Becoming a fate sealer

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Re: Becoming a fate sealer

Post by Washboard »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:36
Washboard wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 19:09
Kro92813 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 20:21

I think you are right, but I kind of want to believe that they would be interconnected somehow! Lol

I mean in a sense they are - because even though Wills Sound family is just average every day normal - the families echos still are all in the same family (even if they are royalty). If sounds and echos arent interconnected in any way, then William and Emmys Echos wouldnt necessarily have to have been brother and sister right?
I think you may be right, now that I think about it. How else would Echos end up partnered with the equivalent person as their Sound counterpart, same number of kids, and so on?

Maybe it is only Echos are affected by the choices of their Sound? That could really suck. For example, if the Sound couple are well off and decide to have six kids, but the Echo couple are poor and can't afford them but have to have them anyway.
That is an amazing observation. If Sounds get married, must Echoes too so that any child has an Echo and vice versa? When a Sound couple divorces, must the Echoes divorce to in order to prevent the birth of an Echo without a Sound?
Exactly! Do the Echos not have any freedom of choice in this? That would be really depressing.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

evraealtana wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 11:46
Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 07:32 :o this just got deeper on a whole new level! And slightly more confusing haha it's as if Echos really dont have free will like sounds do
That was my interpretation, too - that Echoland is so reliant on "fate" and "fortune" because they don't really have choices in life, because their choices are made by someone else (their Sounds). They say things like "by Fortune's favor", when we (Sounds) have phrases like "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." We attribute events to our own actions, while Echoes attribute events to fate.
That is a really good point! Sounds have freedom of choice, but the Echos have to constantly mirror their Sound's actions, which would come across as fate.

How do Echos know what their respective Sound is up to? I know there are spies that report to Echoland, but do they really keep track of every person?
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Kro92813 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 20:21

I think you are right, but I kind of want to believe that they would be interconnected somehow! Lol

I mean in a sense they are - because even though Wills Sound family is just average every day normal - the families echos still are all in the same family (even if they are royalty). If sounds and echos arent interconnected in any way, then William and Emmys Echos wouldnt necessarily have to have been brother and sister right?
I think you may be right, now that I think about it. How else would Echos end up partnered with the equivalent person as their Sound counterpart, same number of kids, and so on?

Maybe it is only Echos are affected by the choices of their Sound? That could really suck. For example, if the Sound couple are well off and decide to have six kids, but the Echo couple are poor and can't afford them but have to have them anyway.
That is an amazing observation. If Sounds get married, must Echoes too so that any child has an Echo and vice versa? When a Sound couple divorces, must the Echoes divorce to in order to prevent the birth of an Echo without a Sound?
I also think Echos can't have children. Their children come from Sounds being born. So I don't think that would be an issue specifically.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Washboard wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 16:00 I also think Echos can't have children. Their children come from Sounds being born. So I don't think that would be an issue specifically.
Hmm, hadn't thought about that. How would that work, I wonder? If a Sound is born, an Echo must be born too - but without parents? Where does the newborn Echo materialize? Who cares for it? How does it go about growing up? So many questions...
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 15:57

Exactly! Do the Echos not have any freedom of choice in this? That would be really depressing.
I tend to think they really dont? I guess I sometimes view life in that respect that our oaths are preplanned out. I believe in fate to a degree, that yes we have the freedom to make choices, but maybe that choice was already a planned part of our path. The more i think about it the more my brain hurts though :P
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 18:54
Washboard wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 15:57

I tend to think they really dont? I guess I sometimes view life in that respect that our oaths are preplanned out. I believe in fate to a degree, that yes we have the freedom to make choices, but maybe that choice was already a planned part of our path. The more i think about it the more my brain hurts though :P
Hopefully with William as King there will be no more Fate Sealers being made
Dikay127
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dikay127.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dikay127 »

The process of creating a Fate Sealer kind of reminded me of the ritual in which you become a Silent Brother in the Shadowhunters Clockwork Angel series. They're both painful processes and bring forth a creepy, looking "person" with extraordinary powers that could be used to torture.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:30 What do you think of the process of creating a fate sealer? Pretty gruesome, eh? What do you think happens to the fate sealers sound in our realm?
I think the fate sealers Sounds were the thousand or so kidnapped Sounds in the Gravestone book. At the very least, I would like to think that nothing that horrible really exists in our world!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Dikay127 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 04:23 The process of creating a Fate Sealer kind of reminded me of the ritual in which you become a Silent Brother in the Shadowhunters Clockwork Angel series. They're both painful processes and bring forth a creepy, looking "person" with extraordinary powers that could be used to torture.
I've never heard of this series! But I imagine being tortured long enough would change a person!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

djr6090 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 09:38
Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:30 What do you think of the process of creating a fate sealer? Pretty gruesome, eh? What do you think happens to the fate sealers sound in our realm?
I think the fate sealers Sounds were the thousand or so kidnapped Sounds in the Gravestone book. At the very least, I would like to think that nothing that horrible really exists in our world!
That could be! It makes you wonder what happened to all of the people in the gravestone book! Were they killed? Did they end up in the orphanage? We only know they never came back
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 07:36
Dikay127 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 04:23 The process of creating a Fate Sealer kind of reminded me of the ritual in which you become a Silent Brother in the Shadowhunters Clockwork Angel series. They're both painful processes and bring forth a creepy, looking "person" with extraordinary powers that could be used to torture.
I've never heard of this series! But I imagine being tortured long enough would change a person!
But Silent brothers were selected as adults and it had to be consented. They also work to help the world their created into. Fate Sealers are bred without consent, created feom innocent children and work to terrorize the citizens of the world their born into.....just like Dementors.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 07:39
djr6090 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 09:38
That could be! It makes you wonder what happened to all of the people in the gravestone book! Were they killed? Did they end up in the orphanage? We only know they never came back
It could be true, but I fin it very hard to figure out why Fate Sealers would kidnap their Sounds...to kill them in another location or...?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Fate sealers are heartless, so it could be a way to finalize their inhumanity? To kill their other half? Plus they loathed life and reveled in torture - so theres that
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:27 Fate sealers are heartless, so it could be a way to finalize their inhumanity? To kill their other half? Plus they loathed life and reveled in torture - so theres that
I think it was more to do in how they were created. Their motor sensors were made to recognise joy in pain and torture. I imagine this is why they were raken so young, it is only as a child that these fundamental changes can be made to the human or Echo psyche.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Its definitly easier with children to manipulate them and change them completely. I think it could be done with adults, but it would take much much longer

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”