The killing law

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The killing law

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Moray_001 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 19:37 I’ve not read the book yet but I saw a pretty detailed description and the killing Law was mentioned. I think it’s pretty brutal but in Echoland it is used as a form of Checks and Balance, although it is a harsh law.
I think it was a brutal law too, but more shocking was the acceptance the people of Echoland took to it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 11:08
Wyland wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 06:22 The law may not be relevant in our world as its been established by decree as opposed to being natural. Thanks for the question.
This is probably true, but I like to think that sounds could be connected to their echoes. It would def add a new depth to the story
Yes, that is an interesting thought which I would hope the author explores in a sequel.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

The killing law is a law of the land, not the law of nature. It is only in effect because the king decreed it.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:27 The killing law is a law of the land, not the law of nature. It is only in effect because the king decreed it.
This is true! Because once it is (hopefully) abolished by William then this wouldn't even be a discussion anymore I suppose
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 12:50
Moray_001 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 19:37 I’ve not read the book yet but I saw a pretty detailed description and the killing Law was mentioned. I think it’s pretty brutal but in Echoland it is used as a form of Checks and Balance, although it is a harsh law.
I think it was a brutal law too, but more shocking was the acceptance the people of Echoland took to it.
You would be surprised at just how many things people accept these days. Even here in the real world. Echoland is like a mirror of the real world.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 14:20
Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:27 The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

What do you think happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Nothing? Maybe that's why car accidents or murders happen in our realm? What are your thoughts?
It's just a fiction book, but I think there's sense here. Sound and Echo realms are like spiritual and physical realms. If someone is killed spiritually, it would manifest physically. Nice thought, Kro.
Hmm interesting idea. What happens in the spiritual realm manifests in the physical. Nice one.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:27 The killing law is a law of the land, not the law of nature. It is only in effect because the king decreed it.
I completely agree with your assessment. The law only came into being when the False King had lost the crown to his brutish older brother after William's father died.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:39
This is true! Because once it is (hopefully) abolished by William then this wouldn't even be a discussion anymore I suppose
I think the first thing William will do as King is to abolish this law.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Moray_001 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:19
You would be surprised at just how many things people accept these days. Even here in the real world. Echoland is like a mirror of the real world.
Wow, that is a harsh realization when it comes to the kind of laws passed, like the Killing Law.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Moray_001 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:24
Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:27 The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

What do you think happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Nothing? Maybe that's why car accidents or murders happen in our realm? What are your thoughts?
It's just a fiction book, but I think there's sense here. Sound and Echo realms are like spiritual and physical realms. If someone is killed spiritually, it would manifest physically. Nice thought, Kro.
Hmm interesting idea. What happens in the spiritual realm manifests in the physical. Nice one.
I think more like the Killing law is part of another obscure law in the Sound Realm.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Moray_001 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:19
This is sad, yet true! It's crazy how many people will blindly follow those in power. It makes me think of Hitler and how so many were brainwashed by someone so crazy
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:47
Moray_001 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:24

I think more like the Killing law is part of another obscure law in the Sound Realm.
What do you have in mind?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 00:44
I completely agree with your assessment. The law only came into being when the False King had lost the crown to his brutish older brother after William's father died.
See this is where things got a bit confusing for me. Like you, I thought the false king enacted the law to kill his brother to take over the throne. But the law was enacted around 250 yrs ago by a different king who was murdered by his brother using the law of death (who then became king and decreed that kings were to be exempt from the law in the future). The false king had only been on the throne for 4 months by the time Will came into the picture. He wanted to use the killing law to prevent prince William from proving his fathers innocence (which would put him as heir to the throne). So the group we see in the chrystillery showing the king dieing was NOT the false King and prince William's dad. I originally thought that too. And the false king did not put the law into place. It was already decreed long before he came along
Dikay127
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dikay127.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dikay127 »

That's definitely an interesting thought. I never imagined that if an echo dies first that maybe that's why there are accidents, etc that happen in the sound realm. I personally believe nothing happens to them. I think the fate sealers were more concerned with keeping their realm under law.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Dikay127 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:32 That's definitely an interesting thought. I never imagined that if an echo dies first that maybe that's why there are accidents, etc that happen in the sound realm. I personally believe nothing happens to them. I think the fate sealers were more concerned with keeping their realm under law.
I think you are right! Nothing probably happens. I like how a PP mentioned that maybe when an Echo is killed first it effects the Sounds spirit (as in causes depression or feelings of loss). Sort of an interesting take on things!

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”