The best pet in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Re: The best pet in the story?

Post by djr6090 »

Definitely the wolf. The story was kind of cute in that each one of the castaway children was required to chose a pet. Don't you wonder if all the pets had Sounds to pair up with? The albatross did.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

djr6090 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 08:23 Definitely the wolf. The story was kind of cute in that each one of the castaway children was required to chose a pet. Don't you wonder if all the pets had Sounds to pair up with? The albatross did.
Wolfea was an excellent companion to Will during his adventure, but the mystery of what Will saw in Olám Shoné suggesting Wolfea is from there. How was She able to come and go from there?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

wordslinger42 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 10:58
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 04:22 From the selection of pets in Echoland-Wolfeá and those of the wild, insects, or a wandering Albertross of the echo and Sound kind- which would you prefer for yourself?
I would definitely choose Wolfea! I loved the role that pets played in the story. If it were me, I would definitely want a pet like Wolfea who could defend me and be a real companion.
I felt Wolfèa as a pet was amazingly helpful to Will in his adventure, but I question the torture she faced by being domesticated for Will's sake.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

wordslinger42 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 10:58
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 04:22 From the selection of pets in Echoland-Wolfeá and those of the wild, insects, or a wandering Albertross of the echo and Sound kind- which would you prefer for yourself?
I would definitely choose Wolfea! I loved the role that pets played in the story. If it were me, I would definitely want a pet like Wolfea who could defend me and be a real companion.
If the owner and pet end up mimicking each others behaviour, then Wolfea is the best pet because of her wild nature.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 07:07 I would choose Wolfeá! I like the way she helped Will in his quest.
Wolfea was an excellent companion to Will and helped him in his adventure, this makes her an ideal selection for a pet.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

jasmine-louise wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:37 I love Wolfeá, I would definitely have chosen Wolfeá for myself. Although can I just say I for one am glad Will did not pick a cockroach!! They are my worst nightmare.
Wolfèa was an excellent selection for a pet, but will had been given specific instructions to pick a cockroach. I wonder whether Echoland cockroaches have any unique capabilities.
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

My vote is for Valerie's albatross. By flying the albatross must mean that there is a high level of understanding between the pet and Valerie. Also unlike Wolfea and Poudini ( though they go with Will and Peter on their quest to find Olam Shone) Valerie's albatross is extremely useful.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:57
jasmine-louise wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:37 I love Wolfeá, I would definitely have chosen Wolfeá for myself. Although can I just say I for one am glad Will did not pick a cockroach!! They are my worst nightmare.
I think (and hope!) Damien meant this sarcastically. As in to stay under the radar and not draw unwanted attention to himself like he did by choosing a wild wolf
Wolfèa was an excellent selection for a pet, but will had been given specific instructions to pick a cockroach. I wonder whether Echoland cockroaches have any unique capabilities.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

little_nell15 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 15:20 My vote is for Valerie's albatross. By flying the albatross must mean that there is a high level of understanding between the pet and Valerie. Also unlike Wolfea and Poudini ( though they go with Will and Peter on their quest to find Olam Shone) Valerie's albatross is extremely useful.
Yes I was also disappointed that wolfea and poudini did nothing to help while in olam shone. I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunity there! For instance, when Will and Peter were stuck in the river wolfea could easily have come to the rescue! Same with the fog and the spiders.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

djr6090 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 08:23 Definitely the wolf. The story was kind of cute in that each one of the castaway children was required to chose a pet. Don't you wonder if all the pets had Sounds to pair up with? The albatross did.
The Wandering Albatross would be my selection and hopefully my spirit animal.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

little_nell15 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 15:20 My vote is for Valerie's albatross. By flying the albatross must mean that there is a high level of understanding between the pet and Valerie. Also unlike Wolfea and Poudini ( though they go with Will and Peter on their quest to find Olam Shone) Valerie's albatross is extremely useful.
Of alll the children who entered the opharnage with Will, Valerie can be said to have had the most adventure with her Albertross. Her pet was extremely useful to her and would be the perfect pet for an adventurer.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 21:26
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:57
I think (and hope!) Damien meant this sarcastically. As in to stay under the radar and not draw unwanted attention to himself like he did by choosing a wild wolf
You highlighted my conversation but failed to add anything to it, why?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:10
Yes I was also disappointed that wolfea and poudini did nothing to help while in olam shone. I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunity there! For instance, when Will and Peter were stuck in the river wolfea could easily have come to the rescue! Same with the fog and the spiders.
Both were situations where Will and Peter could get through by themselves, realistically. Poudini and Wolfeá were amazing pets who were extremely useful to them despite this one incident.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

I had not thought about the high level of understsnding between Valerie and the Albatross. But since it is a unique pet, it must have a unique bond with its owner. This is why I would love an Albatross for a pet.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

I think they all would have sounds and echoes. At the beginning of the book when Will finds out about Damien and dea they explain that every living thing has an Echo. That includes people animals and plants.

The albatross that valerie chose was a sound and I'm pretty confident Wolfea and appudini were sounds as well

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”