The Purpose for Pets

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

The Purpose for Pets

Post by Washboard »

What do you think was the purpose of the orphanage giving pets to the children residing there? It seemed like it wasn't explained, other than it was a standing tradition. I almost felt the children choosing pets was a strange and unnecessary addition to the story. What do you think?
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Yeah it definitly was not explained why they were given a pet (maybe to have a companion since the children there have been cast away from their families?). I think it was a way to tie in Damian and Dea - the wolf and falcon at the beginning of the book, but I mean Will choosing Wolfea really wasn't that significant to the plot. Wolfea's story was getting adopted by Will, tied up in a tree kennel, then escaping to Olam Shone with Will. She didnt significantly help Will in any way and wasn't a very helpful supporting role.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Kro92813 wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 04:34 Yeah it definitly was not explained why they were given a pet (maybe to have a companion since the children there have been cast away from their families?). I think it was a way to tie in Damian and Dea - the wolf and falcon at the beginning of the book, but I mean Will choosing Wolfea really wasn't that significant to the plot. Wolfea's story was getting adopted by Will, tied up in a tree kennel, then escaping to Olam Shone with Will. She didnt significantly help Will in any way and wasn't a very helpful supporting role.
I agree. I felt like the pets didn't progress the plot at all, other than maybe showing Will's compassion a bit more by rescuing Wolfea and caring for her. It felt really out of place to me.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 21:14
Kro92813 wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 04:34 Yeah it definitly was not explained why they were given a pet (maybe to have a companion since the children there have been cast away from their families?). I think it was a way to tie in Damian and Dea - the wolf and falcon at the beginning of the book, but I mean Will choosing Wolfea really wasn't that significant to the plot. Wolfea's story was getting adopted by Will, tied up in a tree kennel, then escaping to Olam Shone with Will. She didnt significantly help Will in any way and wasn't a very helpful supporting role.
I agree. I felt like the pets didn't progress the plot at all, other than maybe showing Will's compassion a bit more by rescuing Wolfea and caring for her. It felt really out of place to me.
I also think there was a lot of missed opportunity for the pets - namely Wolfea - to be heroic in some way. When the group visited olam shone, Poudini and Wolfea just trotted on ahead of the group. When Peter and Will were clinging for dear life in the raging river, Wolfea could have rescued them...or when the spiders were attacking she could have attacked back. When Warloch killed the wolf pups she could have done something...
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I liked that the children were given pets but I do wish it would have been explained why. Perhaps as a form of comfort to them so they wouldn't feel alone without family?
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Yeah, I agree. When something is said to be a tradition you obviously expect something interesting from it. Like, when you choose the pet, it'll be some sort of a guardian. Or, the pet, idk, can turn into sth else when you're in danger and help you... But no, here there was no use for the pets, which was a disappointment.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Maybe I'm reading into something that isn't there, but I saw the adoption of pets as a way to teach children about responsibility and compassion. Plus, Echoland can be volatile at times and a pet can offer comfort. There was also a scenario where Poudini and Wolfea comforted each other. If the animals hadn't been included, I'm not so sure I would have liked this book as much.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Kro92813 wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 23:37
Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 21:14
Kro92813 wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 04:34
I also think there was a lot of missed opportunity for the pets - namely Wolfea - to be heroic in some way. When the group visited olam shone, Poudini and Wolfea just trotted on ahead of the group. When Peter and Will were clinging for dear life in the raging river, Wolfea could have rescued them...or when the spiders were attacking she could have attacked back. When Warloch killed the wolf pups she could have done something...
Agreed. There were many opportunities for the pets to play a larger role. Maybe they will in future books, if there is a follow up story.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 21:21 Maybe I'm reading into something that isn't there, but I saw the adoption of pets as a way to teach children about responsibility and compassion. Plus, Echoland can be volatile at times and a pet can offer comfort. There was also a scenario where Poudini and Wolfea comforted each other. If the animals hadn't been included, I'm not so sure I would have liked this book as much.
I enjoyed the pets being in the story, it just seemed like it wasn't well explained to me why they were there. I went with the assumption that they were there to comfort the children, as well as the other reasons you mentioned. I wish the tradition had been explained more fully and have the pets play a bigger role in the story.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Noosh wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 02:04 Yeah, I agree. When something is said to be a tradition you obviously expect something interesting from it. Like, when you choose the pet, it'll be some sort of a guardian. Or, the pet, idk, can turn into sth else when you're in danger and help you... But no, here there was no use for the pets, which was a disappointment.
It almost seemed they were put in place to create a parallel to a patronus in Harry Potter series or daemons in the Golden Compass series, but weren't given the backstory to make it work.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

B Creech wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 01:33 I liked that the children were given pets but I do wish it would have been explained why. Perhaps as a form of comfort to them so they wouldn't feel alone without family?
I think that was probably the intention, but wasn't actually explained anywhere.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Washboard wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 23:40
Noosh wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 02:04 Yeah, I agree. When something is said to be a tradition you obviously expect something interesting from it. Like, when you choose the pet, it'll be some sort of a guardian. Or, the pet, idk, can turn into sth else when you're in danger and help you... But no, here there was no use for the pets, which was a disappointment.
It almost seemed they were put in place to create a parallel to a patronus in Harry Potter series or daemons in the Golden Compass series, but weren't given the backstory to make it work.
Okay, why is everyone comparing this to HP?
Am I the only one who doesn’t see it? :lol:
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Washboard wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 23:37
Chrystal Oaks wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 21:21 Maybe I'm reading into something that isn't there, but I saw the adoption of pets as a way to teach children about responsibility and compassion. Plus, Echoland can be volatile at times and a pet can offer comfort. There was also a scenario where Poudini and Wolfea comforted each other. If the animals hadn't been included, I'm not so sure I would have liked this book as much.
I enjoyed the pets being in the story, it just seemed like it wasn't well explained to me why they were there. I went with the assumption that they were there to comfort the children, as well as the other reasons you mentioned. I wish the tradition had been explained more fully and have the pets play a bigger role in the story.
That makes sense. It would have been nice to see how the tradition started.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Noosh wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 00:04
Washboard wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 23:40
Noosh wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 02:04
Okay, why is everyone comparing this to HP?
Am I the only one who doesn’t see it? :lol:
I didn't think it was that similar to Harry Potter for the most part, but the pets thing made me think "Oh... Like a patronus."
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I read this book back in February and I still think there was no reason for there to be pets. I think it was thrown in as a tool for some conflict, but it never really had a solid place in the books.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”