralius completed the second echo-sound pair necessary to pass through the obstacles to get to Olam Shone, the author states that this was because he was both his echo and his sound- but this isn't quite accurate since he had an echo, who was killed. (Anyone else feel this scene was a little overly graphic?)
I was confused at the logic behind this. Since a harmony is both a sound and echo, it would make sense that his Echo should be the same, a half sound and echo. And how a Sound and an Echo having a kid? All I could think of was that quote from Jurassic Park, "nature finds a way."
May we show increased kindness toward one another. ~Thomas S. Monson
:animals-frog:

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”