Friendship

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Friendship

Post by Benthic »

The book deals with a lot of themes in which one is the bond of friendship. In this book we see Will gathering a lot of friends in not only people but animals as well and these friends are the ones who help him pull through the quests and achieve his goal not much unlike real life. What is your take on this?
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I agree, without the help of his friends, Emmy, and his pets, Will wouldn't have been able to make it. I definitely think we need to be surrounded by the right people in life to succeed.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

He wouldnt have been able to do any of what he did without help. Damian and Dea helped him from the very beginning. Frankenstein guided him in the right direction. Peter was by his side the entire time. Emmy helped in secret. Valerie helped on the sidelines. They wouldnt have been able to even get into Olam shone without each other!

I think with most things in life - it is more enjoyable and easier to accomplish tasks when you have someone to help you out
Benthic
Currently Reading:

Post by Benthic »

Kro92813 wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 04:43 He wouldnt have been able to do any of what he did without help. Damian and Dea helped him from the very beginning. Frankenstein guided him in the right direction. Peter was by his side the entire time. Emmy helped in secret. Valerie helped on the sidelines. They wouldnt have been able to even get into Olam shone without each other!

I think with most things in life - it is more enjoyable and easier to accomplish tasks when you have someone to help you out
Yes and it made the story relatable and felt a lot more real.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I think the help Will received from others shows the value of friendship. To me, the others helping him made the story more realistic. Where would any of us be without friends?
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

HeatherEi wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 12:51 I agree, without the help of his friends, Emmy, and his pets, Will wouldn't have been able to make it. I definitely think we need to be surrounded by the right people in life to succeed.
I agree; in order to be successful or accomplished something people generally need some help along the way. I am sure Will wouldn't have had as much success had he been doing everything himself.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Friendship is one of those things that you cannot put a price on. The people that Will had around him contributed to his success. The saying that we are the sum total of our network is true in this case.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

The value of friendship is one of the most precious in our lives. I always love books where friendship is an important part of the story, and The Crystilleries of Echoland is one of those books. I like the presence of friends adn how they can be helpful. I think that something in this book would be missing without them.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This is definitely one of the big themes for this book. I don't think Will would have made it without his friends. Also, his friendship with Peter added humor to the story.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Without the right people in our lives, you may as well squash success like a bug. Negative people are the worst thing for someone to get ahead and have success. Positive and uplifting people are the key to happiness and success. :D
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

The bond of friendship was my favorite part of the book! Peter in particular was such a good friend to Will. From the start he was immediately loyal even when he barely knew him. He risked his life numerous times, and spent all of his free time helping Will.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I loved how you could watch Peter and Will’s friendship grow over the course of the novel. Their loyalty to each other and care for each other by the end of the story was very heartwarming to see.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

Friendship is important and I think Will would not have achieved his goals without the friends. Even in real life, having genuine friends around you eases pressures of life and makes the sail a bit easier.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Yeah. There's a lot of emphasis in the nook on the value of friendship and collaboration. Most of what they achieved couldn't have been done alone, like translating the book, so I think that's a definite theme in there.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Benthic
Currently Reading:

Post by Benthic »

B Creech wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 04:51 I think the help Will received from others shows the value of friendship. To me, the others helping him made the story more realistic. Where would any of us be without friends?
Yes. Exactly this book reminds me of Harry Potter a lot and one of the things that does so is the idea of friendship in these books is similar.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”