Questions for the author

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Questions for the author

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:21
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:30 Teal is a vague character in the story. What is he capabke of and did he leave his home during the story?
And its Tear, not Teal :lol2:
Yes, thank you for the correction. It was as a result of quick typing and closely placed letters.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 03:35 If you got the chance to ask the author of this book one question, what would it be?

I would be interested to know if a sequel is planned.
I would like to know where the author got the inspiration for this story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

jemgirl202 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:33
gali wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 03:35 If you got the chance to ask the author of this book one question, what would it be?

I would be interested to know if a sequel is planned.
I would like to know where the author got the inspiration for this story.
The concept of Sounds and Echoes seems quite natural. The closest simlarity I can think of is that of Daemons in the Golden Compass.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:27 When did the Killing Law come into effect and the process of getting it enacted?
My best guess is 250 years ago. when they view the kings death in the royal shekel that's when he flips the coin to choose the next king of his two brothers. The knight becomes King - his brother then convinces him to enact the law (through his royal decree). Then his brother finds the kings sound and has him murdered so he can become king via the new law . Qhen drinkwater is explaining the shekel to Will he says: "“For two hundred and fifty years, no king has ruled without this coin as proof that Fortune is on his side". So thats my best guess
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:46
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:27 When did the Killing Law come into effect and the process of getting it enacted?
My best guess is 250 years ago. when they view the kings death in the royal shekel that's when he flips the coin to choose the next king of his two brothers. The knight becomes King - his brother then convinces him to enact the law (through his royal decree). Then his brother finds the kings sound and has him murdered so he can become king via the new law . Qhen drinkwater is explaining the shekel to Will he says: "“For two hundred and fifty years, no king has ruled without this coin as proof that Fortune is on his side". So thats my best guess
I still need the verification of the author not a best case estimate.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 20:33
Washboard wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 19:32 A discussion on a different comment thread made me want to ask this here also:

Do the Echos have free choice, or do their lives have to follow that of their Sound? Or is there some other force (Fate?) that guides the actions of both Echos and Sounds to live similar lives? How would the situation where Will's family are ordinary citizens, but the Echo family are royalty?

If there is free choice, how would Echos accommodate new births that were not wanted from the Echo parents (since the birth of an Echo occurs in the Sound realm with the birth of the Sound)?
This also sort of brings up the issue of mongrels. That's a Sound and an Echo having a child - so what happens to their other halves? Do they get together and have a half-breed child too?
Good point! If harmonies can exist, that must mean that Echos are capable of reproducing. Can they only reproduce with a Sound, or can two Echos have a child? Does that Echo also have a Sound born in the other realm somehow?
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Washboard wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 15:36
Washboard wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 19:32 A discussion on a different comment thread made me want to ask this here also:

Do the Echos have free choice, or do their lives have to follow that of their Sound? Or is there some other force (Fate?) that guides the actions of both Echos and Sounds to live similar lives? How would the situation where Will's family are ordinary citizens, but the Echo family are royalty?

If there is free choice, how would Echos accommodate new births that were not wanted from the Echo parents (since the birth of an Echo occurs in the Sound realm with the birth of the Sound)?
This also sort of brings up the issue of mongrels. That's a Sound and an Echo having a child - so what happens to their other halves? Do they get together and have a half-breed child too?
Good point! If harmonies can exist, that must mean that Echos are capable of reproducing. Can they only reproduce with a Sound, or can two Echos have a child? Does that Echo also have a Sound born in the other realm somehow?
This is the same question I wanted to ask. If two Sound Parents divorced without children, must the Echoes divorce too? What if a child is born before the split, what happens to its Sound in our Realm.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I would like to know if he inspired his idea of Plato's Allegory of the Cave. I know it's a nerdy question :P, but I've been wondering since I read the review...
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:17 Are there any children of Fate Sealers in Olám Shoné?
Creepy thought! And would they torture their own to make them as evil as they are?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 12:21
:roll: :roll2: :lol2: :lol2:
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 16:46

This is the same question I wanted to ask. If two Sound Parents divorced without children, must the Echoes divorce too? What if a child is born before the split, what happens to its Sound in our Realm.
I dont think it would be possible for an Echo to be born before a Sound. Because when a sound is born it's Echo is washed down the rivers and streams into Echoland.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Lunastella wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 20:11 I would like to know if he inspired his idea of Plato's Allegory of the Cave. I know it's a nerdy question :P, but I've been wondering since I read the review...
what is Plato's Allegory of the cave?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

I dont think it would be possible for an Echo to be born before a Sound. Because when a sound is born it's Echo is washed down the rivers and streams into Echoland. So maybe two echos could try to have a child, but wouldn't conceive unless their sounds did first?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:27
Kro92813 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 11:19
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 04:53

How many Sounds live in Echoland with their Echos, if any?
And can sounds live anywhere else in echoland besides shadowpain or the orphanage?! My interpretation is if a Sound is brought to Echoland it is to be killed.
I have numerous mentions in the book that contradict this. Drinkwater shouod be enough.
He was a teacher at the Orphanage, so again - he was living in the Orphanage AKA the safe haven. He fell in love with Cully Flower (An Echo) that worked at the Orphanage. So I would be curious if a sound could live anywhere else besides the orphanage. Drinkwater was granted a safe passage ring which is why he could go between the realms.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:50
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 12:21

:roll: :roll2: :lol2: :lol2:
Mathematician and accuracy, sorry.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”